Aquiring a British Passport for a child.

graham59
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, hk blues said:

That was my thinking but I wonder why anyone would chose to register citizenship at a cost of 1,000+ rather than simply apply for a passport at a cost of 100+ - I suppose those whose circumstances are less clear need to go down the MN1 route first prior to applying for a passport.  

I think possibly to acquire a British birth certificate (and thereby British Citizenship ?). Seem to remember reading something about it (making it easier to also obtain a passport in the future). Still a good money-spinner for the British government though. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

I think possibly to acquire a British birth certificate (and thereby British Citizenship ?). Seem to remember reading something about it (making it easier to also obtain a passport in the future). Still a good money-spinner for the British government though. 

Not really - you cannot acquire a UK birth certificate unless born in the UK.  The MN1 is a process whereby people can register their British citizenship.  There are 2 scenarios where this is not necessary - born in the UK and citizenship by descent i.e. born with a British parent.  For all other cases the MN1 is needed. 

I've possibly over-simplified things but that's more or less how it works.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Okay, whatever.

My son now has a British passport, plus a Filipino one. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, hk blues said:

I've possibly over-simplified things but that's more or less how it works.

Perhaps.  Whilst it's not possible to obtain a regular British birth certificate, you can apply for a consular birth registration certificate.

Spoiler

Edit:  For the purists, read it like this . .  British Consular birth registration certificate.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Perhaps.  Whilst it's not possible to obtain a regular British birth certificate, you can apply for a consular birth registration certificate.

Hide contents

So not a birth certificate as I said. :tongue:

• Haha 1

Youngster
Posted
Posted
On 11/11/2021 at 6:50 PM, Snowy79 said:

The UK is surprisingly strict. I know two guys whose wives can't join them in the UK as they don't earn enough to support them. One just married and hasn't seen his wife since before Covid the other almost 2 1/2yrs and he has 3 kids by her. 

USA also has a minimum annual income requirement to sponsor his/her spouse...currently at $21,775.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Youngster said:

USA also has a minimum annual income requirement to sponsor his/her spouse...currently at $21,775.

Wow, I would hate to live on that amount just for a single person. 

graham59
Posted
Posted

Last time I checked, minimum (gross) income requirement in the UK was £18,600...if only the partner coming in to the country, plus a few thousand extra per child, if dependents involved too. 

The figures are based on the amount theoretically needed to keep the sponsor above qualifying for any UK welfare benefits...which would be a no-no, as a potential sponsor. 

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

Last time I checked, minimum (gross) income requirement in the UK was £18,600...if only the partner coming in to the country, plus a few thousand extra per child, if dependents involved too. 

The figures are based on the amount theoretically needed to keep the sponsor above qualifying for any UK welfare benefits...which would be a no-no, as a potential sponsor. 

Correct £18,600 just for the enemy but if you have rug rats also you require the following:

£3,800 for your first child

£2,400 for each child you have after your first child.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/proof-income

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Correct £18,600 just for the enemy but if you have rug rats also you require the following:

£3,800 for your first child

£2,400 for each child you have after your first child.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/proof-income

Doesn't have to be income though, cash in the bank suffices. That makes it SLIGHTLY more manageable if you can stash away £20K without touching it for the 5 years i.e. you don't need 5x £18,600.  

Still a hefty hunk of change to have to keep lying around though.