Progress after typhoon

hk blues
Posted
Posted

We were lucky in Iloilo - power restored within 24 hours, internet back in 2 days.  Supplies in supermarket etc seemed as normal.  The internet was patchy over the past few days but back to normal now it seems.  Not too much clear up needed and much of it done. 

we're in good shape compared to others, and grateful for it. 

• Like 5

Freebie
Posted
Posted

I had been in Bantayan for the typhoon and whilst windy, didnt do a lot, though it did knock out Globe and all wifi for a ouple days. but drove from Hagnaya to Ceby airport yesterday. Lots gas stations seem to have lost their canopy from Danao on downwards, trees power poles etc down in many places....couple boats even pushed up onto the land. Very strange to see.  Many relief trucks departing from Bantayan on daily basis most full with 50 litre blue water containers, clearly without somrthing essential as water the rest of the work  restoration repair work cant happen.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

No potable drinking water and no means of getting money without a trip to Cebu. 

That certainly makes it hard. Seems to me from videos I have seen that many places are receiving basically no help and its been 3 weeks now.

• Sad 4

Gator
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

That certainly makes it hard. Seems to me from videos I have seen that many places are receiving basically no help and its been 3 weeks now.

Quite true. Seems like they’re focusing on the larger population centers and leaving those in the provinces to fend for themselves. AM tells me that ppl in her mountain community have been getting water from the head of a nearby river. They were told power (needed also for the water pumps) might not be restored until sometime in February. 

Power was mostly restored along the coastal road and in Ginatilan, but she’s only been to south to Santander (to collect a remittence I sent) and a little north to where the first bridge to Moalboal was washed out. 

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Gator said:

They were told power (needed also for the water pumps) might not be restored until sometime in February. 

I thought I read somewhere the governor was going to supply generators for water but maybe that was only for potable water stations. You would think they could get some water pumps restored with generators.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 1/5/2022 at 12:14 PM, hk blues said:

We were lucky in Iloilo - power restored within 24 hours, internet back in 2 days.  Supplies in supermarket etc seemed as normal.  The internet was patchy over the past few days but back to normal now it seems.  Not too much clear up needed and much of it done. 

we're in good shape compared to others, and grateful for it. 

Pretty much identical Bacolod. Just the Dito not working which no issue as we have gomo which is OK.

Looking at some you tubes its heart wrenching bit south of here.

• Thanks 1

Gator
Posted
Posted

The AM just got an update from the power company. It now looks like they won’t have power restored to their village until April or May.  The power company blames it on a lack of manpower and materials as well as priorities. It seems small mountain villages are the last on the list. 

Any recommendations for rechargeable solar powered lamps? Where to find, brands, etc. Just for indoor use for a few hours per night ……instead of burning oil lamps and using candles. AM says what’s on Lazada are mostly overpriced junk.