Taxi / Grab from Mactan Airport

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We just booked a flight to Mactan on Christmas Day.  Can somebody give me a rough idea of what a taxi costs from the airport to Jpark on the other side of the island?  We will not stay there but that is about as far as we will go.  Christmas Day traffic should be light.

One issue we always have now is that there are 5 of us, but 2 are kids and 1 skinny teenager.  Not much luggage.  Do they have larger taxis and are there Covid restrictions on the taxis?

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Christmas Day traffic should be light.

OMW I would not count on that :tiphat:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Do they have larger taxis and are there Covid restrictions on the taxis?

Yes called black taxis.  Premium-black-taxi-gold-marking.jpg

Will cost you more and to explain the color coding on the door determines the price.

Read below

Spoiler

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1847099/Cebu/Local-News/New-premium-taxi-service-starts-operations-in-Cebu

March 04, 2020
A NEW premium taxi service has started operating in Cebu as part of the Public Utility Vehicle Modernization Program of the Department of Transportation (DOTr).

Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) 7 Regional Director Eduardo Montealto Jr. said the company KTTS has 120 vans, all of them black, which charge higher fare compared to regular taxis.

He said the premium taxis are classified into two types: silver and gold, based on the color of the name “KTTS” on the body of the vans. The units can accommodate a maximum of eight people, including the driver.

The gold vans, which are bigger than the silver ones, charge a flag down rate of P60. The silver ones have a flag down rate of P50.

Montealto said they opened a bidding for all operators for 500 premium taxi vans but only 350 units were bid.

Of the 350 vans, 120 units were given a probationary authorization to operate since the remaining vans have yet to arrive in Cebu.

“Kinahanglan sila mo comply atong tulo ka prequisite nato which is legal, technical and financial cabability. Kung molusot sila anang tulo, mo qualify sila (They have to comply with the three prerequisites, which are legal, technical and financial capability. If they pass all three, then they will qualify),” Montealto said.

He said the premium taxi vans can be availed using ride-hailing service apps Grab, MiCab, Hirna, and Hype.

The LTFRB requires all premium taxis to have a closed circuit television (CCTV), a dashboard camera, a ride-hailing service app, Global Positioning System (GPS) or Global Mobile Satellite System (GMSS).

Montealto said the GPS and GMSS are used to determine the location of the unit and make sure operators do not exceed their boundaries.

He added that the monitoring can be used in case of crimes or when passengers leave their belongings inside the unit. (JCT)

I took a taxi the other night, all barriers are gone but I think you need a mask. At this point face shields are still required to enter a mall in Cebu city. Might be different in Mactan. 

There are plenty of hire vans with drivers which might be cheaper for you. Actually GF workmates Husband has a van for hire. I can find out price if you want? 

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

There are plenty of hire vans with drivers which might be cheaper for you. Actually GF workmates Husband has a van for hire. I can find out price if you want? 

Thanks for the info!  We will probably book our hotels or AirBnbs this week, and then I can get some quotes.  Not sure if we will leave Mactan this trip.  Last trip in 2019 my wife's cousin took us around Cebu and I expect they will offer again.  Most of the nice resorts offer day trips, so we might camp out in one place and try out several resorts for day trips.  My kids are water rats now and would stay in the pools or ocean all day if we let them!

Our favorite airport, Clark, currently sucks, so we have to go to Manila.  The only domestic flights from Clark to Cebu are 3 times a week, and expensive, whereas Manila has like 6 flights a day on PAL, + Air Asia and CP.

Gator
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, OnMyWay said:Most of the nice resorts offer day trips, so we might camp out in one place and try out several resorts for day trips.  My kids are water rats now and would stay in the pools or ocean all day if we let them!

A day trip, or better an overnight trip, to Oslob to swim with the whale sharks might be a real treat for your kids. That’s of course if they’re open and operating the tours. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Gator said:

A day trip, or better an overnight trip, to Oslob to swim with the whale sharks might be a real treat for your kids. That’s of course if they’re open and operating the tours. 

Yes, they have resumed operations.  Additional info available on their Facebook page.

https://web.facebook.com/oslobwhalesharks/?_rdc=1&_rdr

• Like 3