Duterte announces retirement. Not running for Vice president

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

So Sara will be the new puppet? 

Today I announce my retirement from politics: Philippines' Duterte
Duterte's move potentially paves the way for his daughter to contest for presidency

Manila: Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said on Saturday he will not run for vice-president in 2022 and will retire from politics, potentially paving the way for his daughter to contest the country's highest office.

"The overwhelming... sentiment of the Filipinos is that I am not qualified and it would be a violation of the constitution to circumvent the law, the spirit of the constitution" to run for the vice presidency, Duterte said. "Today I announce my retirement from politics," accompanying loyalist Senator Christopher “Bong” Go from their ruling PDP-Laban party as he registered to run for vice president.

Duterte had been expected to run for vice-president. He is not eligible to run again for the top job as the constitution sets a single-six-year term limit for the president.

Political observers had long suspected Duterte could spring a surprise, such as a presidential run by his daughter, Sara Duterte-Carpio, next year.

Duterte-Carpio, who replaced her father as mayor of Davao, said last month she was not running for higher office next year because she and her father had agreed only one of them would run for national office in 2022.

The older Duterte’s decision not to join the race next year would clear her way.

“This allows Sara Duterte to run,” said Antonio La Vina, professor of law and politics at the Ateneo de Manila University. But La Vina said he could not rule out the possibility the firebrand leader could have a change of heart and be Go’s substitute.

Candidates have until Friday to register, but withdrawals and substitutions are allowed until Nov. 15, leaving scope for last-minute changes of heart, like the 11th-hour entry of Duterte for the 2016 election, which he won by a huge margin

https://gulfnews.com/world/asia/philippines/today-i-announce-my-retirement-from-politics-philippines-duterte-1.1633161548661

• Hmm thinking 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

leaving scope for last-minute changes of heart,

I think we can all draw Lies and deceit from this IMHO :tiphat:

• Like 2
  • Love it 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I think we can all draw Lies and deceit from this IMHO :tiphat:

Some of it in another story

Spoiler

But Go said: "Given that President Rodrigo Duterte decided to withdraw his acceptance of nomination, I am here to take on the challenge as PDP-Laban’s vice presidential candidate."

The senator said he will continue and build on Duterte's war on drugs, corruption, and criminality. "I intend to pursue and expand these efforts further towards overcoming this pandemic by achieving economic recovery, providing job opportunities, and addressing hunger and poverty."

Go is Duterte's longtime aide, the most trusted man of then-Davao City mayor and now Philippine president.

https://www.rappler.com/nation/elections/bong-go-running-vice-president-2022

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

President Rodrigo Duterte is done with politics, he announced on Saturday, October 2, after accompanying his longtime aide, Senator Bong Go, who filed his candidacy for vice president.

It was Duterte who was expected to run for vice president given his previous announcements and a big push from his divided party, PDP-Laban. But the President said he took note of the "overwhelming sentiment" of Filipinos that running for vice president would "circumvent" the law.

"And today, I announce my retirement from politics," the 76-year-old President said.

Duterte was apparently referring to a recent survey by the Social Weather Stations that showed six in 10 Filipinos believe that Duterte's contemplated vice presidential run is unconstitutional.

Taking the podium after Go's brief speech at the Sofitel Hotel where the filing of certificates of candidacy for the May 2022 elections is being held, Duterte mentioned the "different surveys, forums, caucuses, and meetings" about his planned vice presidential bid.

"The overwhelming sentiment of the Filipino is that I am not qualified and it would be a violation of the Constitution to circumvent the law, the spirit of the Constitution," said Duterte.

"In obedience to the will of the people, who after all placed me in the presidency many years ago, I now say, sa mga kababayan ko, sundin ko ang gusto ninyo. (To my countrymen, I will follow what you want). And today, I announce my retirement from politics," the President added.

https://www.rappler.com/nation/elections/duterte-announces-retirement-from-politics-october-2-2021

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Thats a lot of p p

Possibly ... pissed.  :shooter: :89:

• Haha 4

RBM
Posted
Posted

Until again he changes mind.....My guess within 2 weeks.

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted

The phrase " pull the other one its got bells on it " comes to mind...so does the rhyhming slang of "someones telling porkie pies "

• Like 2