Just when you thought they'd ran out of stupid ideas.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I had to read this twice:  :7481:

UPDATE: The House approves bill mandating the playing of Filipino songs in hotels, resorts, restaurants, tourist buses, and all inbound international flights to the Philippines. Penalties for non-compliance will be as high as P300K.

Deputy Speaker Lito Atienza, primary author of the bill, says the bill "is going to be a very effective way to promote the Filipino culture, tradition, values, and our real character as a people." | via Nestor Corrales,

https://web.facebook.com/inquirerdotnet/posts/10161824193999453

• Haha 3
  • I'm Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Hmm thinking 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Snowy, I seriously did not believe this to be a "real' news story I figured it was a parody of some sort. Well it is a parody but in real life. :shock_40_anim_gif:

• Like 1

Yeochief
Posted
Posted

Wow, over 2.7k comments so for.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Yeochief said:

Wow, over 2.7k comments so for.

Doesn't surprise me - I could probably take a photo of my half-eaten lunch and get a few likes and comments. 

• Haha 4

Freebie
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Deputy Speaker Lito Atienza, primary author of the bill, says the bill "is going to be a very effective way to promote the Filipino culture, tradition, values, and our real character as a people."

Deputy Speaker Lito Atienza primary authour of the bill says the bill " is going to be a very effective way to ensure that Filipino stupidity remains at the very top of the pile, and that this bill will generate many comments but will serve no purpose at all".

"Captain , Captain , the pulis are here saying we cant take off as we were playing international music, not the Apo Hiking Society track....lol

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Isnt he the same guy who proposed a bill the change the name of the Philippines to some multi-syllable non pronounceable tagolog name?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

There is a lot more detail in this article.  You would be required to play a certain % of Pinoy music.  Insane.  Unenforceable, but will open plenty of opportunities for palms to be greased.  I have no problem with encouraging pride in culture, but this is stupid.  I hope it will not pass but nobody voted against it so far.

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1522067/bill-requires-planes-to-play-pinoy-music-upon-landing

Bill requires planes to play Pinoy music upon landing
By: Nestor Corrales - Reporter / @NCorralesINQPhilippine Daily Inquirer / 04:54 AM December 01, 2021

INQUIRER.net stock images

MANILA, Philippines — Philippine tourism’s new normal may not just come with pandemic precautions but also with an obligatory “soundtrack.”

The House of Representatives has approved on third and final reading a draft measure that would mandate the playing of Filipino songs in hotels, resorts, restaurants, tourist buses, and all inbound international flights.

ADVERTISEMENT
Voting 179-0-0, the chamber approved on Monday House Bill No. 10305, which requires international flights, upon landing in the Philippines, to devote at least 50 percent of its piped-in music to Filipino songs.

Under the bill, 50 percent of the playlist of tourists buses must be local songs while the repertoire of hotels, resorts, and restaurants must be 25-percent Filipino music.

The proponents said they wanted to showcase native culture through Philippine music, which the bill defined as “any musical composition, whether purely instrumental or with lyrics, which has been originally composed, written, arranged, performed or played by Filipinos.”

Hefty fines
Songs that were originally composed and written by Filipinos, regardless of whether the lyrics are in Filipino or English or in any regional language or dialect, will be considered Philippine music.

The measure imposes fines on violators: Airline companies failing to play the required music as their aircraft land in the country face a P300,000 fine, while bus operators will pay P50,000 for every offense.

The fine for hotels, restaurants, and resorts is P20,000 for every offense.

DOT task
The bill tasks the Department of Tourism (DOT) with coming up with the implementing rules and regulations 60 days after its passage into law.

Deputy Speaker Lito Atienza, one of the primary authors of the bill, said the measure should promote nationalism and attract more tourists to return to the Philippines.

The other authors include Laguna Rep. Sol Aragones, Tingog Rep. Yedda Marie Romualdez, Pangasinan Rep. Christopher de Venecia, Batanes Rep. Ciriaco Gato Jr., and Nueva Ecija Rep. Micaela Violago, among others.

ADVERTISEMENT
“It is going to be a very effective way to promote the Filipino culture, tradition, values, and our real character as a people,” Atienza said on Tuesday.

The bill will be sent to the Senate for its approval.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 3

Clermont
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Deputy Speaker Lito Atienza, one of the primary authors of the bill, said the measure should promote nationalism and attract more tourists to return to the Philippines.

Personally I don't mind a bit of PI music as long as they don't flog it at full volume and I think the best way to attract tourists open the bloody boarders and stop trying to rip them off when they land with over priced hotels. :angry_80_anim_gif:

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

This ranks right up there with trying to require a divider on motorcycles. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Haha 3