Weddings via Video Conference

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Gator said:

Barring any unforeseen circumstances and unless someone else beats me to it, I'll update you in early December as we are looking to do this at the end of November. Two weeks or so in Thailand first to get all the docs DHL'd to us .....aaaannnnnd of course to do what honeymooners do (stock tip = buy stock in Vitamin V, lol).  It is all pending right now, still have a few travel related details to work out and the answer from BOI about surrendering my passport. 

Gator wishing you guys the very best of luck and looking forward to hearing it all worked out for ya.

• Thanks 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Skip the first 6 minutes, if only interested in the Virtual Marriage part. :wink:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 9/3/2021 at 5:45 AM, Gator said:

In addition, if a Filipino leaves the country and travels to a visa free, or visa on arrival country (like Costa Rica or Thailand), to meet and marry their prospective spouse, then when they both return together can the foreigner get a Balikbayan visa. I have not found a clear answer to this. 

As said in another topic, Never heard of anyone questioned on how long they have been out of the country so that should not be a problem.

If you manage to get married on line then best to apply for a 13a while in your home country. Requirements are on line like letter from the wife, marriage certificate etc and at this very moment she does not have to be with you for you to enter. Nor does she have to be in person with you to apply for a 13a. Look up the Philippines consulate in your area.

If you marry say in Thailand best to get the new wife to request politely for a balikbayan at immigration rather than you to ask. Also as you both will do quarantine in Thailand best you arrive 7 days before her so you should be out while she does hers so you get 7 days on your own lol. Don't know why I said that :whistling:

Then I have to ask this out of curiosity.

Do you really want to get married just so you can come here to sniff the roses? I bet early next year things will start to open up more unless new variants a,b or c stick their ugly noses into our lives. Time goes quick so another 6 months will be gone before we know it.

Think about it, marriage is a big step but if you realkly think she is the one then of course you will do what you can.

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

As said in another topic, Never heard of anyone questioned on how long they have been out of the country so that should not be a problem.

If you manage to get married on line then best to apply for a 13a while in your home country. Requirements are on line like letter from the wife, marriage certificate etc and at this very moment she does not have to be with you for you to enter. Nor does she have to be in person with you to apply for a 13a. Look up the Philippines consulate in your area.

If you marry say in Thailand best to get the new wife to request politely for a balikbayan at immigration rather than you to ask. Also as you both will do quarantine in Thailand best you arrive 7 days before her so you should be out while she does hers so you get 7 days on your own lol. Don't know why I said that :whistling:

Then I have to ask this out of curiosity.

Do you really want to get married just so you can come here to sniff the roses? I bet early next year things will start to open up more unless new variants a,b or c stick their ugly noses into our lives. Time goes quick so another 6 months will be gone before we know it.

Think about it, marriage is a big step but if you realkly think she is the one then of course you will do what you can.

Thanks for the info and I'll look into getting or at least starting the 13(a) process from the USA. From all I've read in the past, It seems the easiest route to get one.

I've known the lady for about 5 -6 years (she's not the one you met me with in Cebu a few years ago, but she is also from there....something about those Cebuana's that keeps me coming back for more; more of what.....I don't know :571c66d400c8c_1(103):). She's in her 30's, has a good government job, owns some properties and is well respected in her province.

Lets just say over the past few years our friendship has grown significantly and we have become very very close; our marriage would be mutually beneficial in more ways than just allowing me come back this year.

I really don't think the Phils will open for tourists until mid 2022 at the earliest. Due to my business here in the USA that would mean waiting until October / November 2022 before I could return. So I'll take your bet Tom and raise you 2 San Mig's!

Edited by Gator
  • Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
On 9/4/2021 at 5:55 PM, Gator said:

Needless to say I'm somewhat confused as to the legality of online / proxy marriages. So my questions to you are: If the husband and wife must still be physically present and if the official who would solemnize the marriage can be in another location? Or ..... can all parties be in different locations (proxy marriage)...... Specifically, can my Filipino fiance be in the Philippines, the official be in the state of Utah (where video conferenced weddings are legal) and me be in my home state in the USA?

Once I get a reply from them I'll update accordingly. 

This morning I received a reply from the legal department at the Philippines Consulate in San Francisco. Although they did not address my specific questions, I think their reply covered them all. Online marriages are legal.

Re: Online / Proxy Marriage to a Filipino National

Inbox

PCGSF civil

10:00 AM (2 hours ago)

cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Dear Sir,

The online marriage is legal and binding and please find the checklist of requirement below for your reference.

Thank you.

CHECKLIST OF REQUIREMENTS  -  REPORT OF MARRIAGE (ROM)

NOTE: INCOMPLETE DOCUMENTS WILL BE RETURNED TO THE SENDER

Report of Marriage Application Form

All five (5) forms must be originally signed and notarized

Affidavit of Delayed Registration (Required if application is filed more than (1) year after the marriage.

One (1) originally signed and notarized and four (4) photocopies of the notarized document

US Marriage License/Certificate (extended/long form indicating number of marriages contracted by both parties)

One (1) original/certified true copy (CTC) or notarized copy and four  (4) photocopies of the notarized document

For Online or Proxy Marriage

One (1) original and four (4) photocopies of a notarized Affidavit of Explanation, stating that the marriage was held online and that the Filipino spouse was not in the U.S. at the time of marriage.

Proof of Filipino Citizenship of Bride/Groom (at the time of marriage)

Five (5) photocopies of document showing proof of Filipino citizenship

(e.g. US Naturalization Certificate and Dual Citizenship papers (Identification Certificate and Order of Approval), US Permanent Resident Card, Valid Visa or Work Permit)

Birth Certificates of Contracting Parties

Five (5) photocopies of the birth certificate, issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), of the Filipino spouse and five (5) photocopies of the birth certificate of the foreign spouse 

Valid IDs of Contracting Parties

Five (5) photocopies of  a  valid  photo ID  of both bride and groom (e.g. passport, driver’s license or any government issued ID)

If the Filipino Citizen is a Widow/Widower

Five (5) photocopies of PSA or foreign death certificate

If the Filipino Citizen is Annulled or Divorced

PSA Marriage Certificate with Annotation of Annulment or Divorce 

OR 

PSA Advisory on Marriage with Annotation of Annulment or Divorce – Five (5) photocopies 

OR 

Judicial Recognition of Annulment (JRA) or Judicial Recognition of Divorce (JRD) - five (5) photocopies and  Certificate of Finality – five (5) photocopies. 

(Note: JRD must be issued by a Philippine Court)

If Foreign Spouse was Previously Married or Widowed

Foreign Divorce Decree/s / Death Certificate- Five (5) photocopies

Non-refundable Processing fee

US$25.00 postal money order or cashier’s check payable to the Philippine Consulate General.  Cash or personal checks will not be accepted.

Return envelope

One (1) pre-paid self-addressed stamped legal size envelope: priority mail with tracking number.

Cover letter

One (1) cover letter indicating request to report the marriage with contact information (telephone number, email address and permanent home address)

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I am still trying to wrap my head around the idea of marrying someone you have not physically met and spent time with.   imagine how much worse it could have been for Ed and Rose if they had married PRIOR to even meeting each other? :whistling:

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I am still trying to wrap my head around the idea of marrying someone you have not physically met and spent time with.

I cannot see it as much different to couples who get drunk in Las Vegas and then get married the same night.  Divorce is easy in Nevada. 

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

I am still trying to wrap my head around the idea of marrying someone you have not physically met and spent time with.

Lust is a powerful emotion... and there are many men out their being led around by their dick. :wink: 

• Haha 2

Joey G
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Gator said:

Dear Sir,

The online marriage is legal and binding and please find the checklist of requirement below for your reference.

Thank you.

Wonder what you get in return for all that paperwork?... something that says you are officially married in the eyes of the Philippine Government?  Or is the original marriage certificate still OK by itself?  

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Joey G said:

Wonder what you get in return for all that paperwork?... something that says you are officially married in the eyes of the Philippine Government?  Or is the original marriage certificate still OK by itself?  

You get a PSA (Philippines Statistics Authority) stamped copy and it’s filed with them to make your marriage legal in the Phils.  Also need to fill out their application, which can be found on the consulate’s website. They request you file with the PSA within a year after your marriage. 

Also, I’ve read that a PSA stamped copy of the marriage certificate carries more weight with immigration when entering the country (especially if you’re traveling without your spouse). However, it’s not required.

As noted in the reply from the BOI, either a certified marriage certificate and/or an apostilled one was all they mentioned in their reply to me.

Edited by Gator
Typo
  • Like 1