How many 6 month extension allowed?

Colsie
Posted
Posted

Hi folks

It's almost visa extension time again and I have already had two 6 month extensions. A while ago I seem to remember that this would mean I could only get 2 month extentions from now on. Is this true or did I dream this up?

Any knowledgeable expats out there that can let me me know the current situation is with length of visa extension would be marvellous. 

Cheers 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Colsie said:

Any knowledgeable expats out there that can let me me know the current situation is

I cannot tell you the current situation where you are because the 6 month extension has always been something that is decided by the "in charge" at your local BI office.  I know this because I asked the "in charge" at the Dumaguete office a couple of years ago.  At that time we could get the 6-month in Cebu but not Duma.  Then shortly after we could get unlimited 6-month in Duma but only 2 in Cebu.  

So if you do not get the answer you want at your local BI then try another office.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Colsie said:

A while ago I seem to remember that this would mean I could only get 2 month extentions from now on. Is this true or did I dream this up?

It could be but can not be sure of every office. Someone complaining today on FB, BI page that Manila will now only give 2 months where others are doing 6.

Like Dave says, probably depend on which office but also I think we touched on this topic somewhere before or in posts  so others probably have experience in this.

I only do 2 months as I dont know if I will be alive for the whole six so not worth it for me :smile:

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I cannot tell you the current situation where you are because the 6 month extension has always been something that is decided by the "in charge" at your local BI office.  I know this because I asked the "in charge" at the Dumaguete office a couple of years ago.  At that time we could get the 6-month in Cebu but not Duma.  Then shortly after we could get unlimited 6-month in Duma but only 2 in Cebu.  

So if you do not get the answer you want at your local BI then try another office.

Thanks Dave, so it's just typical of the Philippines. 

Will try for 6 months and update if I manage to get it and at what BI office I went to. 

• Like 2

Colsie
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

It could be but can not be sure of every office. Someone complaining today on FB, BI page that Manila will now only give 2 months where others are doing 6.

Like Dave says, probably depend on which office but also I think we touched on this topic somewhere before or in posts  so others probably have experience in this.

I only do 2 months as I dont know if I will be alive for the whole six so not worth it for me :smile:

For me, the less time I travel to the BI office the less chance of catching Covid, so going 1 time instead of 3 might keep me alive, well for 6 months 🤔

Edited by Colsie
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Colsie said:

For me, the less time I travel to the BI office the less chance of catching Covid, so going 1 time instead of 3 might keep me alive, well for 6 months 🤔

Maybe but I have not been to a BI office since getting my exit clearance about 2 years ago.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Maybe but I have not been to a BI office since getting my exit clearance about 2 years ago.

Use an agent?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

Use an agent?

Yep

I hate immigration. Too many crazy foreigner's there arguing. In the early days I used to do it myself but travel to Mactan where there was usually no wait.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

I think it probably depends upon the BI Office.

I use Dagupan Field Office, and to be fair, it's been a breeze. Lovely friendly staff, helpful, quick and efficient.  :smile:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Colsie
Posted
Posted

As usual the Tacloban office was almost empty and processing the visa extention took 10 minutes, tops. 

I just don't like travelling into the city, so travelling into the city to get an agent to do it would be pointless and more expensive. 

I ticked the 3 business day box on the application form instead of the express lane option as I have to come back to the city next week for a hospital appointment and the express lane fee is 2,500 pesos extra for the 6 month extension. 

All in all, my 6 month extention cost 4,440 pesos this time. 

I was also charge an additional annual report fee of 300. 

• Like 4