Discrimination or new normal?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Here in Cebu city the mayor once again has gone on sick leave handing over to vice mayor. Today he announce vaccinated people with at least one shot can eat at indoor restaurant's or visit spas, barbershops etc.

Where this is perhaps good for some business although the vaccinated rate is still low it discriminates against people like me who are not eligible for vaccine even if there was some.

My partner has had her first shot and second due next week so she can dine in while I watch through the window in the hot sun. :no:

Cebu City allows indoor dining, salon services for vaxxed persons

ADDITIONAL perks for vaccinated individuals: Indoor dining in restaurants and personal care services in spas and salons.

The Cebu City Government stressed this in Executive Order (EO) 138, which was issued by Acting Mayor Michael Rama Thursday, September 2, 2021.

The EO, referred to as “Oplan Puyo 9-2-7,” stated that “food preparation establishments such as kiosks, commissaries, restaurants and eateries are allowed to operate outdoor dine-in services (al fresco) at 50 percent capacity, while indoor dine-in services though allowed is limited at 10 percent capacity and for Covid-19 vaccinated customers only” while Cebu City is under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ).

It added that personal care services limited to beauty salons, barbershops, beauty parlors, and nail spas are also allowed to operate at 30 percent capacity but only for customers vaccinated against Covid-19.

These establishments, however, must have a Protocol Compliance Certificate (PCC) issued by the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) in coordination with the barangay and it personnel must also be vaccinated.

The PCC must be displayed at the entrances of the public establishments. It must state the establishments’ venue capacity and allowed capacity, as well as the prohibitions.

“Any violation shall result in the immediate revocation of the PCC,” the EO stated.

Religious gatherings are also allowed up to 30 percent of the venue capacity, “provided that there is no objection from the Cebu City Government where the religious gathering may take place.”

Protocols and minimum public health standards must be observed, Rama said.

The serving and consumption of liquor and other alcoholic beverages in public places are still prohibited, while street traders or ambulant vendors are not allowed to operate except in certain areas duly authorized or designated by the Gasa sa Gugma Board and subject to existing city ordinances and policies.

“The Cebu City Government, through the Office of the Mayor Edgardo Labella, finds the proposed enhancements to be in accord with existing rules and guidelines issued by the Inter-Agency Task Force, Department of Trade and Industry and other government agencies,” Rama said in his EO.

He added that the order will take effect immediately until September 7, 2021, unless extended.

Rama has been serving as Cebu City’s acting mayor since Thursday, September 2, until September 7, while Mayor Edgardo Labella is on personal leave. (LMY)

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1905996/Cebu/Local-News/Cebu-City-allows-indoor-dining-salon-services-for-vaxxed-persons

• Hmm thinking 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

To answer your question, discrimination or new normal. The answer is BOTH sadly.

I feel fortunate that I have resided in a US midwest state with a reasonable response to COVID during the last 18 months. We have been able to conduct a much more normal life during that time than those in many other countries, states or big cities. Even considering the fact the state where I reside was considered an early hot spot for delta.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

discriminates against people like me

At least you have a city government who is proactive and willing to take some type of action. This is being bantered about up here in the Metro but no one is willing to pull the trigger.

On its face such a ruling is unconstitutional, discriminative and biased. The council of human rights (same folks that screamed about the war on drugs) are up in arms about it. But as the saying goes the constitution is not a suicide pact. The country is rapidly going bankrupt, if they wait until all those eligible are jabbed there might not be any businesses left to patronize. 

To put it on a personal level, 18 months ago when we all expected we just needed to get the vaccine and whamo, we are back to normal. Now with all these variants amongst us and the so called break through cases. Do we wait until this virus disappears naturally like the Spanish flu did before we try to return to normal because 10-20% of the population can not get jabbed due to medical reasons for the sake of "fairness?"

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

To my mind it's both.  Sad really. 

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted

Sad to see the Filipino local governments falling prey to the panic spread by some of the zero-tolerance countries like Australia and New Zealand.

Vaccines are the biggest large-scale commercial scam in the history of humanity. Sweden is banning entry from Israel, one of the world's most vaccinated countries, because of the crippling number of Covid cases among vaccinated citizens.

Back in Italy, I have several friends who are not virologists but doctors with some common sense. It's apparently med school 101 to know that, as vaccinations cover more of the general population, the risk of mutations is much higher. All such mutations tend to be more virulent (aggressive) but less lethal, which means individuals with no or mild symptoms will easily develop immunity and pave the way for the virus' disappearance. Just as it's always been in history.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

Vaccines are the biggest large-scale commercial scam in the history of humanity.

Curious have you ever had a vaccination - Polio, measles, mumps, chicken pox, tetanus,  diphtheria, flu, etc.?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Curious have you ever had a vaccination - Polio, measles, mumps, chicken pox, tetanus,  diphtheria, flu, etc.?

I had the compulsory ones when I was a young child (polio, diphtheria, tetanus maybe). These Covid ones are new technology, rushed out of the labs without proper testing for side effects and even for real efficacy (compared to natural immunity).

Not even experts are sure of whether it's a good idea...let alone the general population...

Just realised...you took my quoted sentence out of context. I obviously meant Covid vaccines are the biggest large-scale commercial scam in the history of humanity.

Edited by Gandang Smile

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gandang Smile said:

Just realised...you took my quoted sentence out of context. I obviously meant Covid vaccines are the biggest large-scale commercial scam in the history of humanity.

Scam that saved a lot of lives. Yes scam for sure. 

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Scam that saved a lot of lives. Yes scam for sure. 

Polio vaccine, yes. Covid vaccine, who has any proof?

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic