December Typhoon....

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

This Facebook news site has good info about Cebu.  They have a website too but FB seems to have the storm in focus.

https://www.facebook.com/sugboph/

https://sugbo.ph/

Scroll down a bit on their FB and you will find a post with a lot of pictures including before and after pics.  This link might work to take you directly to the post.

https://www.facebook.com/sugboph/photos/pcb.4807565475985810/4807565045985853

This is a before and after pic of the Crimson Resort beach.  We were going to do a day trip there end of next week.

267716323_4807564812652543_6623126824424526227_n.jpg

• Sad 3

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

What do you have if 25% of your roof blows away?

You have a  oof.

• Haha 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Gator said:

But they did loose almost all of their crops (mostly lettuce and herbs).

At least the next lettuce crop will grow quickly so shouldn't be too long to recover. 

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

• Sad 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just in case it helps anyone, a blogger I started watching when the storm was headed in lives in Mactan Newtown condos, and he said there was a Smart cignal there.  Smart may have an emergency unit there.

We were supposed to arrive there next Tuesday for 3 nights.  Canceled now.  The shops and groceries on the ground floor all had the windows blown out, but some were trying to operate.  The AirBnB host was able to send me a brief message "On generator power part of day".  Our one night on arrival AirBnb host has been able to communicate since the first morning has been really nice and we will try to book with them some day.  She said no elevators even with generator going, and you can only reach there by motorcycle.  And that one is on a main road!

No communication with Jpark where we had 2 nights booked, but they finally were able to post on their FB page that no new arrivals will be accepted.  I would imagine their huge waterpark structures took a massive beating.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Sad 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

Power was out for us from Thursday to Sunday. Internet came back up today. We are OK in Tandag Surigao del Sur where we came to spend the holidays with my wife's family this year. We were in the cone of death up until just before the storm made landfall. We were on the south side of the cyclone, so winds from the west that were far slower due to interference from the mountains. I have a friend that did the same in going to spend holidays here with his wife. They went to Cebu. Hope they are OK. The best thing I have seen in all this is the how the people here help each other. The local churches and people are putting together for relief efforts, sending water etc, to Surigao City, Siargao, and other hard hit areas north of us. Hope you are all well and safe. God Bless. Merry Christmas.

Reboot.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't think we have heard from any member who livesSouth of Cebu City or in Dumaguete.  I hope everyone is ok.

Filipina Pea posted an informative video.  She was able to fly into Mactan then drive down the east coast of Cebu, and get on a ferry there going to?  Dumaguete?  Not sure where she lives.  She showed all the major towns on the way and the varying levels of damage.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted

At least in the areas directly fronting the pacific, I think people to the south of the center probably had it much better than people to the north. Here in Tandag, we were on the south side and I think the mountainous terrain turned it into a major rain rather than wind event. Here's a pic off Windy.

CAF8C81D-FE50-4665-BAB5-80BFF58C2E34.PNG 

• Like 2