Two-factor authentication in the Philippines

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, KenM said:

I”m an apple user, but this looks like a good option on a cheap phone for communicating with the States in all manner https://smartphones.gadgethacks.com/news/traveling-abroad-here-are-6-reasons-google-fi-is-best-option-0195002/

I'm not following. That is quite expensive.  What do you gain from it?  You do plan to have a local Philippines phone, right?

Using my Philippines Android phone, I use SMART pre-paid.  Haven't added load to it in months because I rarely need to make a real phone call.  Local calls I can make for free on my landline.  SMART has a fantastic cheap data plan.  p399 for 24GB, never expires.  I started mine on April 1 and I still have 9.65 BG left.

For friends and family in the U.S., I used Facebook Messenger from my phone or laptop.  Same for Philippines.  Quality of voice and video calls is very good.

For calling U.S. businesses and friends in the U.S. who don't use FB, I use Google voice from my phone or laptop.

I have my Google Voice number listed with all of my U.S. banking, Social Security, realtors, etc.  If they call me on U.S. time during the middle of the night, it goes to voicemail and I can return the call in the morning.   As mentioned, the Voice number is used for 2FA too.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, KenM said:

I would be grateful for advice from the experienced. 

Before we moved 9 years ago bought a device called Magic Jack. It plugs into your computer and your regular land line phone. Upon activation you get to choose what USA area code you want and they give you a number. 

If you leave it plugged in to your computer it is just like a regular phone. If you unplug it (like we do) and a call comes in they are directed to leave a message which gets emailed to you.

Frankly I do not remember the cost or the annual fee, it can not be to much as the wife never mentions it. Have not had any problems with it so far :thumbsup:

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I had a problem when my US bank switched to two factor security.  I called them and said two factor would not work here and I would need to change banks.  Their tech department was able to switch off two factor on there end.  After a period of a few month user settings change to include two factor as an "option" with the default setting set to "ON".   So check with you banks or other financial institution to see if two factor is actually mandatory.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, Mike J said:

So check with you banks or other financial institution to see if two factor is actually mandatory.

I did this Mike and my Bank said for them, it was mandatory :whatever:

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I did this Mike and my Bank said for them, it was mandatory :whatever:

One of my banks has mandatory 2 factor authorization but the other one has the option of using a code generator app on my phone (one that is registered with my bank branch).  The downside of that is the app is linked to the phone (and to the OS install) so I can't upgrade the phone and if I had to reinstall the phone OS while I was in the Philippines I woud lose access to the code app.  So I persist with 2FA.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, GeoffH said:

So I persist with 2FA.

For me Geoff anything else can be  too stressful, Things are what they are EH? :smile: maybe you should say  suffer and not persist  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Haha 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, KenM said:

Thanks for the information. I’ll try to find a cheap plan or pay as you go solution in the U.S. and port my number there. Put that sim back in when necessary. Which is pretty often with the security at my work. 

What do I need to know about cheap phones that will work as my 2 factor phone?

There are services like Park My Phone which will keep your number active and give you access to text and voice messages sent to the phone number. You can port your US phone number to their service. Of course, there is a monthly fee for this. And to gain access to your SMS or voice mail's you will need internet access.

Heeb
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, KenM said:

I have further researched the t-mobile and google fi cut people off who ar out of the country for long periods of time:

https://globalisationguide.org/review/google-fi/

Back to the drawing board. Unless the google voice solution will always work for verification does anyone know of a U.S. provider who won’t cut off service to those out of the country? If I get over and then can’t verify I’ll have a major problem. 

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=328878

I have a T-Mobile virtual sim on an iPhone 11, it costs me $55 a month which includes an international plan. I have no problems receiving texts, and I can call anywhere free of charge when I’m using wifi calling.

KenM
Posted
Posted

T-Mobile and Google fi are cutting people off who are out of the country long-term. The advantage of google fi would be you could keep your number, receive the verification messages, and call and receive calls from the states over Wi-Fi for free, but they aren’t allowing long term.

The sim and extra phone solution is fine but who provides a gsm prepaid that won’t eventually cut you off for being out of the U.S. I would appreciate if anyone knows.

I will look into parkmyphone. Can anyone confirm that you can get every type of 2fa verification message with that service?  

As I mentioned, there are probably companies that I never use and when I need to suddenly I’ll need the 2fa. I am currently locked out of a bank account in the UK and have to go there to fix the problem. Fortunately there wasn’t a lot of money in it. But I can never have that situation again. And work verification is critical.

Thanks,

Ken

Heeb
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, KenM said:

T-Mobile and Google fi are cutting people off who are out of the country long-term. The advantage of google fi would be you could keep your number, receive the verification messages, and call and receive calls from the states over Wi-Fi for free, but they aren’t allowing long term.

I didn’t know that, I’ve had them in P.I. for two years and no problem.