Anyone using windows 11 ?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I'm a triple Toughbook owner all running Windows 7 and wouldn't swap any of them. Never have any issues and don't play games so good enough for me. I've spent many an hour fixing issues for people running Windows 10 which would make me wary of Windows 11. 

Only issue I can see is that Windows 7 is no longer supported so there will be no security updates etc etc.  Possibly no issue for many users but might be for some.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Only issue I can see is that Windows 7 is no longer supported so there will be no security updates etc etc.  

I wouldn't use a Windows 7 laptop for anything related to banking or paying bills... but Windows 10 will be ok for years.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

I wouldn't use a Windows 7 laptop for anything related to banking or paying bills... but Windows 10 will be ok for years.

If past practice is anything to go by Windows 10 will be OK until 2025 i.e. 10 years from release.  So, for most folk Windows 11 is not a priority upgrade now.  

• Like 3

Major Tom
Posted
Posted

New here, but I wanted to chime in with my Windows 11 experience. Installing it was a piece of cake on my Windows 10 Dell Desktop. There are some things that were on Windows 10 that I liked, but they are missing on Windows 11, but overall, I enjoy using the almost Mac-like GUI.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just thought I'd add some belated stuff.  My truly mobile laptop, a MS Surface Pro, I upgraded to 11 yesterday.  Nice interface, I used to use Apples for sound mixing and video editing so it's somewhat familiar, but as others have stated nothing new or whiz-bang about it that I can find.  I had to go in and adjust all the privacy settings manually though, as with the last couple of iterations of Window they were defaulted to give my information to everyone.  

My Predator (Acer) gaming laptop, which is massive so effectively a desktop, I use for gaming only.  I haven't made the move yet on there as there's been reports of issues with many newer games as recently as last week.  

With regards to the privacy settings, here's a pretty comprehensive article explaining each one and how to enable/disable them.  At the end of the day, it's up to the individual user though. 

https://beebom.com/change-windows-11-settings-protect-privacy/

It annoys the hell out of me that the default is "enabled", it's even more annoying that they know that a lot of people don't understand the ramifications of some of the settings.  

I wish the world  ran on Linux/Unix on the front end, it's so much simpler.  

Edited by BrettGC

Major Tom
Posted
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I wish the world  ran on Linux/Unix on the front end, it's so much simpler. 

I can relate to how you feel, but I wish that Apple would have kept allowing any PC company willing to buy a license from Apple to manufacture PCs with the Apple Operating System (OS). This was a practice that Mr. Jobs abruptly ended after he was brought back to the very same company that he started and then he was fired from which.

Instead, Apple lost the ability to the dominate the PC World with a superior OS at more affordable prices than the monopoly model that Mr. Jobs preferred.

As a result, Mr. Gate’s awful OS now dominates the PC world, and Apple’s only gravy train is their never-ending ability to sell iPhones to existing customers at inflated prices with nominal changes from year to year to year.  infinity.jpg

Edited by Lieutenant Dan
  • Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Lieutenant Dan said:

I can relate to how you feel, but I wish that Apple would have kept allowing any PC company willing to buy a license from Apple to manufacture PCs with the Apple Operating System (OS). This was a practice that Mr. Jobs abruptly ended after he was brought back to the very same company that he started and then he was fired from which.

Instead, Apple lost the ability to the dominate the PC World with a superior OS at more affordable prices than the monopoly model that he preferred. Instead, Mr. Gate’s awful OS now dominates the PC world, and Apple’s only gravy train is their never-ending ability to sell iPhones to existing companies at inflated prices with nominal changes from year to year to year.  infinity.jpg

All that and the fact that most of the video/music/photo software that gave Apple its niche and domination in those sectors has been available on PC for some years now diminishes their market share even more.  

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Just thought I'd add some belated stuff.

I upgraded about a month ago. Only for a few hours as my sound system which my head phones work from just did not work with W10. I rolled it back.

• Like 1

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Only for a few hours as my sound system which my head phones work from just did not work with W10.

Probably because your sound driver was out of date and not compatible with Windows 11. I use a driver updater app, which lets me continue using Windows 11 on my upgraded Windows 10 PC without any disruption issues, since I still prefer Windows 11 to Windows 10.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 7/8/2022 at 6:49 AM, Lieutenant Dan said:

Probably because your sound driver was out of date and not compatible with Windows 11. I use a driver updater app, which lets me continue using Windows 11 on my upgraded Windows 10 PC without any disruption issues, since I still prefer Windows 11 to Windows 10.

Probably but I could not find an updated driver and needed to watch youtube while she slept. Anyway for the short time I was on Windows 11 I did not see much of anything different.