Omicron. A blessing in disguise?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, earthdome said:

No, science is about hypothesizing then developing tests to prove/disprove them. If proven, being subject to additional testing which may disprove or modify the original hypothesis.

moving the goal posts is "To alter the rules or parameters of a situation in such a way as to suit one's needs or objectives, making it more difficult for someone else to succeed, keep pace, or achieve an opposing objective."

Yes but I was NOT moving the goal posts in that manner (nor in any manner, science was but not me).

The part of science I was referring to (but nice red herring attempt) was the fact that as science progresses it moves it's own goal posts forwards creating better outcomes with better information and methods.

There are many areas where methodology has improved over the years in medicine as new information has come to light.

Moving the 'goal posts' once more information is available to achieve a better outcome is a good thing, no matter how you seem to be trying to frame it and this is what is happening with updated vaccine advice and usage advice.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 5

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

More data is coming out on Omicron as expected as it's a relatively new variant. It might not be time to celebrate just yet as cases are shooting up and more cases in hospital and dying, still less than the Delta variant but worrying enough. 

What the scientists are now saying is that South Africa is now on it's 4th wave and due to their young population added to vaccinations and a high percentage of previous infections that may be the real reason behind the relatively low death rate. 

In the UK cases are now doubling every 2 to 3 days.  With a much older population and many with underlying health problems it has the possibilty to over run the health service again. 

One other area they are playing close to their chest is further mutations.  The virus can only mutate inside an infected person regardless how minor the infection is. With many times more reservoirs to mutate in things could get worse. 

They are also saying age makes a big difference regardless of underlying illnesses.  Apparently as we get older the cells grow more receptors which the virus can latch onto.  Thus the easier it is for older people to get infected and why less youngsters were getting infected. Omicron would change the age group of infections due to it's viral load. What long term differences it makes obviosly will take time to show up. 

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just read a news report saying the first two cases of omicron detected in the Philippines. one OFW one Nigerian National. Countries on the Green list with recorded local transmissions will now be moved onto the Yellow list.  No further information for now. It was on People's Television Network. 

Edited as I found a link to the Manila Times. https://www.manilatimes.net/2021/12/15/news/omicron-now-in-ph-as-2-travelers-test-positive/1826032

THE Department of Health (DoH) has confirmed that two cases of the Omicron variant were detected in the 48 samples sequenced by the Philippine Genome Center on Monday.

One of the two Omicron cases is a returning overseas Filipino from Japan who arrived on December 1 via Philippine Airlines flight and the second is a Nigerian who arrived via Oman Airlines flight WY 843.

Both are under isolation in a quarantine facility managed by the Bureau of Quarantine (BoQ) and are currently asymptomatic although the infected Filipino initially had symptoms of cough and cold upon arrival.

The DoH is now tracing the people who were in close contact with the two during their respective flights and verifying the test results and health status of all the passengers to determine if there are other confirmed cases.

Edited by Mike J
Added article text
  • Hmm thinking 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I read that the Omicron variant has an "offshoot" which evades testing. Standard tests will not detect it. Recent variants have been more transmissible. The future may bring variants which are more diificult to test for.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

I read that the Omicron variant has an "offshoot" which evades testing. Standard tests will not detect it. Recent variants have been more transmissible. The future may bring variants which are more diificult to test for.

How was this stealth offshoot discovered, you wonder? By way of genetic sequencing.

https://deadline.com/2021/12/stealth-omicron-offshoot-ba2-1234886790/#!

"The new lineage is being called “stealth” Omicron by some scientists and news outlets because, while PCR tests do identify it as Covid, the mutations on BA.2 defy a shortcut used by scientists to identify a Covid case specifically as Omicron. "

So viruses can still be identified as Covid-19, but not specifically as examples of the Omicron variant.

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Guy F. said:

I read that the Omicron variant has an "offshoot" which evades testing.

Hmm. A disease that is so mild they cannot even test for it?  Sounds like a world wide pandemic that should shut everything down and destroy the economy. (Sarcasm intended)

At what point will things get back to normal and the world admit that we are stuck with Covid variants for many years to come?  I am getting tired of the restrictions that do absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

They are also saying age makes a big difference regardless of underlying illnesses.  Apparently as we get older the cells grow more receptors which the virus can latch onto.  Thus the easier it is for older people to get infected and why less youngsters were getting infected. Omicron would change the age group of infections due to it's viral load. What long term differences it makes obviosly will take time to show up. 

My dad died from covid last Friday. He had all three shots and only went out to place his bets at the off track. I flew out to Chicago to see him but no one was allowed in the room, he was alone for almost two weeks. On the day he died my brother and mom were allowed a compassionate visit wearing PPE, my brother was with him when he passed, I had flown home the night before. Shortly before he died he asked my brother if he really had covid and he said "yes dad". My dad said "but I did everything right"

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

Clermont
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

At what point will things get back to normal and the world admit that we are stuck with Covid variants for many years to come?  I am getting tired of the restrictions that do absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

As the pollies have been spruiking in Australia we are the best in vaccination/ the lowest in infection, one of the best econimies in the world, now they open the gates to this Omicon virus and tell us we have to live with it. It's got me buggard what the last 20 odd months was all about, they tell us 25 thousand people are going to get this new variant per day and people will die in that mix. As a layman I've got no answers, maybe it just has to run it's coarse until the population is thinned out enough to stop the transmission. 

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Heeb said:

My dad died from covid last Friday. He had all three shots and only went out to place his bets at the off track. I flew out to Chicago to see him but no one was allowed in the room, he was alone for almost two weeks. On the day he died my brother and mom were allowed a compassionate visit wearing PPE, my brother was with him when he passed, I had flown home the night before. Shortly before he died he asked my brother if he really had covid and he said "yes dad". My dad said "but I did everything right"

My condolences on the loss of your father. Very sad how the elderly are being treated when close to passing.

• Thanks 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Heeb said:

My dad died from covid last Friday.

Condolences Heeb,  Sometimes we have no answer's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1