Safety Outside the Expat Fortresses

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Increased safety can be achieved by lowering your profile.  The purpose of gated communities is to make thieves look elsewhere rather than face the possibility of confronting security guards armed with shotguns.  Same with high walls topped with barbed wire or broken glass.  Thieves are likely to move on to an easier target.  

On a personal basis, dress casually and no expensive looking watches and jewelry.  If shopping, place the expected amount to be spent in one pocket and hide the rest.  There is nothing like a large wad of money to attract attention.  When I carry folded currency, the smallest denominations are outside and largest hidden inside.  We never purchase the latest and most expensive cellular phones or wear designer clothes.  That's like placing a bullseye target front & back.  

We no longer go out after dark.  If you do, go as a group.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 12/18/2021 at 8:22 AM, Maxheadspace said:

I guess that's true anywhere.  They say 90% of all burglaries are perpetrated by people the homeowners know.  Friends, acquaintances stop by and see stuff in your house they like...   Decide to visit later on the sly to make off with your treasures.

I recall maybe 2 or 3 years ago a couple who shared their farm and friendship were later found at the bottom of their own well so not sure who did it but yes you might have guessed.

• Sad 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 12/6/2021 at 7:35 AM, GeoffH said:

They'd pretty much have to be targetting us

Yes I agree but in that case high walls wont help you and everyday 2 guys on a motorbike earn a living.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Are you referring to Philippines or the US?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gas
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Increased safety can be achieved by lowering your profile.  The purpose of gated communities is to make thieves look elsewhere rather than face the possibility of confronting security guards armed with shotguns.  Same with high walls topped with barbed wire or broken glass.  Thieves are likely to move on to an easier target.  

I would say the complete opposite. Over the past 25 years I have lived here the 3 foreigners I know who were held up at home all lived in high end gated communities.

One of the subdivisions was so ‘safe’ the maximum height you could build a wall around your property was 1.5m. The thieves came over the back wall of the subdivision and entered their house which only had a locked screen door as they felt so safe! 

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, RBM said:
9 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Are you referring to Philippines or the US?

Both.  Safety in numbers.  

graham59
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, JJReyes said:

If you do, go as a group.

Yes to that.

I always try to find a group of attractive teenaged girls to tag along with.  :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Gas said:

I would say the complete opposite. Over the past 25 years I have lived here the 3 foreigners I know who were held up at home all lived in high end gated communities.

One of the subdivisions was so ‘safe’ the maximum height you could build a wall around your property was 1.5m. The thieves came over the back wall of the subdivision and entered their house which only had a locked screen door as they felt so safe! 

We live in a gated community - petty thefts are common enough and from time-to-time something more serious happens so it's by no means totally safe.

That said, if I were a wealthy foreigner, I'd fancy my chances more in a gated community than not.  At least in a gated community there are plenty of options for thieves!

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Unless you are a hermit living in a remote location, it is highly unlikely you can achieve a satisfactory level of personal security.  What is desirable is to lower your profile so as to avoid attracting attention.  There will always be thieves and robbers.  But they are mostly predators looking for easy prey.  I remember a couple of female college students in Honolulu living by themselves in a small house.  They had a couple of used size 16 slippers by the door.  You would think there are a couple of huge guys inside.  Did it work?  Hard to tell.  But as a potential robber, I might not take the risk, preferring to move on to an easier target.   

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 12/21/2021 at 11:00 PM, JJReyes said:

They had a couple of used size 16 slippers by the door.  You would think there are a couple of huge guys inside.  Did it work?  Hard to tell.  But as a potential robber, I might not take the risk, preferring to move on to an easier target.

Most crims would not have the intelligence to think about shoe size.

• Like 1