Jump to content

New Absolute Divorce Bill 2021


Recommended Posts

Hi All,

 

I understand that in Aug 21 this Bill was passed now allowing Filipinos to seek legal Divorce. Has anyone had any direct experience with the process now it has been legally approved? Some good background here on the Annulment process and shortcomings. This new Bill allowing Absolute Divorce for instance now allows women who are / were the subject of domestic violence to now seek recourse to legally end the marriage...

 

  • Hmm thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Boinky69 said:

Hi All,

 

I understand that in Aug 21 this Bill was passed now allowing Filipinos to seek legal Divorce. Has anyone had any direct experience with the process now it has been legally approved? Some good background here on the Annulment process and shortcomings. This new Bill allowing Absolute Divorce for instance now allows women who are / were the subject of domestic violence to now seek recourse to legally end the marriage...

 

I wouldn't hold your breath. I think it's still got to go infront of the plenary for final tweaking and the church has a lot of sway.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Judges and lawyers will also need time to re-jig their money extraction/delaying tactics processes.   :no:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Manager
52 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I wouldn't hold your breath. I think it's still got to go infront of the plenary for final tweaking and the church has a lot of sway.

According to news reports it was approved at the House of Representatives so my guess it has to be written into law but not much info after about the 18th of August.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

WHY NOT make the requirements for getting married more difficult than just making it easier to get divorced?... not just in the Philippines, but everywhere!

Maybe it can be handled just like the the required waiting period to buy a handgun (or rifle) in some States/Nations? There's even a Home Improvement business in the US (Home Depot) that requires a waiting period before committing to a contractor to come to your home to make improvements. The government doesn't want you to rush into buying gun(s) or a new door, new window(s), etc.

BUT

they see no reason(s) at all to have a waiting period for something that's just as serious (or even more serious) than committing to a lifetime of marriage?

  • Love it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Slim Jim said:

WHY NOT make the requirements for getting married more difficult than just making it easier to get divorced?... not just in the Philippines, but everywhere!

The point is that it was near impossible even for the locals to get an annulment even if they had split up for 20 years. As long as they put a cap on the price I see less problems than complications.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Slim Jim said:

WHY NOT make the requirements for getting married more difficult than just making it easier to get divorced?... not just in the Philippines, but everywhere!

Make it MORE difficult to get married in the Philippines???  Is that possible with todays red tape?? :shades:

In the late 70's we had to play the "K-1 board game" for a few months in the Philippines to get a visa... and then we had to get a blood test done before we got married (in the US)... the church wanted us to attend a bunch of classes before we got married... not sure how much more difficult it could have gotten. 

I replaced all the windows in my house myself :smile: 

Oh yeah... if enacted... can only imagine how a divorce will impact current inheritance / property transfer laws... lawyers will have a field day.

Edited by Joey G
added a few lines
  • Love it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Slim Jim said:

WHY NOT make the requirements for getting married more difficult than just making it easier to get divorced?... not just in the Philippines, but everywhere!

Maybe it can be handled just like the the required waiting period to buy a handgun (or rifle) in some States/Nations? There's even a Home Improvement business in the US (Home Depot) that requires a waiting period before committing to a contractor to come to your home to make improvements. The government doesn't want you to rush into buying gun(s) or a new door, new window(s), etc.

BUT

they see no reason(s) at all to have a waiting period for something that's just as serious (or even more serious) than committing to a lifetime of marriage?

We have such a system in the UK - Reading of the Banns.  Minimum 3 weeks needed for this.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

We have such a system in the UK - Reading of the Banns.  Minimum 3 weeks needed for this.

I wonder if I could have got my marriage cancelled on dodgy grounds, might have saved myself a fortune. When I went to do my banns I never realised the wating time and my wedding was only a couple of weeks away. Luckily the woman in the office took pity on me and sorted it out.  I wish she hadn't :hystery:

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...