2 Part Questions

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Me (on messenger to wife):  Do you want me to throw out the old rice OR do you want me to keep it for your lunch?

Wife:  Yes please.

:facepalm_80_anim_gif:

Simple.  Use PEMDAS.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 9/3/2021 at 3:18 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Me (on messenger to wife): 

Should ask her on Tik Tok as that seems to be where there at these days. 

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, graham59 said:

It's the 'he' 'she' stuff that gives me brain ache. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Trying to nip it in the bud with my 6 year-old. :rolleyes:

It bothered or confused me at first but we live nearby to Seattle so..........:smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, graham59 said:

It's the 'he' 'she' stuff that gives me brain ache. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Trying to nip it in the bud with my 6 year-old. :rolleyes:

For those unfamiliar with this common mix up with gender pronouns.... some Pinay occasionally get it wrong if they are not highly fluent in, or infrequently use their English. I assume that this is because Tagalog uses the word "siya" for he/she and other third person pronouns that are NOT gender specific and rely on context and sentence structure to indicate gender. 

It can get confusing and frustrating if you don't realize this and ask for clarification when needed.

I get a lot of it and am used to it now after 18 years, since my wife has never lived anywhere else where she has had to perfect her  English, and I am the only one she has to speak English with on a daily basis

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

I get a lot of it and am used to it now after 18 years, since my wife has never lived anywhere else where she has had to perfect her  English, and I am the only one she has to speak English with on a daily basis

90% of the time we usually know if they are referring to a male or female. Sometimes I used to correct people in the he/she but rarely do now. Might be because it's hard to know if they are he or she these days :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think we should be happy that most young Filipinos/as speak decent to fluent English, with a distinct American accent.

Every time I had to deal with people from Singapore or Hong Kong, most of whom are allegedly better educated in the tongue of Shakespeare's, I would struggle more, and I mean a lot more! At least the tail end of the Pinoy question tag is a "yes" or "no". In those cases it's all those undecipherable "wah", "ha", "lah", usually delivered at the end of a machine-gun fire of words, in the thickest Mandarin or Malaysian Chinese accent! :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

One thing I noticed relatively late in my stay here. When speaking Tagalog (and probably Bisaya and other dialects, too) Filipinos basically mention the object first, then the subject. For us, this is equivalent to speaking in the passive voice. The active form where the subject goes first exists, but they only use it to emphasize the subject. This explains why they are so often heard using the "I'll be the one to..." fixed expression. It's their direct English translation of that active form.

They say language shapes the mind. I sometimes wonder if their notoriously modest and demure ways come from their habit of always referring to themselves as agents ("the rice was eaten by me"), rather than subjects ("I ate the rice"). 

Edited by Gandang Smile
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Gandang Smile said:

Every time I had to deal with people from Singapore or Hong Kong,

Thats one of the primary reasons the BPO's moved from India to the Philippines years ago,,,the Yankees couldnt understand people from India speaking with a accent from their mother country....

say what.jpg

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

the Yankees couldnt understand people from India speaking with a accent from their mother country....

And not just the 'Yankees'. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1