December Typhoon....

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Good to hear you both are safe Mike. It sounds like you had a wild time during that storm.

Our prayers and best wishes for you and the people of Moalboal who are truly suffering due to the destruction. 

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Hi guys.  Moalboal was in the direct path and the whole town is wrecked.  The eye hit at 11:25 so we got severe winds from both directions.  Wife and I are safe.  My house will need a complete new roof and a couple windows.   Salt spray and ocean grass on floor, walls, even the ceiling.  Four large trees on the lot fell.  Two just missed the house, so close they took rain gutters.  One just missed our 1300 litre water tank and pump.  One just missed the car.  The entire municipal electric system is just gone!  At least half the poles are down or bent clear over even the big new concrete ones.  All he wires down.   It will not be days or even weeks for power, it could be months.  People sleep overnight in their cars in lines to buy gas.  We do have water but it is not potable and bottled water is in short supply.  We fed the families around us for several days, basically ran out of food, water, and cash.  Four couples rented a van and drove the long way to the bottom of island and then took the ferry here to Dumaguete.  We will hit the ATMs, get cash, but solar flashlights, iodine to treat water, vitamins for the kids, and what ever else we can squeeze in our backpacks.   Will stay tonight and one more night then return to do what we can for family and neighbors.   The other three couples will look for rentals here in town and plan on moving as soon as they can.  Any suggestions for them?  They would prefer houses by the month if available but perhaps longer term lease if necessary.  

I've a friend in the Moalboal area and have managed to get over 50k peso from friends in Scotland that I've sent to help people out. She's nearer Ronda but up the hill and said 12 homes completely gone in her small community. No contact for a few days now as her phone is dead. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I've a friend in the Moalboal area and have managed to get over 50k peso from friends in Scotland that I've sent to help people out. She's nearer Ronda but up the hill and said 12 homes completely gone in her small community. No contact for a few days now as her phone is dead. 

No electric in Ronda so there is no cell service, even if she gets the phone charged (going rate is 30 peso) you probably will not reach her..  Today is the first my family and friends have heard from me since Thursday afternoon of the storm.  Many many house destroyed all around us.  Roads blocked with trees but most are passable now.   In order to get from Moalboal to Dumaguete we had first to travel north to Rondo, then east over the top of the island.  Then south and around the bottom of Cebu up to the ferry landing.  Multiple parts of the road have been washed out.  One way at times with delay of 20 minutes or more.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

even if she gets the phone charged (going rate is 30 peso)

They are charging for charging phones? Several places set up for charging here and as far as l know free. You can even take a shower at the fire station.

Anyway you survived which is what counts. Take some pictures if you can.

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

No electric in Ronda so there is no cell service, even if she gets the phone charged (going rate is 30 peso) you probably will not reach her..  Today is the first my family and friends have heard from me since Thursday afternoon of the storm.  Many many house destroyed all around us.  Roads blocked with trees but most are passable now.   In order to get from Moalboal to Dumaguete we had first to travel north to Rondo, then east over the top of the island.  Then south and around the bottom of Cebu up to the ferry landing.  Multiple parts of the road have been washed out.  One way at times with delay of 20 minutes or more.

Nice to hear from you. Glad you and the family made it  thru the typhoon safely! 

Asawa tells me the municipal hall in Ginatilan is using a generator and has set up charging stations. A Smart emergency cell tower is also set up. If needed, you might want to check in Moalboal if they’re doing the same there at any of the government facilities. They also seem to be giving priority to remittence centers as they know many OFW’s are trying to send financial help. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Gator said:

Nice to hear from you. Glad you and the family made it  thru the typhoon safely! 

Asawa tells me the municipal hall in Ginatilan is using a generator and has set up charging stations. A Smart emergency cell tower is also set up. If needed, you might want to check in Moalboal if they’re doing the same there at any of the government facilities. They also seem to be giving priority to remittence centers as they know many OFW’s are trying to send financial help. 

There are rumors (hopefully true) that the government will be sending a container load of generators to Moalboal.  As of yesterday when we left Moalboal there was extremely limited cell service in Panagsama (about 8 km from Moalboal) at a restobar that had a generator.  It was on the water and they would get an intermittent signal from a cell tower on the island of Negros.  The signal was very weak, drop out frequently, and would appear just before dusk for a couple hours.  There is one gas station that has a generator and the line for gas stretched for over a mile on the day we left.  Dozens and dozens of cars, hundreds of motorcycles.  Other people standing in line with  empty bleach bottles.  Terrible conditions and reports of looting of closed or damaged homes and business.  My dogs woke me up three times in one night barking when they are normally quiet all night.  I am feeling both hope and fear about going back.  I hope things will have improved, but I fear they may be worse. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Anyway you survived which is what counts. Take some pictures if you can.

My walk to mama's house day after the typhoon.  Had to climb over and crawl under downed trees and power poles.  The electric grid seems to be a complete loss and will need to be replaced pole by pole.  The picture of damage is what remains of a dive shop in Panagsama.  Every thing on/near the water has been severe damage or is a total loss.

Damage and roads.jpg

• Sad 6