Safety Outside the Expat Fortresses

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I sort of find it funny with these high walls, glass and barb wire to feel safe. Yes you can sleep better at night but watch out when you open the gate to get the car out as thats where you will be ambushed if someone wanted something.

True, as they say "Locks only keep honest people out". 

• Like 5

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

You need to be more vigilant when the carnival is in town, my experience over 10 years is that crime goes up when they are about. I don`t live on a gated community and i feel quite safe to very safe here. Dogs are helpful if you train them not to bark at every little noise as after a while people take no notice of continually barking dogs and they wont gave a quick look over your houses way. Make friends ( at arms length) with the locals that always helps and don`t splash the cash too much. Good luck hope it works out for you.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

So very true Graham But my watchword which can be taken as Advice is " Never be in the wrong Place at the wrong time, saying the wrong thing to the wrong people or Person" keeping a low profile is always best, never talking about or showing big amounts of Cash and or expensive stuff  

Also as you know watch out when the carnival is about.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

watch out when you open the gate to get the car out as thats where you will be ambushed if someone wanted something.

You have a point but I don't often drive myself and I'd normally be inside whilst the car was started up and taken out onto the road.  I do ride the motorbike by myself sometimes (more because I like riding motorbikes) so I guess possibly then maybe?  I havn't heard of any expats having problems like that in CDO but that isn't to say it hasn't happened.

They'd pretty much have to be targetting us because we're in the back block of the subdivision in a dead end street and we have no 'passing traffic' (although the main road at the end of the subdivision is busier as it goes to the highway).

Honestly... I'm not too worried about that, I'm cautious not paranoid.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, graham59 said:

Yes we have a high perimeter wall, but that is more aimed at keeping 'livestock' out (and dogs... which I dislike. Don't want them fouling land that my son runs around on). 

We have no special security measures. I don't feel in need of them. I have never felt anything but safe and relaxed here, but there IS a skill to living amongst the locals.  :wink:

Thanks for the comforting comments, Graham.  I consider the perimeter wall a minimum requirement.  Still mulling over what other security measures I will need.  I think, as in your and my cases, being away from high density populations reduces somewhat the risk of crime spilling on to your property.  Not blind to the fact that crime can happen anywhere.

• Like 1

Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

my watchword which can be taken as Advice is " Never be in the wrong Place at the wrong time, saying the wrong thing to the wrong people or Person" keeping a low profile is always best, never talking about or showing big amounts of Cash and or expensive stuff  

Jack, I totally subscribe to your approach to getting along.  I've always lived a low-profile kind of life.  I plan on getting a simple used utility truck to get around, cargo shorts and a T-shirt for dress, and I own no bling.  Now, my wife will need some convincing.  What's the use of living the good life if you can't show off to your friends?!?  And I totally agree with becoming a positive contributor to the community.  Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Maxheadspace said:

Jack, I totally subscribe to your approach to getting along.  I've always lived a low-profile kind of life.  I plan on getting a simple used utility truck to get around, cargo shorts and a T-shirt for dress, and I own no bling.  Now, my wife will need some convincing.  What's the use of living the good life if you can't show off to your friends?!?  And I totally agree with becoming a positive contributor to the community.  Thanks for the feedback.

I've the same issue Jeff. My wife is not a braggart as I'm sure your wife is also not but my wife will share too much. 

• Like 4