Philippine Airlines exits US bankruptcy

intrepid
Posted
Posted

The national carrier of the Philippines had filed for bankruptcy in the United States in September, seeking relief from creditors as it tried to survive the devastation unleashed on the airline industry by the coronavirus pandemic.

Its court-approved reorganisation plan includes a $2 billion debt reduction and additional liquidity of $505 million from its main shareholder, PAL said in a statement Friday.It also has the option to obtain up to $150 million in additional financing from new investors.

"PAL has streamlined operations with a reorganised fleet and is now better capitalised for future growth," the airline added.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/philippine-airlines-exits-us-bankruptcy-050911982.html

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

It wouldn't be good for the Philippines for PAL to go bankrupt so it's good to see them making some progress.

However personally I wouldn't feel comfortable booking too far ahead with them just yet (where as I used to book 2 or 3 months ahead of departure).

• Like 3

Major Tom
Posted
Posted

Only used PAL when I was short on funds! Seems like they're also short on funds... what goes around, comes around. :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Slim Jim said:

Only used PAL when I was short on funds!

PAL and Cebu Pacific were the only airlines with direct flights to the Philippines from Melbourne, Australia so I used them a fair bit. 

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I'll be flying PAL next week.. I do have a backup plan though.  

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, BrettGC said:

I'll be flying PAL next week.. I do have a backup plan though.  

Dinghy?

• Haha 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Dinghy?

Singapore Air to Singapore then Manila....

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Singapore Air to Singapore then Manila....

It's ok if you've got lounge access... or the wait isn't more than a few hours.

No lounge access and a 12 hour connection wait isn't fun though.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, GeoffH said:

It's ok if you've got lounge access... or the wait isn't more than a few hours.

No lounge access and a 12 hour connection wait isn't fun though.

3 hours seems long enough for me but at Singapore if you wish to spend money you could book into the airport hotel.

• Like 1

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, GeoffH said:

PAL and Cebu Pacific were the only airlines with direct flights to the Philippines from Melbourne, Australia so I used them a fair bit. 

I'm glad that I have many more airline options…  but ever since COVID, my wife and I have been holding off on any more trips back to the Philippines, especially since our last trip was such a waste of time!

Because we spent one whole week locked up in a quarantine hotel in Cebu and 3 days locked up in a quarantine hotel in Manila... a very long story that began with our PAL flight being diverted from Manila to Cebu and we ended our trip with having just one whole day to visit friends and family (after 10 days of quarantines).

• Sad 1