Two-factor authentication in the Philippines

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Is that an Aussie bank?  If it is do you mind telling me which one?

Bank of Queensland mate.  

• Thanks 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

Bank of Queensland mate.  

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

I just got this e-mail from Google today.  I'm a bit worried because I used Google Voice for my 2FA.  I will report back after I find out more.

Soon you’ll sign in with 2-Step Verification
AATXAJxH4VAMiRk8EQZRb-Mv1JW-kTd0T6dcmhAA xxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com
After you enter your password, you’ll complete a second step on your phone. Keep your phone nearby when you sign in.

2-Step Verification will be turned on automatically on October 26. You can turn this on sooner if you want — your account is all set.
Edited by OnMyWay
  • Hmm thinking 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I just got this e-mail from Google today.  I'm a bit worried because I used Google Voice for my 2FA.  I will report back after I find out more.

Soon you’ll sign in with 2-Step Verification
AATXAJxH4VAMiRk8EQZRb-Mv1JW-kTd0T6dcmhAA xxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com
After you enter your password, you’ll complete a second step on your phone. Keep your phone nearby when you sign in.

2-Step Verification will be turned on automatically on October 26. You can turn this on sooner if you want — your account is all set.

I expect that the Google Authenticate app will be one of the options for gmail 2FA so no need to worry.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, earthdome said:

I expect that the Google Authenticate app will be one of the options for gmail 2FA so no need to worry.

It is but I did not choose it because I am not familiar with it.

I went ahead and signed up for 2FA so I could figure out if there are any negative impacts to me.  I don't think there are.

The main 2fa is to send a code to your devices that are signed in.  I had a list of about 5 including my current phone.

Then there are several back up options.  The default would send an sms to my Philippines phone.  They will not send it to my Google Voice phone number.  I chose a to get a list of backup codes.  Ten one time use codes that you can download and/or print.

I have not tried it yet.  It did say that you will stay logged in on your listed registered devices, same as now, so I rarely need to log in.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
KenM
Posted
Posted

Update, I went with spectrum as they have a cheap plan with good international roaming rates and don’t care how long you are out of the country. Fast forward a year and I just purchased a new phone here in the Philippines. They will not support phones purchased outside of the U.S. either sim or esim. So now I need to Gina another company that will work with phones purchased in the Philippines and doesn’t care how long you are out of the states. Does anyone have recent experience with providers they can suggest? 

longway
Posted
Posted
On 10/15/2021 at 2:37 AM, OnMyWay said:

Fidelity Investments

Although Fidelity has never used 2FA for me yet, I think they do for for certain things.

My Fidelity account was using 2FA which was a pain bcuz I was checking market updates several times a day. I went into my profile settings and disabled that feature. Now I just need user name and password, I always have my VPN on when accessing that account so I feel pretty safe.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, longway said:

Now I just need user name and password, I always have my VPN on when accessing that account so I feel pretty safe.

Same here

• 7 months later...
Kingpin
Posted
Posted
On 10/16/2021 at 9:50 PM, graham59 said:

Skype also offer a 'home country' phone number.

Anyone else not getting 2FA though Skype anymore?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Anyone else not getting 2FA though Skype anymore?

Most financial institutions will no longer do 2FA to a VOIP (voice over internet protocol) number.  The phone numbers issued by these services are landline numbers.  Apparently these numbers are more subject to hacking so banks, etc. stopped allowing 2FA to those types of numbers.  I am still trying to find my way out of 2FA hell myself.