Radar speed gun to be trailed in Cebu

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Joey G said:

But IF the officer were to check registration of the vehicle during the stop, AND figured out the person never changed it after purchasing it... yep, whole new issue for some to deal with.

That is not illegal as long as you have a copy of the bill of sale and the sellers id, signed.

They make it super hard for a buyer to change the name if the vehicle was not already registered locally.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted
On 9/9/2021 at 9:26 PM, OnMyWay said:

That is not illegal as long as you have a copy of the bill of sale and the sellers id, signed.

They make it super hard for a buyer to change the name if the vehicle was not already registered locally.

So how many times can a vehicle be sold, change ownerss, and not change the registration, before it's an issue?  

I.e, Is it legal for the most recent vehicle owner to just keep any previous "bill of sales and sellers ID's" from multiple previous owners who never registered it, and carrying them around (rather registering the vehicle)?  :89:  

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Joey G said:

before it's an issue?  

Until the vehicle or driver is involved in such a serious issue that the infraction can not be fixed by greasing a palm.

Here is my example. My Brother in Law, while stationed in Guam with the DFA, bought and imported a US made Ford sedan when his tour was over. When he was set to be deployed again and tried to sell it, the car was subject to VAT import tax upon resale, which made it prohibitively expensive.  HIS SOLUTION? Sold it to a relative, and gave the new owner the ole "copy of ID and a letter or authorization" so the new owner can pay the insurance and registration. So it is anticipated it will remain in his name until doomsday. I asked him, what if your cousin doesn't register it etc. and it is involved in an accident....reply "I will just say it was stolen or used with out my permission"

Also in 9 years I have been pulled over 3 times and was never asked for the registration anyway.:whatever:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Joey G said:

So how many times can a vehicle be sold, change ownerss, and not change the registration, before it's an issue?  

I.e, Is it legal for the most recent vehicle owner to just keep any previous "bill of sales and sellers ID's" from multiple previous owners who never registered it, and carrying them around (rather registering the vehicle)?  :89:  

Good question.  They are going to work on it after they finish the license plates.

• Haha 4

graham59
Posted
Posted

Well at least the current generation won't be able to read and write, so 'paperwork' won't be of any concern to them. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I read a few days ago Mandaue was set to buy radar guns but the money wasn't allocated in this years budget so they will wait until next year the story says.

Found story

Speed limit measure likely to be implemented next year yet – Mandaue City dad

MANDAUE CITY, Philippines — An ordinance setting different speed limits for all vehicles passing along Mandaue City’s roads will likely be implemented next year yet.

This developed after Mandaue City Councilor Jimmy Lumpas, who sponsored the proposed ordinance, since the P2 million budget for the procurement of speed guns was not included in this year’s budget.

The proposed ordinance, however, was passed on third and final reading at the City Council on Wednesday, September 15.

This will also only need the signature of Mandaue City Mayor Jonas Cortes for it to become an ordinance.

Under the ordinance, motorcycles, tricycles, cars, and all kinds of motor vehicles may run up to 80 kilometers per hour (kph) on national primary roads, 70 kph when on national secondary roads, and 60 kph for national tertiary roads while buses and trucks can run only up to 50 kph.

For provincial roads the speed limit is 40 kph for motor vehicles and 30 kph for buses and trucks while for barangay roads, the limit is 20 kph. 

Lumapas said he proposed the ordinance because he wanted to reduce the number of road crashes in the city.

He said that speed had been a big factor in car crashes in the city.

“Nakita man nato nga nag-anam ka daghan ang mga sakyanan karun, so nag expect gyud ta nga kung dili nato mabuhatan og ordinansa, musamot ka daghan ang aksidente nga mahitabo. Mao nay nakaencourage nato,” said Lumapas.

(We saw that vehicles have slowly increased, so we expect that if we will not make an ordinance, then the accidents will grow worse. That is what encouraged us to do this.) 

In 2020, Mandaue recorded around 2,400 road accidents with 20 fatalities and 500 injured individuals.

Violators of the speed limit ordinance will be fined P1,000 and shall undergo one hour seminar on road safety. Though, the vehicle will not be impounded considering that no accident has occurred.

Read more: https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/400592/speed-limit-measure-likely-to-be-implemented-next-year-yet-mandaue-city-dad#ixzz76iWeR9tq

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Under the ordinance, motorcycles, tricycles, cars, and all kinds of motor vehicles may run up to 80 kilometers per hour (kph) on national primary roads, 70 kph when on national secondary roads, and 60 kph for national tertiary roads while buses and trucks can run only up to 50 kph.

For provincial roads the speed limit is 40 kph for motor vehicles and 30 kph for buses and trucks while for barangay roads, the limit is 20 kph. 

Is there really anywhere around Cebu City where a radar gun is required?  I refuse to drive there because of the traffic jams which reduces speed to a crawl where two vehicles plus 3 motorcycles creep along side by side in two lanes. :89:

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

I think the (usual) total lack of 'visual observation', mirror use, etc, plus weaving in and out of traffic on both roads and sidewalks, are a more likely cause of accidents than speed. :rolleyes:

• Like 2