Emirates Ad

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I think it became an issue of discussion because in the video she is wearing zero safety equipment.  

I saw the pole behind her and I assume she is wearing a tower belt fastened behind her back.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I saw the pole behind her and I assume she is wearing a tower belt fastened behind her back.

The video released as the consumer ad does not show any safety gear at all.   That is what caused folks to complain about putting profit over safety, video being photo-shopped, etc.   My immediate reaction to the consumer video was "no way" anyone or any company would do this for real.   I agree with @Dave Hounddriver, safer and cheaper to do the same video using green screen and a real Emirates stewardess.  

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Mike J said:

The video released as the consumer ad does not show any safety gear at all. 

If you look at the video at 0:39/0:40 there is a black rope from the top of the metal pole leading downwards towards the middle of her back and it is under tension.  That looks like the guy rope for a waist type tower harness to me (which is what we used to use).

These days it is more common to use a full over the shoulder, cross over and down around the thigh type but the simple around the waist types are still available (and a lot quicker to climb with).

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

If you look at the video at 0:39/0:40 there is a black rope from the top of the metal pole leading downwards towards the middle of her back and it is under tension.  That looks like the guy rope for a waist type tower harness to me (which is what we used to use).

These days it is more common to use a full over the shoulder, cross over and down around the thigh type but the simple around the waist types are still available (and a lot quicker to climb with).

Okay, got it.  When I watched the video I made the mistake of thinking it ended where they zoom away and the text says "See you in Dubai" and stopped watching.  And that first 33 seconds is what was originally shown by the airline to the public.

Here is an article which shows the version shown to the public and some of the public's reaction when shown.

https://indianexpress.com/article/trending/trending-globally/emirates-latest-ad-shows-woman-standing-atop-burj-khalifa-7445493/

In what is bound to inspire awe and dread in equal measure among viewers, the latest advertisement by Dubai-based airlines Emirates  features a woman standing on top of the Burj Khalifa in Dubai.

The advertisement, which was released to celebrate the decision allowing quarantine-free travel between Britain and the United Arab Emirates, was shot without the use of a green screen or special effects, according to the carrier, the Khaleej Times reported. The 33-second promotional video titled ‘We’re on top of the world’, which has now gone viral, shows a woman dressed as a cabin crew welcoming passengers back to Dubai after it was added to UK’s amber travel list.

Previously, Dubai was a part of its red list that mandated fully vaccinated travellers from the middle-eastern country to undergo compulsory 10-day quarantine in hotels after entering the UK.

However, the celebratory video is not for the faint-hearted. When the camera suddenly zooms out, the woman is seen standing on top of the world’s tallest building — the Burj Khalifa. The clip concludes with a “See you in Dubai” tag line.

Watch the video here:

At first glance, the advertisement looks no different featuring an airlines staff holding informative cards. However, it is only in the final moments that the viewers will be in for a shock when the smiling woman is seen standing on the 830-metre-high tower.

The clip triggered a wide range of responses, with many speculating the use of CGI.

ALSO READ |Emirates’ aircraft makes majestic landing, leaves netizens impressed
Featuring in the advertisement was Nicole Smith-Ludvik, who according to her Instagram page is a “world traveller, skydiver, yoga instructor, hiker, adventurer”. In a thank you post to the airlines, Nicole wrote, “This is, without a doubt, one of the most amazing and exciting stunts I’ve ever done.”

The advertisement provoked multiple reactions online. While many are shocked by the stunt, others said they were impressed with Nicole’s bravery. Many also said that they were curious to watch the “behind the scenes” moments of the shooting of the advertisement.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

My thoughts run the opposite way.  Why would they film it on top of the tower?  It would be hugely cheaper and easier to use special effects in a studio and we obviously cannot tell.  I just have a feeling there is more to the story.

Again, why would they lie about it?  It just doesn't make sense to do so for all sorts of reasons.

The fact that it's getting us talking here, and elsewhere, is exactly why they'd do it for real - a fake situation in a studio wouldn't get anyone talking. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

a fake situation in a studio wouldn't get anyone talking. 

Or would it?  We would all be talking about how fake it was!

Actually, now I see this.  You go up on the inside.  Any photographer can go!  @stevewool you better start working out!  Too late for me!:smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

If I was younger I would love the chance , but being older and more common sense I would give this one a miss, here is my comfortable high nowadays .

01439D1F-8F5F-4373-B469-567F54D8E11C.jpeg

3C2FD87C-0706-4449-B60B-78FA9B4CEA0A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, hk blues said:

a fake situation in a studio wouldn't get anyone talking. 

It worked for the "supposed" moon landing. :cryingwhilelaughing_anim::cryingwhilelaughing_anim:

Just joking.  I don't believe the earth is flat, or that the moon landing was faked, or (after this thread discussed it) that this ad was faked.  Thank you all for helping me adjust my point of view.

EDIT:  As to why they would possibly fake it, here is a link to a lady who makes ads.  She shows how she built a fake shower to film an ad.  Why would she build a fake shower instead of using a real one?  Its advertising.  Thats what they do.  

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Why would she build a fake shower instead of using a real one?  Its advertising.  Thats what they do. 

She seems to be a semi-pro working mainly at home or in her own small studio.  You have to have a perfect, flawless environment to film a product endorsement advertisement, and it has to be open so you can get the shots you want.  She did it at home but most pros would do it in a big studio where set builders whip something together very quickly.

In either case, somebody in authority has to make the decision if it will be cost effective and achieved the desired goal.  So an advertising agency put together options for Emirates and they decide.

For her, she is the final authority and if her customer doesn't like her work, she doesn't get paid, I assume.  And perhaps her bathroom looks like this:

Screenshot (442).png

• Haha 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, stevewool said:

If I was younger I would love the chance , but being older and more common sense I would give this one a miss, here is my comfortable high nowadays .

Even when younger I could not do anything like this because of vertigo.  When I watch that Emirates add for example.  At the point where the view zooms out and you see her standing on top of the building - I actually feel like I might fall out of my chair.  :Caught:

• Haha 2