Motorcycle

Canadian lumberjack
Posted
Posted

I’m wondering about the legal issues of renting and riding a motorcycle.

do I need a liscence? Will the police be stopping me?

regards

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Yes, the police sometimes stop you.  Oftentimes you will see them in advance and you can turn around or stop and wait for them to leave.  You will need a license for motorcycles if stopped, but a foreign license is fine if in English and clearly stating it is good for motorcycles.  There is little to no insurance available when renting a motorcycle so don't smash it up :cheersty:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Lumberjack. :wave:

Canadian lumberjack
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the reply!

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

Most motorbikes in the Philippines are full automatic (twist and go) scooters or semi-automatic underbones and most are 110cc or 125cc (luxury scooters are 150-160cc but most rentals won't be that big).

There are also a gradually decreasing number of 100cc and 125cc commuter motorbikes with conventional gearboxes (although some oddly have the gear pattern different to western 'big bikes').

The closest things to real motorbikes that are actually commonly used (and then mostly in rural areas) are the Honda XR150L and the Yamaha XT125 either of which would be my suggestion if you're looking for a motorbike rental (and not a scooter).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Thanks 1

Viking
Posted
Posted

Is it allowed to drive a motorbike, if you only have license for a car?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, Viking said:

Is it allowed to drive a motorbike, if you only have license for a car?

No. You must have a motorcycle endorsement shown on your license. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

No. You must have a motorcycle endorsement shown on your license. 

From what I read in Google seems to be if you have a Filipino driving licence it depends on your restriction codes on the back of your licence. This is what it says about a non pro licence. 

Limitations

Drivers with a non-professional license are entitled to operate the following:

Motorcycles/motorized tricycles (Restriction code 1)
Vehicles that weigh up to 4500kgs (Restriction code 2)
Vehicles equipped with an automatic clutch and weigh up to 4500kgs (Restriction code 4)

So do you have to apply for each code or is a non professional licence given with code 1 and 2?

Anyone have a Philippines licence? 

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

From what I read in Google seems to be if you have a Filipino driving licence it depends on your restriction codes on the back of your licence. This is what it says about a non pro licence. 

Limitations

Drivers with a non-professional license are entitled to operate the following:

Motorcycles/motorized tricycles (Restriction code 1)
Vehicles that weigh up to 4500kgs (Restriction code 2)
Vehicles equipped with an automatic clutch and weigh up to 4500kgs (Restriction code 4)

So do you have to apply for each code or is a non professional licence given with code 1 and 2?

Anyone have a Philippines licence? 

You have to apply for it.

When I got my first license they just asked if I wanted motorcycle too, and added it, but I got that one at the back door.  It was automatically kept when I renewed, but I doubt that it will be the same next time, with all the new rules.

• Like 1

Canadian lumberjack
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Most motorbikes in the Philippines are full automatic (twist and go) scooters or semi-automatic underbones and most are 110cc or 125cc (luxury scooters are 150-160cc but most rentals won't be that big).

There are also a gradually decreasing number of 100cc and 125cc commuter motorbikes with conventional gearboxes (although some oddly have the gear pattern different to western 'big bikes').

The closest things to real motorbikes that are actually commonly used (and then mostly in rural areas) are the Honda XR150L and the Yamaha XT125 either of which would be my suggestion if you're looking for a motorbike rental (and not a scooter).

Yes I’m aware of this thanks, I’ve ridden in Asia for 10 years, just not in PI

• Thanks 1