Fishing

Canadian lumberjack
Posted
Posted

As a Canadian. I love to fish. I am curious as to the availability of good shore casting? Not so much in a boat unless it is not expensive.

regards

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

This question comes up once in awhile. Never been a clear answer of a place to fish. Just like here in my home the good fishing spots are closely held secrets until enough beers are had.

Yes you may fish in Philippines. I don't remember anyone finding a reliable source for a license or rules.

To hire a small boat and experienced fisherman for the day would not cost much.

It's said you can fish from the shore in Naga City Cebu. Don't remember who told me that.

BUT.....

There is a law that states "No public official, not even the President, has “the authority to grant foreigners fishing rights” in the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone (EEZ). exclusively to Filipino citizens.”Jul 24, 2019."

This law has to do with the ccp Chinese fishing in Philippines traditional fishing grounds EEZ. This statement is well known to Filipinos. It could be you would have Filipinos getting into your face about it pertaining to any location in Philippines.

A PADI instructor I dived with often had a story. He and his partner took several grooper spear fishing on a dive and once they got to shore some locals were angry. I know of another Foreigner on Bantayan Island who goes snorkeling with two Filipino buddies spear fishing all the time no worries. 

Most likely you will have some curious friendly Filipinos watching asking questions and sharing stories. 

• Like 4

graham59
Posted
Posted

A day out will be a fraction of the cost back home...as with most things here. Perhaps share the catch with the boatman ? 

Keep a low profile and don't 'show off' to the locals. Be humble and friendly, and you will find a lot of equally friendly fishermen . That's my eperience anyway. 

• Like 5

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I don't go fishing in the Philippines (even though I enjoy fishing) because some locals see it as stealing their food or income and I try to keep a low profile and avoid annoying the locals.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Some people still use this method but illegal 

dynamite.jpg

Also there are fishing bans for 3 months every year in some areas so check first. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Canadian lumberjack said:

availability of good shore casting?

The trick would be to find a shore casting area that is not heavily polluted. We live near manila bay. Miles and Miles of sea wall, perfect for casting. In ten years I have never seen a fisherman. 

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Just give me a net and a river.  :thumbsup:

me fishing in phils.jpg

• Like 3

Balisidar
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 1/15/2022 at 10:16 AM, graham59 said:

A day out will be a fraction of the cost back home...as with most things here. Perhaps share the catch with the boatman ? 

Keep a low profile and don't 'show off' to the locals. Be humble and friendly, and you will find a lot of equally friendly fishermen . That's my eperience anyway. 

I've been fishing here in the Philippines many times in many places.  Just recently close to home in Batangas.  Never been shore fishing as the kind of fish I prefer are deeper water fish like grouper (Lapu-Lapu) or fish like tuna, giant mackerel (Tanigue), barracuda etc.

General advice is to find a nice fisherman and ask him to take you.  Let him know what fish you're looking for.  I recently paid 500 pesos for about six hours or so.  General consensus here is the fish caught for the most part belong to the bangka boat fisherman that takes you out.  I usually keep one or two, depending on how many were caught with no problems.  More than that I pay for.

That's the usual guidance even if you go on a professional charter boat like in Zambales or Siargao. 

And as usual good advice from Graham😀

Edited by Balisidar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
greggw2gs
Posted
Posted

Thanks you for all the fishing wisdom