Gov't beefs up monitoring of foreign retirees in PH

Gustav
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If you are in a happy and secure marriage then it does make more sense.  Keep in mind that there may be lots of opportunities to stray :xmas_girl:in which case an SRRV may make more sense.  Many different visa types but the most common are marriage, retirement and temporary visitor (perpetual tourist).

1 hour ago, Mike J said:

If you "stray" the type of visa you have could well be the least of your problems. :9436:

I would have family coming at me from all angles, so yeah ... :shock_40_anim_gif::smile:

• Like 5

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Gustav

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gator said:

Welcome to the forum!

If you decide to go the 13a route you might want to consider getting it thru the Philippines embassy / consulate in your home country.  It’s less of a hassle as it’s a permanent visa as opposed first getting a probationary 13a

I went down that route and would recommend it for both financial and hassle reasons.  

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Gustav said:

At first, I thought an SRRV would be the route I would go but does it make more sense to get a 13a?

As long as you are fully aware that with a 13A you are somewhat dependent on her largesse and good humour.

Be aware if for any reason she suddenly decides she doesnt want you in her life she can make up a story for Immigration and have you deported. In the case of the fellow as reported below, he was a decent law abiding fellow who liked a drink with his British mates in Sta Fe daily.

There were never any cases filed against him or police reports made as to him beating his wife during all the years they were together. . He was seen in the company of another lady long after they had separated. Female revenge and vengeance ensued. And thus he was deported based only on her story.

A Complaint of undesirability by your dear wife will get you sent home and deported. I know of a good few married gents who have the SRRV visa as its way, safer to have.

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1914445/cebu/local-news/british-man-arrested-for-abusing-cebu-women

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Peaceful John said:

In my opinion, the SRRV is a scam designed to draw additional money from the "rich foreigners". The benefits are virtually NIL and currently (after opening travel again) I have virtually the same benefits as my tourist friends.  I ask when I was paying, where does this money go?  Do the scores of board members listed each get a share?  All I was told was "it goes to the Philippines".  I truly regret ever submitting my application as I will never see any of it again and I would be just as well off as a tourist now.  But life is about living with the consequences of our decisions and I will live with this one.  To all my friends considering it..... please think twice before going forward with it and compare the benefits to what has happened over the past year or two.  The PRA has NO (zero) clout in the government and any benefit claimed can be rescinded in a second.  Additionally, don't bother with these so called agencies that help you get the SRRV as they are no help, no value add, to the process what so ever.  They charge you $400 to $600 (20,000  to 30,000 pesos) additional just to take it to the shipping agency and mail to Manila.  They claim to streamline and make the process simple, but reality is, no matter what, YOU have to complete all of the requirements yourself and your trip to their office (agency)  can be changed to a trip to the shipping agency, and you save the money.  The PRA people will give you the exact same information and it's them, not the fix it agency, that pre-certifies it.  I assure you, the only benefit of these agencies is that they mail it for you.  These are  my thoughts and opinions after going through the process.  Good luck to you all my friends.

john 

I agree with John, anyone using an agency is just burning money as the process is simple and ultimitely you are the only one that can get the information and medical.

What I will add though is for me as ex forces it's only $1.4k application and $1.5k deposit then $30 per year, no need for an exit certificate or exit flight either. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Freebie said:

Be aware if for any reason she suddenly decides she doesnt want you in her life she can make up a story for Immigration and have you deported. In the case of the fellow as reported below, he was a decent law abiding fellow who liked a drink with his British mates in Sta Fe daily.

It would not matter what visa you had the same thing can happen and a visa wont protect you. If someone wants to make trouble for you then they can.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Peaceful John said:

Additionally, don't bother with these so called agencies that help you get the SRRV as they are no help, no value add, to the process what so ever.  They charge you $400 to $600 (20,000  to 30,000 pesos) additional just to take it to the shipping agency and mail to Manila. 

You got ripped off or did it wrong. An accredited PRA marketer do not charge you for their service although l believe they are allowed. They are paid 500 peso  for each new retired member who signs up. Those who are advertising a service will charge you a fee just like visa consultants and the likes as thats how they run a business.

There are benefits for a start you dont have to exit the country every three years or extend visas throughout your stay.

https://pra.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/SIMPLIFIED-REQUIREMENT-AND-PROCEDURAL-PROCESS-FOR-THE-PAYMENT-OF-MARKETERS-FEE.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1