Lowest cost options for sending $1-2K USD to the Philippines

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 8/26/2021 at 5:19 AM, Balisidar said:

I usually use transfer wise or wise as they're known now.

Never had any problems with that amount using them.  Low fees and also getting lower.

Wow....wished had heard of them earlier, always been using Orbit Remit.  Signed up with Wise, made a transfer  and received funds same day. Rate considerably better than orbit....hind site.......if only.

• Like 2

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
On 8/26/2021 at 5:19 AM, Balisidar said:

I usually use transfer wise or wise as they're known now.

Never had any problems with that amount using them.  Low fees and also getting lower.

(Trasfer)wise is the best in terms of cross-currency rates and costs, but there is a catch: the receiver must have a bank account. Many of the poorer Filipinos are unbanked.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, RBM said:

Wow....wished had heard of them earlier, always been using Orbit Remit.  Signed up with Wise, made a transfer  and received funds same day. Rate considerably better than orbit....hind site.......if only.

Transferwise has been mentioned on this forum for years in different topics. Surprised you have not heard of them. 

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Transferwise has been mentioned on this forum for years in different topics. Surprised you have not heard of them. 

Yes how ever never checked on it as orbit remit offered such a wonderful service and seem to have Kiwi market pretty much sown up.

From first peep at wise it seems one is able open an account in any currency. This could be an advantage if I go the route of retirement visa as transferring from a NZ bank is rather a rip off, fees and rates are shocking.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
Frank from Boston
Posted
Posted
On 8/29/2021 at 10:27 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Another strategy especially if sending a large cash amount once and awhile is to try a new option to send. Example, I read on this forum about WorldRemit. I downloaded it and they said that the first three transfers will have Zero fees etc.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Frank from Boston said:

Another strategy especially if sending a large cash amount once and awhile is to try a new option to send. Example, I read on this forum about WorldRemit. I downloaded it and they said that the first three transfers will have Zero fees etc.

Certainly not a new option for me as I already said I use worldremit and have for years. You will find every now and then they will give you more free transfers or discount.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Frank from Boston
Posted
Posted

I used tranferwise. Once they get to see you using them consistently, you'll see that it's not as good anymore. Like anything, pay attention. If I recall, with me the exchange rate was terrible.