Filipinos join least motivated workers’ ranks

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Two things I have noticed when I go grocery shopping here in the Philippines. 

1 - There are WAY TOO MANY employees and many of them have nothing to do except stand and gossip or do busy work.

2 - If you do need assistance employees are EAGER TO HELP in any way they can.

To me this points to a management issue more than a motivational issue.  You do not get a highly efficient and dedicated workforce by throwing workers at it.  You get there with training and leadership from management.  The workplace problems here start at the top, not the bottom.

https://businessmirror.com.ph/2021/12/09/filipinos-join-least-motivated-workers-ranks-imd-report/

FILIPINOS are now among the least motivated workers in the world due to the pandemic, according to the latest Global Talent Ranking Index released by the Institute for Management Development (IMD) World Competitiveness Center.

Based on the 2021 report, the Philippines slipped 9 notches to 57th out of 64 economies worldwide. This has made Filipinos the fourth most unmotivated workers in the world because of Covid-19.

The Philippines was also the worst performer among the Asean countries included in the index this year. Singapore ranked 12th overall, slipping three notches from its 2020 ranking; Malaysia, 28th, slipped three notches; Thailand retained its ranking at 43rd; and Indonesia, 50th, slipping five notches.

“This has consequences for leadership responsibilities, as it’s clear that talent attraction and retention is no longer just a policy issue. It’s also the responsibility of senior executives who need to realize their role in boosting worker motivation, which is not just driven by external factors such as salary, safety, or quality of life, but also by the opportunities leaders can provide for workers to reskill, to work flexibly, and to have the use of the best tech at their fingertips,” said Arturo Bris, director of the IMD World Competitiveness Center, which is behind the research.

IMD said the index assesses the status and the development of competencies necessary for enterprises and the economy to achieve long-term value creation.

There are three major ways of grouping the survey questions thrown to executives from 64 economies—Appeal, Investment and Development, and Readiness.

Appeal refers to the extent to which an economy attracts foreign and retains local talent, while Investment and Development is a measurement of resources earmarked to cultivate a homegrown work force.

IMD said Readiness refers to what the quality of the skills and competencies available in a country’s talent pool are like.

Brain drain
“Clearly, mobility issues throughout the pandemic have meant there is less brain drain—well-educated and skilled people leaving their country—everywhere since 2020. But there is not such a marked drop in talent-rich economies than predicted because there has been an increase in motivation,” Bris said.

“Talent-weak economies, on the other hand, are suffering even more from brain drain than is consistent with the blows of the pandemic and the need to find a job anywhere,” he added.

Switzerland remained at the top of the index. This was followed by Sweden which improved three notches to 2nd globally in 2021; Luxembourg, which remained third overall; Norway, which also saw a three-notch improvement in its ranking; and Denmark which saw a decline of three notches to close the top 5 in the index.

At the bottom of the index are Venezuela, ranked 6th overall and which declined four notches from 2020; South Africa, 63rd and declined 11 notches; Peru, 62nd and slipped 11 notches; Mongolia, 61st and improved two notches; and Brazil, 60th overall and declined 1 notch compared to last year.

IMD is an independent academic institution with Swiss roots and global reach, founded 75 years ago by business leaders for business leaders.

Based in Lausanne (Switzerland) and Singapore, IMD has been ranked in the top 3 of the annual FT’s Executive Education Global Ranking for the last nine consecutive years and in the top 5 for 17 consecutive years.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Mike J said:

If you do need assistance employees are EAGER TO HELP in any way they can.

I have noticed the same thing over the years. What is also surprising is the high level of product knowledge these youngsters have in places like Wilcon and such (in most cases anyway)

We were at Wilcon the other day, every customer in sight had someone helping them yet there were still groups of 3 or 4 standing in the paint section, 3 in the electronic section and a few in the hardware area...In the mean time a crew of 4 merchandizers came by to restock the selves :89:

can only think of 2 interconnected reasons.  1, the wages must be insanely low 2 gross profit margin must be insanely high. How else to they make a profit.

give up.jpg

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

The Philippines is in some kind of parallel universe, from my observations anyway. Hence, such international surveys don't apply. :no:

It must have become a major inconvenience to have to do a bit of actual WORK these days though, rather than gormlessly staring at a mobile phone screen. :whatever:

• Haha 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Some of the workers I've met can't be bothered to join the least motivated ranks. :whistling:

Seriously just the last few weeks has been enough that even my partner shakes her head.  She used to turn a deaf ear when I complained about inefficiencies but since it's been affecting her she has had her eyes opened. 

Today's little bit of can't be bothered made me laugh. We grabbed a quick McDonalds to save time and she wanted chicken but the cashier said there was none so she opted for a burger.  Three bites into her burger another customer walked past with chicken.  My partner wondered why she had chicken when the cashier said there was none.  I had to point out that at that second she wanted chicken there was none but 30 seconds later once it had cooked there was some. That's the mentality I've found, you have to be very precise when asking for something or you won't get it. 

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I don't agree that it's anything to do with the pandemic - things were just as bad before it struck but, as with most countries, the pandemic is an easy blame.

The 2 worst places for excess staff are SM Store and Ace Hardware.  On the positive side, they do ask if they can help and tend to be knowledgeable about their product range so thumbs up for that.

• Like 4

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted (edited)

I agree with most all of what has been said, and without any doubt, businesses lack virtually no competence in the supervisor/management positions at any level.  Most places I've been to use their security guards as their day to day supervision with a complete absence of even basic supervision.  I believe this is primarily due to the " King Syndrome", which is when a person who is elevated into a management position, suddenly starts acting like the King and dumps his/her responsibilities on those below them.  They are now "above" the workforce and want all to know it .  Example....My wife and I went in to a department store and in their furniture area, we found an item we were looking for....but it had a slight damage that I knew I could fix myself.  I ask the clerk if they would offer a slight amount off, and he stated only the manager could authorize that.  I ask him to please confer with the manager, and he stated "he wasn't allowed too".  My wife and I, then said we would talk to the manager.  The clerk told us where his office was, but ask my wife to not tell the manager he told us or he would get in trouble.  We proceeded, knocked on the door, and a secretary answered and ask us to please wait and she would get the manager.  About 15 minutes later, she returned and told us that it was company policy that the manager was not allowed to talk with the customers.  That, my friends, is the reason why these rankings Mike J shared with us continue to doom this country.  

Edited by Peaceful John
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Clermont said:

was my good looks at work. :christmas_emoticons_187:

oh please.jpg

• Haha 4