Locked in!

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

This morning my wife could not get the deadbolt to unlock. She and her friends crawled out the window to go to the market and get someone to break the lock. 
It is my friends air b&b here in Angeles city. Many laughed at me for having a mini belt buckle multi tool.

2C405B41-4B58-4924-ABE8-CE2379562AE6.jpegCFEB7EE5-C7DC-48BC-8E00-5E61BC32C3D6.jpeg

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, FlyAway said:

She and her friends crawled out the window to go to the market and get someone to break the lock. 

Good thing it did not happen in a condo where there is only one door in/out and the window is 15 floors above ground.

• Like 2

FlyAway
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Good thing it did not happen in a condo where there is only one door in/out and the window is 15 floors above ground.

You got that right!

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, FlyAway said:

This morning my wife could not get the deadbolt to unlock. She and her friends crawled out the window to go to the market and get someone to break the lock. 
It is my friends air b&b here in Angeles city. Many laughed at me for having a mini belt buckle multi tool.

2C405B41-4B58-4924-ABE8-CE2379562AE6.jpegCFEB7EE5-C7DC-48BC-8E00-5E61BC32C3D6.jpeg

Next time as long as it's not the dead locking type you can cut a plastic drinks bottle into a flat sheet then cut a slot out of the side about twice as wide as the latch, squeeze it between the door gap above the latch then slide it down until the latch goes into the slot you have cut out.  Pull the plastic towards you to push the latch in and the door will open.  I've also used a wire coathanger which same again just hook the latch and pull the coathanger.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Especially if there was a fire.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Next time as long as it's not the dead locking type you can cut a plastic drinks bottle into a flat sheet then cut a slot out of the side about twice as wide as the latch, squeeze it between the door gap above the latch then slide it down until the latch goes into the slot you have cut out.  Pull the plastic towards you to push the latch in and the door will open.  I've also used a wire coathanger which same again just hook the latch and pull the coathanger.

The bolt mechanism itself was jammed up. Could not twist it open. Screen door was latched on the inside. Had to take the inner screws off the latch then fight to release the deadbolt.

Good reason to always carry a multi tool. Always comes in handy.

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted

I have a nice walk in shower with a glass door. It seemed to be sticking a bit so having researched on Youtube how to adjust the door settings I was armed with my allan key and went into the shower ready to fix it. ..followed the instructions from youtube and found the door was  then totally unopenable. With me inside. Gf was out of town at that time so I was effectively locked in the shower.

As there was no food or drink or bedsheets  in the said shower I tried to put the door settings back to where they had been, with an equal lack of success.

What to do when you are effectively locked in your shower.....used said key, took all the screws out and lifted the glass door off its bracket..then went and called condo management company and the next day the guys rehung the glass door....and suggested next time the door got stiff, that I contact them. Good advice I felt !

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, FlyAway said:

The bolt mechanism itself was jammed up. Could not twist it open. Screen door was latched on the inside. Had to take the inner screws off the latch then fight to release the deadbolt.

Good reason to always carry a multi tool. Always comes in handy.

Knock the hinge pins out and take the door off could be another option.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Clermont said:

Have you got relies over here in Oz, most of Australia's ancestors got shipped over here for the very same thing. :whistling: 

I thought that was sheep worrying they got sent over for doing. :whistling:

• Like 1