Perhaps travel ban comming to an end

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Do you have some stats for that? These stats are from a week ago.  Not quite as high but similar.  Google Israel.

I think like Israel, Olongapo has a high % of vax residents.  They have don a good job with their vax programs.

271669358_7104561816228420_1864786184774978392_n.jpg

Check the source of the article you have inserted.  Have they included the only 3 establishments supporting their cause, are there others with different numbers?  I don't know, I'm just asking.

As I've said before, I'm not here to get into debate on vax v anti-vax, life's too short.  Cut to the chase - in my opinion, being vaccinated offers me a better chance of avoiding ending up in hospital.  Others may have a different opinion.  That's cool.

Sorry, forgot to add this part.  I haven't included stats as I'm a believer in the theory that raw data is too easily manipulated but I have included an article which explains why we should take data with a pinch of salt.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/dec/07/blog-posting/article-misleads-dangers-omicron-variant-using-uk-/

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Check the source of the article you have inserted.  Have they included the only 3 establishments supporting their cause, are there others with different numbers?  I don't know, I'm just asking.

As I've said before, I'm not here to get into debate on vax v anti-vax, life's too short.  Cut to the chase - in my opinion, being vaccinated offers me a better chance of avoiding ending up in hospital.  Others may have a different opinion.  That's cool.

Sorry, forgot to add this part.  I haven't included stats as I'm a believer in the theory that raw data is too easily manipulated but I have included an article which explains why we should take data with a pinch of salt.

No worries, I was not trying to be argumentative; I really wondered if there was recent data showing unvaccinated getting the virus more than vaccinated.

The reason why is that 2-3-4 months ago, I think that was true.  Now, everything points to everyone getting it, vaccinated or not.  Hopefully, vaccinated have mild symptoms, but the jury is still out on that.

If our local mild cases are Omicron, I would be happy, as I think it would point to the beginning of the end of the pandemic.  :AddEmoticons04230:

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

No worries, I was not trying to be argumentative; I really wondered if there was recent data showing unvaccinated getting the virus more than vaccinated.

The reason why is that 2-3-4 months ago, I think that was true.  Now, everything points to everyone getting it, vaccinated or not.  Hopefully, vaccinated have mild symptoms, but the jury is still out on that.

If our local mild cases are Omicron, I would be happy, as I think it would point to the beginning of the end of the pandemic.  :AddEmoticons04230:

Cheers.

Without getting too deeply into something that doesn't really interest me all that much after 2 years, my perception (not backed by data but from reading a lot - not by choice as much as by accident) is that the vaxed are no more protected from getting Covid than those not NOWADAYS but are less likely to be more seriously ill than those not vaxed.   

If we apply nothing more than common sense (I know, I know) then why would a vaccination designed to attack a virus actually make us more vulnerable to it?  Sure, science can and does get it wrong, but that would be a spectacular fail from a lot of parties. 

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm a bit of a spotter and follow a few immunologists and virologists.  Like most things there's a lot of fake news out there and the anti vaxers tend to shout the loudest. Pretty much everyone I follow breaks it down to the vaccine was designed for the Alpha variant and was very good with that, proved pretty good for the Delta variant and getting by for Omicron.  It's certainly still very good at reducing hospital admissions ratio wise. Anti vaxers make it sound worse by quoting total numbers instead of per 100k of each category. 

This scientist is good at explaining a lot of the news out there and links where the data comes from instead of using anecdotal evidence. https://www.tiktok.com/@distilledscience/video/7051650455167913262?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc&web_id7029641576688567813

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

This scientist is good at explaining a lot of the news out there and links where the data comes from instead of using anecdotal evidence. https://www.tiktok.com/@distilledscience/video/7051650455167913262?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc&web_id7029641576688567813

Did I watch the same video that you did?  I can't follow that fast distorted talking and the graphics are not visible nor do they stay on the screen long enough to read.

graham59
Posted
Posted

Latest from the BI Facebook page today:

15 January 2021

PRESS RELEASE
Inbound passengers from red list OKd, general travel restrictions till in place –BI
MANILA, Philippines—The Bureau of Immigration announced that it will be allowing the entry of qualified travelers from red list countries.
In an advisory, BI Commissioner Jaime Morente said that following the updated guideline from the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID), the travel ban from passengers coming from red list countries has been lifted.
“This would mean that our kababayans who are in the red list countries may now fly back to the Philippines via commercial flights, without the need to join repatriation or bayanihan flights,” said Morente.
All arriving passengers are required to present a negative RT-PCR test taken within 48 hours prior to departure from country of origin, and are also subject to the testing and quarantine protocols as set by the IATF-MEID, and as implemented by the Bureau of Quarantine.
He added that RT-PCR tests taken 72 hours prior to departure, which was part of the previous protocol, shall be considered until 12:01 AM of January 19, 2022.
The IATF-MEID announced the updated red list countries which include: Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Canada, Curacao, French Guiana, Iceland, Malta, Mayotte, Mozambique, Puerto Rico, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Spain, and US Virgin Islands.
Meanwhile, included under the Green List are the following: Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, British Virgin Islands, China (Mainland), Cote d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast), Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Falkland Islands (Malvinas), The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Hong Kong (Chinese Special Administrative Region), India, Indonesia, Japan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Montserrat, Morocco, -----------, Oman, Pakistan, Paraguay, Saba (Special Municipality of the Kingdom of the Netherlands), Saint Barthelemy, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Sint Eustatius, Taiwan, Timor-Leste (East Timor), and Uganda.
All other countries not mentioned are under the yellow list.
Morente clarified that despite the lifting of the travel ban from the red list countries, the general travel restrictions are still in place.
“Currently, only Filipinos, balikbayan, and those with long term visas are allowed to enter the country,” said Morente. “Those holding tourist visas are still not permitted to enter,” he added.
The BI earlier said that it has been experiencing a surge in the number of immigration officers affected by the virus. “Thankfully most of the cases are either mild or asymptomatic,” said Morente. “We are hoping this surge passes soon, so that our services remain unhampered,” he added.
  • Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Did I watch the same video that you did?  I can't follow that fast distorted talking and the graphics are not visible nor do they stay on the screen long enough to read.

I watch it on my laptop and it's pretty clear, if the talking is too fast just pause the video as it has the script in the box. 

As for the travel ban I think they'll look for a reason to keep entry numbers into the Philippines until hospitalisation rates are well within manageable numbers. 

A quick Google will show some hospitals are currently at full capacity now. 

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 1/14/2022 at 2:25 PM, hk blues said:

A couple of thoughts -

First of all, the data is out of kilter with other places where the unvaccinated are more likely to fall ill with Covid thus take a test thus be found positive - I wonder why Olongapo is so dramatically out of line?  Or, is it such a small sample to be irrelevant.

Secondly, might it be the case that the unvaccinated have already had Covid thus have built up immunity?  

Well most of the tested are workers so they would have been vaccinated, so it kind of makes sense that most of the cases are found in vaccinated people.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 1/15/2022 at 6:27 PM, Snowy79 said:

Like most things there's a lot of fake news

Yes there was a story that in a  Cebu ( I think it was there) hospital all the ICU beds were taken and people were queing outside to get in, it showed a photo of a long queue outside the hospital. It was later explained that there were only 2 beds taken and the queue was people waiting for there test results who were not allowed to leave until they got the results. Now maybe even that was fake news. The media has a lot to answer for I hope some body takes them to task but that might be too close to taking away freedom of the press.

Edited by sonjack2847
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

Yes there was a story that in a  Cebu ( I think it was there) hospital all the ICU beds were taken and people were queing outside to get in, it showed a photo of a long queue outside the hospital. It was later explained that there were only 2 beds taken and the queue was people waiting for there test results who were not allowed to leave until they got the results. Now maybe even that was fake news. The media has a lot to answer for I hope some body takes them to task but that might be too close to taking away freedom of the press.

Definitely fake news and from many months ago.

• Like 4