Electrical Outages Here

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted

Outages, we did not even have in-ages when I grew up. :13_4_10[1]: and some of my family still live without power. :thumbsup:

johnb
Posted
Posted

I was going to be smug, and tell you all that the power supply in Pardo [ south of Cebu city] has been really stable for a long time, alas the power went off at 4 am this morning but did return by 5 am. I do have a small two stroke mobile generator that i use if the power is of for a couple of hours or more,it will run a few fans etc I have a 12 v back up system for selected lights, but recently the float bowl on the Carb developed hair line cracks and now weeps petrol......grhhhOn the positive side whilst in Uganda in 2005, we lost power one morning only to see it return five weeks later, so Cebu is still pretty good for me.John

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Exactly, Jim. I tell ya, I appreciate "today's" Cebu, a lot more. :thumbsup: What helped cure that here was, the underground cable from Leyte. They ran it from Leyte to Cebu, to assist with power requirements here. Unfortunately, they didn't plan (well enough) for increased electrical requirements for Leyte. Perhaps it has just happened a bit faster than they expected? Who knows. Anyway, I was on a fast craft heading over to Ormoc, not too long ago. On the boat, I met a gentleman who does extensive work in the Philippines on the Geothermal plants here. He is an American, based out of California, who is in country quite regularly. Anyway, during our talk, I learned that most of the Geothermal plants here, are not producing nearly as much as they could be, had they the proper maintenance and care. Unfortunately, little is done to maintain the equipment at these plants. He told me some interesting stories about the geothermal plants in this country.Either way, I feel, with the growing electrical requirements of Cebu, if they don't do something soon, some investors who have large businesses here will end up pulling out of the country, or at least out of this part of the country. Some big names need reliability in electricity, which is why they built plants here in the first place. Of course, they may make sure those power requirements are met, while letting everything else suffer.I suppose time will tell.
A lot of places in the Philippines seem to feel maintenance is an unnecessary expense. They build it wring every penny they can out of it and then scrap it. That's what happened to the Railroads. That's also why you see relatively new buildings falling apart. Another possibility is the money alocated for maintenance is going into someones pocket. Then when something breaks he pays someone a few pesos to jurry rig it.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Exactly, Jim. I tell ya, I appreciate "today's" Cebu, a lot more. :thumbsup: What helped cure that here was, the underground cable from Leyte. They ran it from Leyte to Cebu, to assist with power requirements here. Unfortunately, they didn't plan (well enough) for increased electrical requirements for Leyte. Perhaps it has just happened a bit faster than they expected? Who knows. Anyway, I was on a fast craft heading over to Ormoc, not too long ago. On the boat, I met a gentleman who does extensive work in the Philippines on the Geothermal plants here. He is an American, based out of California, who is in country quite regularly. Anyway, during our talk, I learned that most of the Geothermal plants here, are not producing nearly as much as they could be, had they the proper maintenance and care. Unfortunately, little is done to maintain the equipment at these plants. He told me some interesting stories about the geothermal plants in this country.Either way, I feel, with the growing electrical requirements of Cebu, if they don't do something soon, some investors who have large businesses here will end up pulling out of the country, or at least out of this part of the country. Some big names need reliability in electricity, which is why they built plants here in the first place. Of course, they may make sure those power requirements are met, while letting everything else suffer.I suppose time will tell.
A lot of places in the Philippines seem to feel maintenance is an unnecessary expense. They build it wring every penny they can out of it and then scrap it. That's what happened to the Railroads. That's also why you see relatively new buildings falling apart. Another possibility is the money alocated for maintenance is going into someones pocket. Then when something breaks he pays someone a few pesos to jurry rig it.
Makes me wonder how safe some of those buildings are, several months back there was a video on youtube which showed a hi rise building collapse in Manila, it started to lean when someone noticed it and everyone got out in time.Dont know when this happened and the video was removed because someone claimed a copyright to it. :thumbsup:

• 3 years later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

has anyone any new experiences to share or update ?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Maybe we could close this one off with an update on how things are now? I"d write it but I kind of have a problem... I"m still in Canada!!! :541:

jode
Posted
Posted

Although a veteran of many blackouts here, last week had a new experience in Cordova. Tv shut off allong with most lights. AC made a funny clicking noise. However it wasn't a complete blackout as a couple light bulbs stayed on although dimmed. The landlady rushed downstairs all excited and said we should shut everything off as it was "low voltage" and some appliances and devices could be wrecked by that condition. Took a couple hours before the power gradually returned to normal. Anyone else experience that condition and know more about it than i do?

• Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)

That is what in the normal world is known as a brown out. The supply goes way below the supposed 220V and will burn out many appliances. Your landlady was correct, turn off everything, you can leave on one standard light bulb in order to know when the supply is back to normal.

Edited by Curley
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

A lot of places in the Philippines seem to feel maintenance is an unnecessary expense.

They build it wring every penny they can out of it and then scrap it. That's what happened to the Railroads. That's also why you see relatively new buildings falling apart.

Another possibility is the money alocated for maintenance is going into someones pocket. Then when something breaks he pays someone a few pesos to jurry rig it.

I agree fully with your statement, , a just dont care attitude about "Maintenance"

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

I keep hearing about power outages, but lucky we have not had one for at least a year, and it was because they were replacing some poles, the power supply in Davao light must be very good i never hear of power outage and i live in the provience, wires strung thru trees and such, i understand we have the best rate in the Philippines, around 5.9 average rate per month, my bill runs about P1800 i have 2 window air cond, freezer, ref, water dispencer, out side lights, and all the electronics tv, internet altho we only use air at night in the bed rooms, i could get by with a fan but my wife is use to the air now. They were going to increase the rate but nothing so far, they are building a new coal fired plant in Davao City, that will help with demand

• Like 1