BI asks Filipinos to be patient in waiting for foreign partners

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Sometimes I comment on all the complaint post of the BI Facebook page and no matter how many times I say it's not the BI decisions as to when the borders open the complaints directed at the BI always continue. So anyway the commissioner made a statement.

The Bureau of Immigration (BI) is asking restless Filipinos with foreign partners to be more calm and patient in waiting for their loved ones, promising that they would eventually be reunited.

BI Commissioner Jaime Morente made the appeal as growing number of binational couples are joining the Internet hashtag “LoveIsNotTourism.”

The movement is aimed at the government to ease travel restriction to reunite couples with different nationalities who were separated by the global pandemic.

Morente said the final decision to relax the travel ban is with the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Infectious Diseases (IATF).

“Once the IATF declares it is safe to travel, we will welcome you,” Morente told the restless and separated couples.

Morente expressed optimism that travel ban would soon ease as the government continues it’s massive vaccination drive.

Presently, only Filipinos and foreign nationals with valid and existing visas are allowed entry. Tourists are still banned.

https://mb.com.ph/2021/10/07/bi-asks-filipinos-to-be-patient-in-waiting-for-foreign-partners/

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I stopped reading the comments on the BI FB page months ago, it's either the above of someone trying to sell something. 

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

Some of these lovesick dopes (from reading their comments) need to understand that there is a pandemic at the moment.  Those with kids here I can understand, naturally....though I think they can come anyway, can't they, with appropriate visa ? Of course they will have needed to have actually bothered to have gone through all the correct processes here , as regards having their name on the child's birth cert, etc.  Those just missing the sex... tough.  It's up to the government...and insulting them won't help.  

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, graham59 said:

Some of these lovesick dopes (from reading their comments) need to understand that there is a pandemic at the moment.  Those with kids here I can understand, naturally....though I think they can come anyway, can't they, with appropriate visa ? Of course they will have needed to have actually bothered to have gone through all the correct processes here , as regards having their name on the child's birth cert, etc.  Those just missing the sex... tough.  It's up to the government...and insulting them won't help.  

There is one group that has very legitimate complaints.  If you were in their shoes, you might understand.  What I know involves Americans but I speculate that other countries are similar.

K1 visas.  This is the fiancé visa for the U.S. that allows the fiancé to travel to the U.S. and then get married in the U.S.  U.S. Embassy Manila stopped processing these in early 2020.  So these couples have been separated for a long time.  They are not married yet so the American partner can't travel to the Philippines.  When they finally do start processing K1, there will a huge backlog and even more waiting time.

Many have given up on the K1 and are trying to get married through unconventional means.  After marriage, they qualify for a CR visa which are still being processed.  Getting married in a third country was popular for a while.  A guy I know of flew his Filipina fiancé to Costa Rica and they got married there.  So he would be allowed to come to Philippines now.  Currently, getting married online in Utah County, Utah is working.  Philippines BI recognizes this.

These are not just guys with Filipina girlfriends.  Many have known each other for a long time before Covid and were in the planning stage for marriage.  And this whole mess costs them a lot of money.

• Like 5

graham59
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

If you were in their shoes, you might understand. 

I do understand... of course (and I have brought a bride back to my country in the past). That is why I said 'SOME' of these lovesick dopes'. :thumbsup:

• Like 1