Australian Hospitals Full!

1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I looked at the first page.  You think a topic about Amazing Filipinos is an example of trolling?  :89:

Not going to do your homework for you. The fun starts on about page 5 IIRC. You have the same search function to use as do the rest of us.

• Forum Support
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Just backtracking a bit, this forum first was put in place to give people another Philippines forum other than one that is like you describe as anything goes and full of antagonizing posts and arguments.

I have been a member of multiple Philippine expat type forums over the years.  This is the only one I that I have ever really enjoyed and now the only one I read. So many of the others seemed to exist for the sole purpose of bashing the Philippines and/or seeing who could pee the highest on the post and would include offers to meet "kick your @#$"

I think the club idea may be worth the effort if other forum members want to give it a try.  The forum used to have "vote poll" feature.  Is that still available to see how many would be interested?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I have been a member of multiple Philippine expat type forums over the years.  This is the only one I that I have ever really enjoyed and now the only one I read. So many of the others seemed to exist for the sole purpose of bashing the Philippines and/or seeing who could pee the highest on the post and would include offers to meet "kick your @#$

This is so so true... this forum is like a quiet bar with a group of the lads sitting around having a beer.

Lots of the others are like bars where you're walking along and someone hits you over the head with a pool que :hystery:

Happy to give the 'club' forum a try.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Guy F. said:

The search function on this board is not up to the task, but here's an example. Hope you have an hour or 2 to read thru it.

https://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/32457-amazing-filipinos/

This is my last comment on the discussion, just had a read of page 5 only, to me it is more of a squabble between 2 members. Trivial at best.

Time to let go.

• Like 4

I'm all for anything goes as long as there's no personal abuse.  By all means disagree with each other but provide facts. Sometimes I learn also from people that post contradictory infomation to what I believe to be true.  It's all down to where we source our information.  I know personally if I want to find information to discredit a political party there's one or two media outlets to get my information, if I need support I'll go to yet another.  Every now and again someone links to the full information and it paints a different picture. 

We'll soon find out the type that if you say you've seen a pink elephant they've got the shoes to fit it. :whistling:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

The reason for the suggestion was to try to invigorate the forum and not lose members. 

Well I sat back for a couple of day and read comments before I commented, well like one of the moderators said " you's don't see what we have to edit" sorry but one slipped through for a minute before it was deleted and I did see it.  I'm pleased they deleted it, it was inflammatory to say the least and nothing less than argumentive and factually wrong. Now there are steps to make Facebook accountable for their text, don't you think the time has come to thank these moderators for their time and effort over the years for keeping this site as is. If you want to argue, talk politics, rubbish the PI's, find one you feel comfortable with, I for one feel comfortable reading the text that's offered here and if I'm not interested, simple don't read it.:whatever:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Clermont said:

I for one feel comfortable reading the text that's offered here and if I'm not interested, simple don't read it.

That is the key.  Many members here feel compelled to react and reply to posters who they have developed at distaste for.  If they just ignored them, the poster would have nobody to discuss / argue with.  Seem like many people always want to have the last word.

Please don't reply.  I want the last word! :hystery:

• Haha 3

• Forum Manager
12 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Happy to give the 'club' forum a try.

To do that a member has to create his/her own club. Us admins or moderators do not create clubs or run them so if a member wants his own club let me know and I can set up the system.

13 hours ago, Mike J said:

The forum used to have "vote poll" feature.  Is that still available to see how many would be interested?

Still does, you have to create a new topic and select Poll next to Content.

poll.PNG

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Not going to do your homework for you. The fun starts on about page 5 IIRC. You have the same search function to use as do the rest of us.

I ended up reading up to page 7.  Apparently a couple of members had it in for GS based on past posts, maybe Covid posts, maybe negative topics, I don't know.  So he starts a positive topic about Amazing Filipinos, and these members were the ones who started egging him.  Totally uncalled for in the context of that topic.  They should have received warnings, not just him.

In that topic, one other member asked about his background.  Like you said, we all have the search function.  Here is GS's second post on this expat forum:

Hi All,

A real pleasure to discover such a rich, informative and well-designed forum, entirely dedicated to living in the Philippines as a foreigner!

My name is Vanni, I am in Italian 46-yo man. I lived in the UK for about 14 years in total, before deciding that I had enough of the rat race (working in IT in the City) and wanted to do something different. I decided to move to Davao City to start an outsourcing IT business. I had big plans: nice big office, PEZA registration, a few clients lined up, and a lot of good intentions.

My time in Davao was bitter-sweet. I really enjoyed the relative lack of pollution, the lush green just outside the town centre, the friendly people and the cute girls. I was a bit disappointed about the lack of quality IT talent in town. Later on I realised that the best kids always end up moving abroad or to the larger cities, Manila and Cebu. A bit of a brain drain, basically. I even bought a condo there, in the hope of making it my own home and establish myself in Davao in the long run.

As usual, reality eventually hits us while we're busy dreaming of something else. A couple of years later, I shut the company down because, quite simply, client revenue wasn't enough to sustain the operating costs and I was basically struggling just to break even. The fact that, as a naive foreigner, I acted overly generously towards my staff and always put them before my own livelihood, did not help. I was taught a few hard lessons about the very human tendency to remember just the bad deeds and quickly forget acts of kindness.

In 2018 I decided to reboot my IT business in a leaner form. By then I had met my fiancee, now wife, a beautiful young woman called C. which prompted me to move to Manila. I lived in Makati for a bit, then decided to move to Ortigas Center as it was cheaper yet incredibly well served in terms of malls, infrastructures and nightlife. It was also handy for C's works at the Asian Development Bank. We bought two condos here, one for us one for rental investment, and we have been living here since June 2019.

What else worth saying? Ah, C and I got married at Pasig City hall, last September 8. A surreal, minimalistic rite involving just us, 2 witnesses and the judge, all wearing masks and shields. The "you may now kiss the bride" formula was replaced with just a hand holding. My late granny used to tell me she got married during an Allied bombing and they had to run to the shelter minutes after saying "yes". We too have a story to tell our grandchildrem I guess :smile:

Due to Covid-related uncertainty, for the past 6 months I have been trying to work as hard as I can to create some cash flows, as I am skeptical that 2021 will be much better. Despite this, I hope I will be able to contribute to this forum and share some of my experiences with you guys.

My areas of (relative) expertise here are: IT and software development, working for local and foreign clients while living in the Philippines, offshore companies, creating businesses under PEZA, life in Davao City and (a bit of) Manila. And of course whatever you may need to know about Italy and Italian culture, food, etc.

C and I have just filed to register our marriage in Italy and the next thing will be to file for her Schengen spouse Visa as well as my Philippine resident Visa. We are still gathering intel about this and I hope you won't mind if I were to barge in with some questions about these two proceses.

All, thanks for your time, stay safe and enjoy the beautiful Philippines, even with the many limitations of a lockdown!

• Like 2

• Forum Manager
22 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I ended up reading up to page 7.  Apparently a couple of members had it in for GS based on past posts, maybe Covid posts, maybe negative topics, I don't know.  So he starts a positive topic about Amazing Filipinos, and these members were the ones who started egging him.  Totally uncalled for in the context of that topic.  They should have received warnings, not just him.

Thanks for the advice. That topic was back in January so dead and over. The thing is if we read every post and warn members then we get accused of being like the FB censors or something.

Sometimes I personally just give up and say to myself let them sort themselves out as we moderators can never win in everyone's view.

One line I used to say quite often which is, cant please everyone so on that note this topic will be closed soon.

GS is not banned, if he chose to come back and follow the rules he is welcome but I personally wont be going to woo him with flowers and chocolates as I know there will always be more drama going on another day, with or without him.

Now, what was this topic about? :xmas_girl: And where's Tommy T?