December Typhoon....

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I don't think we have heard from any member who livesSouth of Cebu City or in Dumaguete.  I hope everyone is ok.

Dumaguete city escaped reasonably well from what I read. Member Kevin has posted on FB that his power is back on.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Dumaguete city escaped reasonably well from what I read. Member Kevin has posted on FB that his power is back on.

Yes we did escape the worst of it we just had lots of trees down which caused the power outage. Up the coast both ways from here thay did no fare so well. Southern Cebu has been hit very badly tremendous amount of damage in Dalaguete. We wanted to send money to my in laws but cannot as nothing is working. I don`t do it very often but this time I will count my blessings. This is in Babayungen my wife`s hometown in Dalagutete, I think it`s the barangay hall. Poor farmers live up there and could do without this added hardship as a lot of other people could.

269093580_1549869758714900_1169915214148116603_n.jpg

Edited by sonjack2847
Add photo and text.
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

"...having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would...."  [Herman Melville's 'Moby Dick']

I thought I would.... watch the very many recent videos of Philippine Youtube vloggers who were unfortunate to be in typhoon Odette's path of destruction, now that they are showing up.

Looks like a repeat of super typhoon Ursula's December 2019 trail of carnage here in Roxas City and other track sites,  although the affected population numbers may have been smaller then... I believe.

Any way, there are a lot of videographers documenting in detail and from many locations with differing points of view this time with intend to provide long term follow up coverage.

I was wondering how much this will affect the trend for the many hopeful future PI expats who are souring on their home country retirement situations and would like to come here to join us.

The old saying re 'all publicity is good, even when negative' might not be of much value anymore. Vloggers are usually quasi-promoters, but this isn't their usual fare for a holiday or retirement destination.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

I was wondering how much this will affect the trend for the many hopeful future PI expats

Previous typhoons did not scare anyone away, (although I moved to Dumaguete, which has fewer typhoons, after being caught in 2013 in Yolanda).  Cebu gets a bad one every 30 years so people who live there will probably get back to normal in a few months .

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 12/22/2021 at 4:41 AM, sonjack2847 said:

This is in Babayungen my wife`s hometown in Dalagutete, I think it`s the barangay hall.

My wife's hometown is Inabanga, Bohol.  Very bad.  Duterte visited.  At about 1:30 of this video you will see a white church in good condition.  On the left is my wife's high school, not in good condition.  The church was rebuilt after the earthquake so it seems to have done well.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

"...having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would...."  [Herman Melville's 'Moby Dick']

I thought I would.... watch the very many recent videos of Philippine Youtube vloggers who were unfortunate to be in typhoon Odette's path of destruction, now that they are showing up.

Looks like a repeat of super typhoon Ursula's December 2019 trail of carnage here in Roxas City and other track sites,  although the affected population numbers may have been smaller then... I believe.

Any way, there are a lot of videographers documenting in detail and from many locations with differing points of view this time with intend to provide long term follow up coverage.

I was wondering how much this will affect the trend for the many hopeful future PI expats who are souring on their home country retirement situations and would like to come here to join us.

The old saying re 'all publicity is good, even when negative' might not be of much value anymore. Vloggers are usually quasi-promoters, but this isn't their usual fare for a holiday or retirement destination.

1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Previous typhoons did not scare anyone away, (although I moved to Dumaguete, which has fewer typhoons, after being caught in 2013 in Yolanda).  Cebu gets a bad one every 30 years so people who live there will probably get back to normal in a few months .

I think his point is, previous huge typhoons did not have the almost instantaneous boots on the ground, personal coverages.  Even many that started coverage before the storm, right through the storm, and the aftermath.  Personal drones were almost non-existent in 2013 when Yolanda hit so hard.  Now a lot of vloggers use them daily.  They have extra batts, charging blocks, etc., etc., all ready to go.  For many, this is their bread and butter.

Several months ago I was watching some vlogs from a guy who was living with his wife and 4 kids in Northern Bohol.  He and the two oldest kids moved to the U.S., with the wife and two other kids to follow.  They were living down in Florida.  So I was surprised to see them back in Bohol when the storm hit.  The wife's visa was taking too long so they decided to move back and wait with her in the Philippines.  They just arrived a few weeks ago, just in time to get blasted!  Good that he was there for his wife though.  They seem to be doing ok.  The Trinidad area is bad.

• Like 4

Gator
Posted
Posted

Anyone heard from Mike J yet?

The Asawa says Moalboal got hit hard and the road going there from Ginatilan is closed due to mud slides. Power company is mostly working to restore power along the highway and for government facilities. She was told they won’t likely have power back in the mountains until next week or the week after. 

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

Anyone heard from Mike J yet?

No. I would say no internet and power problems. His last login was on the 16th.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Hi guys.  Moalboal was in the direct path and the whole town is wrecked.  The eye hit at 11:25 so we got severe winds from both directions.  Wife and I are safe.  My house will need a complete new roof and a couple windows.   Salt spray and ocean grass on floor, walls, even the ceiling.  Four large trees on the lot fell.  Two just missed the house, so close they took rain gutters.  One just missed our 1300 litre water tank and pump.  One just missed the car.  The entire municipal electric system is just gone!  At least half the poles are down or bent clear over even the big new concrete ones.  All he wires down.   It will not be days or even weeks for power, it could be months.  People sleep overnight in their cars in lines to buy gas.  We do have water but it is not potable and bottled water is in short supply.  We fed the families around us for several days, basically ran out of food, water, and cash.  Four couples rented a van and drove the long way to the bottom of island and then took the ferry here to Dumaguete.  We will hit the ATMs, get cash, but solar flashlights, iodine to treat water, vitamins for the kids, and what ever else we can squeeze in our backpacks.   Will stay tonight and one more night then return to do what we can for family and neighbors.   The other three couples will look for rentals here in town and plan on moving as soon as they can.  Any suggestions for them?  They would prefer houses by the month if available but perhaps longer term lease if necessary.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 8