Weddings via Video Conference

Frank from Boston
Posted
Posted

Did I understand correctly? You did an online ceremony that is recognized by the Philippines? If so, details are appreciated.

Frank from Boston
Posted
Posted
On 11/11/2021 at 4:14 PM, Clermont said:

You are correct it can take 3/6 Months to get your conformation of your marriage if in another country and another thing she will need to do an seminar to get out of the country. To many hurdles with the way your trying to work your marriage. My advise get her to line up a civil ceremony for the day you arrive, get married, lodge your papers and if you get them back before your 30 days visa runs out, well and good, if not extend. Once married the pair of you fly on a cheap return ticket you won't have to do seminars, your married and you'll get your Balikbayan on return. The only thing I'm not sure off, you might have to buy a exit ticket once your Balikbayan visa runs out to show BI of your intent, but you can work that out, someone on here will know, or read the requirement's of travel before you book your ticket, remember travel requirements change from day to day. :cheersty:

The Balikbayan Visa, or any of these really want a lot of information especially relating to bank statements going back three months, credit card info. They want to see $200 a day available for the length of time you're staying. Is this the experience everyone else is having? I have alot in my annuity etc but not as great in the bank as I use it for living and supporting her etc. Don't get me wrong, I made good money. Just not what I'm expecting they want to see. And I don't like giving some foreign country that much info! Geez

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I think someone has given you a bum steer, or wires are crossed somewhere, they don't require any of that stuff on a Balikbayan visa. What happens is you produce your marriage certificate when you return with your wife, they stamp your passport and give you a little bit of advise on how the country works and how to treat your wife, that's what they did for me and off you go for twelve months. DO NOT try to tip/bribe, grease their palm, as the airport is a bit different from past and it is an offence to do any of the above. What I've written in these two posts is about the only way a new marriage concerning an overseas person can be preformed in these times. Don't forget you'll have to get a special visa to get into the country first off, someone might be able to give you a clue on how to go about that, this is what the site is about. :cheersty: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Frank from Boston said:

I use it for living and supporting her etc.

Be careful, you are going to a lot of trouble to be with your intended and I think I read somewhere you've been  with her a few different times in your relationship. Sometimes it is best to keep the size of your wealth to yourself and at a later date you can confide in her. Remember, once that ring is on her finger, she has the same rites as a western woman if things go pear shape. An old saying used to be, "Love them and leave them," not anymore, and after saying all that, they do make a wonderful wife. Don't forget it is you that has to change, because you'll be living in her country and face has a lot to do with how well you are excepted in her family, don't make her lose face in front of the family. I think you'll be fine and after battling the bull dust you've got ahead of you, good luck in your marriage. :cheersty:

• Like 2

Frank from Boston
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Clermont said:

Be careful, you are going to a lot of trouble to be with your intended and I think I read somewhere you've been  with her a few different times in your relationship. Sometimes it is best to keep the size of your wealth to yourself and at a later date you can confide in her. Remember, once that ring is on her finger, she has the same rites as a western woman if things go pear shape. An old saying used to be, "Love them and leave them," not anymore, and after saying all that, they do make a wonderful wife. Don't forget it is you that has to change, because you'll be living in her country and face has a lot to do with how well you are excepted in her family, don't make her lose face in front of the family. I think you'll be fine and after battling the bull dust you've got ahead of you, good luck in your marriage. :cheersty:

Thank you. I know the family very well. Very honorable. She's never asked me for money, which was what I payed attention to early on. This year will be 5 years of being together. Originally met gave to face in Thailand as she was an early years teacher there.

• Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted
On 11/12/2021 at 6:36 PM, Frank from Boston said:

Did I understand correctly? You did an online ceremony that is recognized by the Philippines? If so, details are appreciated.

Yes, you understood correctly. Online ceremonies via video conference are recognized as being legal by the Philippines. Back read from the beginning of this thread and you’ll find links and info for the Utah clerks office. In a nutshell, they don’t have any residency requirements and both spouses can be anywhere in the world when the ceremony is performed. The cost is low and the process is relatively easy.

The BOI prefers (possibly requires) an apostilled marriage certificate if you enter the Phils without your spouse. And as I mentioned in a recent post, in addition to the other “normal” requirements, you need to file a ROM to get a tourist visa and include the stamped copy sent back to you from the consulate in San Francisco. You don’t have to wait for the PSA stamped copy, which will take 6 months to a year to get. The consulates and embassy in the USA also now require that you send in the visa application documents electronically first for “pre-approval”. But first double check with whatever one has jurisdiction over the area you live in as the rules seem “fluid”. Lol

• Like 3

Frank from Boston
Posted
Posted
On 11/14/2021 at 6:43 AM, Gator said:

Yes, you understood correctly. Online ceremonies via video conference are recognized as being legal by the Philippines. Back read from the beginning of this thread and you’ll find links and info for the Utah clerks office. In a nutshell, they don’t have any residency requirements and both spouses can be anywhere in the world when the ceremony is performed. The cost is low and the process is relatively easy.

The BOI prefers (possibly requires) an apostilled marriage certificate if you enter the Phils without your spouse. And as I mentioned in a recent post, in addition to the other “normal” requirements, you need to file a ROM to get a tourist visa and include the stamped copy sent back to you from the consulate in San Francisco. You don’t have to wait for the PSA stamped copy, which will take 6 months to a year to get. The consulates and embassy in the USA also now require that you send in the visa application documents electronically first for “pre-approval”. But first double check with whatever one has jurisdiction over the area you live in as the rules seem “fluid”. Lol

One big plus appears to be less waiting period (6 to 12 months) if I understood correctly.  We talked about it. After not being together for almost two years now, we feel the need almost, to be together for this even though for now it will be a simple ceremony until things improve globally. Great option if things get locked down again. We shall see!

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 11/13/2021 at 7:36 AM, Frank from Boston said:

As I mentioned one other post. If you look through the BI Facebook page you will find info on video conference marriages being accepted. This is posted by the BI and not some random.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Gator
Posted
Posted

Quick update. It only took 9 weeks (lol), but a few days ago I finally got the stamped and signed copy of the ROM back from the consulate in San Francisco. A note attached to it says that after 6 months I can obtain an authenticated copy of the ROM from the PSA via their website. 

44D83665-395E-41D2-B544-F4B41BA9EA43.jpeg

The Philippine’s embassy in Washington DC no longer requires submission of documents electronically for pre approval of visa applications. Upon receipt of the stamped ROM I immediately booked my flight for the end of January and FedEx’d the application along with the other required documents to the embassy. In previous email exchanges with the visa section, I was told the expedited visa process should take 10 business days. Hopefully I’ll have my passport back with the appropriate 9(a) visa back by the second week of January. I’ll update accordingly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gator said:

Quick update. It only took 9 weeks (lol), but a few days ago I finally got the stamped and signed copy of the ROM

Mine took just over a week from Shopee. Glad you got yours :santahat:

Read-only memory (ROM), also known as firmware

rom.jpg

• Haha 2