SKY internet wants 3 months advanced for foreigner's

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I am moving condo units as I can get a better deal with covid rent prices.

I applied for Sky internet in my name and the question they ask is nationality. Never thought anything of it and laughed at the Mother's maiden name question.

Anyway today get a message saying foreigner's have to pay 3 months in advance of which my girlfriend replied and told them to cancel and stick it.

So why do foreigners have to pay an advance amount? Its not alot of money but never seen anything in terms and conditions which is why GF was cheesed off.

• Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

So why do foreigners have to pay an advance amount?

Obviously it is due to the pandemic if we think it through.

If we look back, travel got shut down, an American tourist is stranded, paying huge $ on a hotel room, rents an apartment then the freedom flights start up, the yank packs his trash and skips town.

You as an Australian on a tourist visa and with Australia now finally allowing their citizens to return home, in their mind what is to keep you from hopping a plane net week?

From their point of view it sounds reasonable.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, scott h said:

From their point of view it sounds reasonable.

Not really. So I will just put it in Joys name and what's to say she wont be out of work next month and she cant pay her bills and decides to go back to the province leaving her internet unpaid. What about any Filipino, they might sign up and 2 months later have an  overseas job and skip town.

Why dont they just ask to see a new 12 month rent agreement which should be an indication l will be around awhile.

They dont ask, I could be here on a 13a so how would they know or why believe I might go home.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I am moving condo units as I can get a better deal with covid rent prices.

Ok, Then lets try another approach. Did the condo you were think of moving into ask for a security deposit? 1st and last months rent?

girlfriend replied and told them to cancel and stick it.

Bottom line is that this is their corporate policy, and as a consumer you and your GF did exactly the right thing,,,voted with your wallet :thumbsup:

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I think your flogging a dead horse, JGF, if we ask around the countries that contribute to this site, I'm pretty sure they have an upfront payment on accounts. Here in Oz Optus is one month advance, but I do agree, three months is a bit steep. There's nothing you can do, except what your missus did, give them the bums rush. :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:enjoy.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Clermont said:

I think your flogging a dead horse, JGF, if we ask around the countries that contribute to this site, I'm pretty sure they have an upfront payment on accounts. Here in Oz Optus is one month advance, but I do agree, three months is a bit steep. There's nothing you can do, except what your missus did, give them the bums rush. :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:enjoy.

Then why is it a Filipino does not have to pay. Oh and I forgot as well a foreigner has to pay for the modern when a Filipino does not so.

• Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

Ok, Then lets try another approach. Did the condo you were think of moving into ask for a security deposit? 1st and last months rent?

It is expected to pay and makes no difference if your foreigner or Filipino as thats how a lease is on property. My point is the policy for internet discriminates when my peso is just as good as a Filipinos.

Now over the years I have heard a lot of complaints, say if you visit a tourist attraction and two different prices, one for local and one for the rich guy to see or do the same thing.

RBM
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

It is expected to pay and makes no difference if your foreigner or Filipino as thats how a lease is on property. My point is the policy for internet discriminates when my peso is just as good as a Filipinos.

Now over the years I have heard a lot of complaints, say if you visit a tourist attraction and two different prices, one for local and one for the rich guy to see or do the same thing.

This is common in Thailand, even here I notice a few official places have different prices for foreigners.  Not much can do except not go.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, RBM said:

few official places have different prices for foreigners. 

Not just foreigners,,,I have seen several places that charge different prices for locals and another for out of towners....pinoy or not

As I think about it. The San Diego Zoo in California charges more to out of town visitors.

• Like 1