Changes in the air

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

True and I (like other people in that situation) would suffer through that but also concerning to me is the persistent rumors that extending the tourist visa past 59 days might be more difficult.

I can't help but think they will continue to let tourists extend their visa.  You just don't kill the goose that lays golden eggs.  But maybe that is wistful thinking on my part.

• Hmm thinking 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I can't help but think they will continue to let tourists extend their visa.  You just don't kill the goose that lays golden eggs.  But maybe that is wistful thinking on my part.

I'm sure the Chinese thought the same before it was introduced that they only get 30 days. The were the biggest tourism customers with the BI

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Add to that the current long quarantine on arrival, and you have fairly well canceled "real" tourists.  The only "tourists" who will endure that are those who do not have a permanent visa and want to visit family or girlfriends really bad.

Even when they eventually do away with the quarantine on arrival, me thinks the visa first policy will have a negative effect on tourism. 

I wonder how many people will book a flight, show up at the airport and be told they can’t check in because they don’t have a visa. Or worse, how many will slip thru the cracks and arrive in the Phils, then get turned around and sent back. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

51 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I'm sure the Chinese thought the same before it was introduced that they only get 30 days. The were the biggest tourism customers with the BI

On one hand, you'd like to think so, Mike.  On the other, Snowy raised an excellent counter to it.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Gator said:

I wonder how many people will book a flight, show up at the airport and be told they can’t check in because they don’t have a visa. Or worse, how many will slip thru the cracks and arrive in the Phils, then get turned around and sent back. 

Yes, but it's the same as with any country we need a visa for, we have to check what's needed in advance.  Don't they have some guidance when we book online advising what's required?  And, if we get as far as arriving here the airline is going to get hear for allowing us to travel. 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Yes, but it's the same as with any country we need a visa for, we have to check what's needed in advance. 

True... but when was the last time one of us forum members (who mostly have first world passports from the USA, UK, Australia and other western countries) were required to arrange a VISA before travelling to another country?

The USA has the ESTA but thats done online and isn't actually a VISA, EU countries don't even need that.

USA, UK and NZ passport holders can go to 187 countries (us Aussies have a paltry 185 choices) and the vast majority of those countries are either Visa Free or Visa upon arrival.

How many people (and I'm not talking about people with family connections to the country like me) how many of those are going to say "that is too hard" I'll go somewhere else.  A lot...

Look I get that it's frustrating seeing Visa free entry to your country when they don't do the same for you (the Philppines passport is only about 70? 72? Countries and most of them are lower income or middle income countries) but this seems like a case of Cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

True... but when was the last time one of us forum members (who mostly have first world passports from the USA, UK, Australia and other western countries) were required to arrange a VISA before travelling to another country?

The USA has the ESTA but thats done online and isn't actually a VISA, EU countries don't even need that.

USA, UK and NZ passport holders can go to 187 countries (us Aussies have a paltry 185 choices) and the vast majority of those countries are either Visa Free or Visa upon arrival.

How many people (and I'm not talking about people with family connections to the country like me) how many of those are going to say "that is too hard" I'll go somewhere else.  A lot...

Look I get that it's frustrating seeing Visa free entry to your country when they don't do the same for you (the Philppines passport is only about 70? 72? Countries and most of them are lower income or middle income countries) but this seems like a case of Cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

I don't disagree, but as far as I recall when making reservations for flights we are advised what visa requirements there are, at least as far as I recall we are - maybe that's changed since I last booked online though.  And surely we wouldn't be allowed to board a flight without the necessary visa - I've watched enough TV documentaries to know that? 

I 100% agree it doesn't make sense in terms of the tourism industry on the face of it, but how many actual "tourists" would need the visa extension anyway if it only kicks in after 59 days?  Tourists tend to come for a week or two, maybe three but 2 months won't be the norm.  

At the end of the day, for those looking to make the Philippines their home they do have other visa options such as 13a and SRRV if applicable - how many locals would be able to rock up to our respective countries and stay as long as they wished by extending a tourist visa ad-infinitum?

I don't mean to be so harsh or blunt but...

• Like 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I don't disagree, but as far as I recall when making reservations for flights we are advised what visa requirements there are, at least as far as I recall we are - maybe that's changed since I last booked online though.  And surely we wouldn't be allowed to board a flight without the necessary visa - I've watched enough TV documentaries to know that? 

I 100% agree it doesn't make sense in terms of the tourism industry on the face of it, but how many actual "tourists" would need the visa extension anyway if it only kicks in after 59 days?  Tourists tend to come for a week or two, maybe three but 2 months won't be the norm.  

At the end of the day, for those looking to make the Philippines their home they do have other visa options such as 13a and SRRV if applicable - how many locals would be able to rock up to our respective countries and stay as long as they wished by extending a tourist visa ad-infinitum?

I don't mean to be so harsh or blunt but...

You're not being either harsh or blunt :cheersty:

And you make some good points... I just wish I hadn't let SWMBO talk me out of putting $20,000 US into an SRRV "no rush Geoffrey you can get a long term Visa later.  Once your things are sold or put into storage in Aussie and you come back here... maybe the other one" (the 13a).

As it is now an SRRV has to be processed in the Philippines and a 13a requires a marriage  (which was going to be planned.. no doubt at great length... once I came back there, but of course Covid happened and by the time I'd finished arranging things here the aussie borders were locked down).

So if I'm sounding a bit... peeved... I apologize, it's been a very long time in Aussie instead of the 6 months it was supposed to be (which was almost up when the borders were shut).

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, GeoffH said:

True and I (like other people in that situation) would suffer through that but also concerning to me is the persistent rumors that extending the tourist visa past 59 days might be more difficult.

Rumors

Can you show me anything official regarding this rumor?  If you read the BI embassy site when getting a visa from Australia for example it says max of 59 days and always has but we all know it can be extended but some people seem to just listen to what someone said and spread it without any real reasoning.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Rumors

Can you show me anything official regarding this rumor? 

No, it's just a rumor that seems to keep coming back around.

Maybe it's just that or maybe the old adage "where there is smoke there is fire" applies.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.