Weddings via Video Conference

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gator said:

Quick update. It only took 9 weeks (lol), but a few days ago I finally got the stamped and signed copy of the ROM back from the consulate in San Francisco. A note attached to it says that after 6 months I can obtain an authenticated copy of the ROM from the PSA via their website. 

44D83665-395E-41D2-B544-F4B41BA9EA43.jpeg

The Philippine’s embassy in Washington DC no longer requires submission of documents electronically for pre approval of visa applications. Upon receipt of the stamped ROM I immediately booked my flight for the end of January and FedEx’d the application along with the other required documents to the embassy. In previous email exchanges with the visa section, I was told the expedited visa process should take 10 business days. Hopefully I’ll have my passport back with the appropriate 9(a) visa back by the second week of January. I’ll update accordingly. 

Congratulations! Hope things go as planned and you are able to reunite soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
Gator
Posted
Posted

Yesterday I finally received my passport back from the Philippine Embassy in Washington DC with an approved 9(a) visa in it. Although I requested and included funds for a multiple entry visa, they only approved a single entry one. They did refund me the difference in their fees (30 USD vs 90 USD). The visa takes up a full page in my passport and does include the proper wording about the entry exemption document not being required.

To summarize, the entire process from our date of marriage in mid September until I obtained the visa was just shy of 4 months. If I wasn't thrown a curveball by the Embassy about their requirement for a stamped ROM then the time would have been cut by about 3 weeks or more. I could have gotten the documents required for it sooner and sent them the ROM within a day of our wedding. Time was then also lost due to the seasonal holiday closures.  

One would think that it would be logical that the Embassy would post on their website the requirement that a stamped ROM is required. But then again when did logic ever apply to any government agency.

My flight is scheduled for the end of next week. Once I arrive, I'll start a separate thread and post about the bs at the airports, etc. 

• Like 3