Six month visa

Clermont
Posted
Posted

What problem can anyone see with coming in and out of the PI's every six months? 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was doing that until Covid hit so I could legally stay an Aussie resident but it's going to be more expensive and complicated right now, if it's even possible.

The Aussie government aren't giving exit passes unless you can prove you have a good reason (and lots with good reasons under the regs are getting knocked back) or you're relocating permanently.

The 6 months thing wouldn't meet the permanent relocation requirement I suspect.

I would consult an immigration consultant in Aussie, this is a bit of a can of worms.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, GeoffH said:

The Aussie government aren't giving exit passes unless you can prove you have a good reason (and lots with good reasons under the regs are getting knocked back) or you're relocating permanently.

Geoff, are you saying you must have an exit pass/permission to travel from Australia even if you are a citizen? 

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
Just now, Peaceful John said:

Geoff, are you saying you must have an exit pass/permission to travel from Australia even if you are a citizen? 

Yes that is the situation at the moment (not saying I approve of that, I don't, but it is the situation).

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/leaving-australia

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Basically the Australian government are terrified about people wanting to come back into the country if they are let out, because they did not have any vision to build quarantine facilities to handle us convicts coming back into the country, so if they don’t let us out then no problems with quarantining us when we want to come back.

Did that make sense?

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Yes that is the situation at the moment (not saying I approve of that, I don't, but it is the situation).

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/leaving-australia

When they tightened the rules about 4(?) weeks ago,  my exemption was cancelled.  When I contacted DFAT they stated that they'd basically cancelled all exemptions as a reset based on the new rules.  Doesn't make me any less nervous though. 

• Sad 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

So Brett do you have to start the process all,over again?

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

So Brett do you have to start the process all,over again?

Yes but not so onerous this time.  I already have all the evidence and paperwork required.  I'm going to hold off a bit though, I have no plans to move until January next year so things may or may not change by then. 

• Like 3

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Yes, the masses might be lapping up the latest BS from the NSW premier about international travel resuming by December for those vaccinated, personally I think it is just another carrot on a stick.

I have given up watching any of the news channels, when all that is on is this COVID shite, I do wine tasting and listen to music instead..

• Like 4