Tackling the stray dog problem

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

I think their attitude towards animals is much the same as their attitude to the road rules when they are driving.

1) The larger dog has right of way.

2) Who gets to the food first, wins.

Edited by Guy F.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I notice since the typhoon in my area the dogs and cats seem to gone with the wind. I doubt especially cats would have found cover here before being picked up by the wind.

• Hmm thinking 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 12/15/2021 at 2:29 PM, Old55 said:

Besides reducing the dog population slightly it also teaches responsibility to dog owners.

That would take not 1 but more like 100 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Euthanasia is another option for dogs who are stray.  Eating garbage increases the likelihood of spreading disease.  However, most dogs you encounter on the streets are not real stray.  They have homes to return at night and are fed leftovers.  You don't often see locals walking dogs on a lease.  They just open the gate for daily exercise, returning at night or in the afternoon to be fed.  Their main purpose is to warn the household about intruders.  The concept of having a dog for petting and cuddling is Western. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 12/22/2021 at 11:05 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

I notice since the typhoon in my area the dogs and cats seem to gone with the wind. I doubt especially cats would have found cover here before being picked up by the wind.

Just to answer my own post. I did see 3 cats yesterday across the road. Don't know where they will find food.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Just to answer my own post. I did see 3 cats yesterday across the road. Don't know where they will find food.

The stray cats are actually helpful in keeping down the rat problem.   Shortly after the typhoon we found the remains of two dead rats in our yard.  We have two well fed cats who will kill rats and bring them home as some kind of present.  Normally we would only see a couple dead ones show up in a year.  Two in three days is unusual and I think that the destruction of other near by structures has them looking for new places to live.  When they get to our place the cats either kill them or chase them off.  

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Mike J said:

When they get to our place the cats either kill them or chase them off.  

Last year I watched the stray cats in the market and they did nothing about a rat. The rat was not scared or trying to escape and seemed they just co existed together. Might be because they were neighbors. :rolleyes:

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Last year I watched the stray cats in the market and they did nothing about a rat. The rat was not scared or trying to escape and seemed they just co existed together. Might be because they were neighbors. :rolleyes:

Only 1 of our 3 is a hunter - she regularly leaves a dead rat on the doorstep to show she's earning her keep.  Of course, they never eat them as they are well-fed so not necessary. Funnily enough, our neighbours dogs happily co-exist with our cats with no fighting.

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I doubt you would want to know. 

Gas
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Mike J said:

The stray cats are actually helpful in keeping down the rat problem.   Shortly after the typhoon we found the remains of two dead rats in our yard.  We have two well fed cats who will kill rats and bring them home as some kind of present.  Normally we would only see a couple dead ones show up in a year.  Two in three days is unusual and I think that the destruction of other near by structures has them looking for new places to live.  When they get to our place the cats either kill them or chase them off.  

Cats also kill native wildlife. Over the past few years i have noticed cats are becoming more popular in the Philippines which is not good news for the many rarer species of birds and other wildlife. 

There is very little evidence that cats keep down rodent populations.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1