Which Visa should my Spouse get?

Girl_going_home
Posted
Posted

Hi all.  I am a returning Filipina.  I have a dual Citizenship with Philippines / America.  Been living in the States for 30 years now.  My American husband and I will be retiring in the Philippines next year and wanted to get advice which Visa he should apply for.  13A seems to be the best option for him but I wanted to get your advise.  Don't really want to make border runs every year.  lol.   We both plan on staying in the Philippines forever.   Also can we start his visa process now while we are in the states or does he get in on a tourist visa and convert once we move?  Thanks

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)

Agree with @scott h, 13A is definitely the best option for almost everyone married to a Philippine citizen.  Easier to do the process in the USA and there is no "one year probation" until the 13A is made permanent.   

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 5

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I "Third" the 13a statements.  I'd say start the process now but to my knowledge PI overseas missions aren't processing them at the moment but given how rapidly things are currently changing that may change soon.  It wouldn't hurt to start gathering the required paperwork etc now though.  

• Like 4

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Just to add a little spice to the subject.. 13A are for those happily married chaps who are happy for their visa to be "under the wifes control". After lal she has to approve the application etc

The SRRV visa however means that no matter what happens in the relationship, the holder of the SRRV can be totally independent and is not under anyones control. :)   That was related to me by a PRA marketer. 

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, scott h said:

Be in the Phil for at least 6 months, then get an NBI (Phil version of the FBI) clearance, once that is finished you will need to make a minimum of 3 trips to the immigration office (located at Inturmuros) and that process will take another 3-4 months. 

Just to correct this slightly :smile: He can apply for a 13a from day one but if being in the Philippines less than six months must obtain a police clearance from his own country. If staying here more than 6 months before applying then it is not required. If he has a criminal record it would be easier to come as a balikbayan with you and wait for 6 months to apply for a 13a.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Girl_going_home said:

My American husband and I will be retiring in the Philippines next year

I dont recall it mentioned but I know you have returned 4 times in your life but has your husband been here and know what he is getting into?

Girl_going_home
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I dont recall it mentioned but I know you have returned 4 times in your life but has your husband been here and know what he is getting into?

LOL.  good question.  He has been here 4 times as well.  Once without me.  Do either of us know what we are getting into?  Shit no.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Girl_going_home
Posted
Posted

Does any one know if there are any Tax advantages to 13a Vs SRRV?  He does plan to work by hosting an Air BNB type rental etc.  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Girl_going_home said:

Does any one know if there are any Tax advantages to 13a Vs SRRV?  He does plan to work by hosting an Air BNB type rental etc.  

A visa really has no bearing on a business. Both visas will allow him to work but for tax, you pay on earning's from a business.

• Like 1