Health Insurance for retirees living permanently in PI

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

As for Pacific Cross, when I looked into getting medical insurance, the total amount of cover was only 200,000php with a premium of over 40,000php. And that was on a reimbursement basis. For that kind of cover I would prefer to self insure. There are other providers available but for those of us aged 70+ the premium really becomes prohibitive! 

I recall when member Mike B had a head on with a truck that Pacific Cross tookcare of all his hospital bill and well over 200K. 

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

I would think most of us have PhilHealth. It is relatively inexpensive and both my wife and her family have used it on occasion. In practice it seems to cover about 20% of the total bill, which is paid to the hospital directly, you don’t need to wait to get it reimbursed. As far as I know PhilHealth don’t run any hospitals, the treatment they had was carried out in a good (by local standards) private hospital, with a private room. You don’t need to use a public hospital unless you so choose. 

As for Pacific Cross, when I looked into getting medical insurance, the total amount of cover was only 200,000php with a premium of over 40,000php. And that was on a reimbursement basis. For that kind of cover I would prefer to self insure. There are other providers available but for those of us aged 70+ the premium really becomes prohibitive! 

It's a little vague as to exactly how much Philhealth cover - it varies according to specific treatments.  When my son cut his arm and needed stitches Philhealth covered all the doctor/staff fee but we had to pay for the "supplies" - total for us was around 1,000php.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 8/25/2021 at 12:38 AM, dragonfly58 said:

Does anyone have some insight on coverages that don't escalate rapidly after age 70/5/80?  

This site says no increase as you age. Covered up until 80

https://www.paramountdirect.com/health-insurance/premium-healthcare-plus-plan

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

This site says no increase as you age. Covered up until 80

Seems like the only way that would work is if the premiums were incredibly high, they never paid claims, accident only and not for disease etc., or the premium stayed flat and the benefits become much smaller as you age, or possibly all three.  I sent them an a request for an application to see what they offer.  

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 9/13/2021 at 6:33 AM, Mike J said:

Seems like the only way that would work is if the premiums were incredibly high, they never paid claims, accident only and not for disease etc., or the premium stayed flat and the benefits become much smaller as you age, or possibly all three.  I sent them an a request for an application to see what they offer.  

I received an email back.  Because I am a foreigner they will only send me an application if I first send them a copy of my ACR card and passport with visa.  I am not willing to do that just for the sake of researching the company's product. :1927_:

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 9/18/2021 at 7:38 AM, Mike J said:

I received an email back.  Because I am a foreigner they will only send me an application if I first send them a copy of my ACR card and passport with visa.  I am not willing to do that just for the sake of researching the company's product. :1927_:

That's a good way of doing business. Why an application rather than information to help make a decision for purchase? 

I guess the wife or someone should have asked.

:shock_40_anim_gif::89: :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 3