Forming a corporation to buy land

Toby Ryan
Posted
Posted

Some time ago I bought land in Phil in the name of a local (and so far, so good).  I am thinking now of forming a corporation (60% owned by Filipinos - but with limited input).  Does anyone have experience with this and possibly know a reliable lawyer to set up a safe corporation?

Thanks,

Cheers,

Toby

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have seen it done.  It is legal so long as it is not challenged.  If challenged by a Filipino, the judge will usually say the corporation was formed to skirt the land ownership rules and will rule in favor of the challenger.  There could also be jail time but I do not know anyone who got jail.  Read more here

https://attorney.org.ph/legal-news/252-the-philippine-anti-dummy-law

Spoiler

­The Philippine Anti-Dummy Law

Last updated: 20 February 2017 08:44

Created: 20 February 2017 08:25

A couple of friends recently told me how their very clever Philippine attorney got around the Philippine rule that non-Philippine citizens can not own real estate in the Philippines by forming a Philippine corporation. The corporation buys the property, then they use a variety of documents to avoid the 40/60 rule that limits non-citizens equity ownership to 40 percent. This all sounds very nice, but, my question to them, did their attorney discuss the Philippine Anti-Dummy Law with you?

Their question to me, what is the Anti-Dummy Law? My answer, good question. The Anti-Dummy Law is a law created to penalize those who violate foreign equity restrictions and evade nationalization laws of the Philippines. The Anti-Dummy Law prohibits dummy, or using what I call a proxy arrangement to accomplish a transaction not allowed under Philippine law. 

To get around the Philippine land ownership rules for example, non-citizens may arrange for a Filipino citizen to purchase land and register the land title to the Filipino citizen’s name, but with the agreement that the whole right to the land belongs to the foreigner. In this case, the Filipino citizen is the “proxy,” thus the “dummy arrangement.” Another common approach, is to create a corporation. The problem with using a corporation to avoid the land restrictions rules, is the 40-60 ratio that applies (40% foreign ownership, 60% Filipino ownership). Therefore a variety of side agreements are used to keep control of the corporation in the hands of the foreigner.

Again, The Anti-Dummy Law prohibits an arrangement usually done by a foreigner to evade nationality restrictions. If you’re caught violating the Anti-Dummy Law, you can receive a jail sentence for up to 5-15 years or receive a hefty fine. Non-Citizens and Filipino citizens who engaged in the dummy arrangement will both be held liable. 

This is only a limited overview of the broad reaching Anti- Dummy Law. If you are setting up a business or acquiring real property in the Philippines, you need to be aware of how the anti-dummy rules may be applied to the way the transaction is being structured. If you don’t want your dream business or property investment in the Philippines to turn into a legal nightmare. 

Now, my friends have assured me after talking to their attorney, there is nothing to worry about. The anti- dummy rules are not being enforced. However, the law is on the books for a reason. Therefore, this does not mean that the law will be enforced in the future. Should this happen, and you run afoul of the Anti- Dummy Law, it is you, not your attorney or friends that told you that it is okay to violate Philippine law, who is on the legal hook.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Welcome Toby.:thumbsup:  Do be careful as I know there are attorney willing to advise you how to form a corporation that you as an individual actually control.  As Dave mentioned above this is "an effort to circumvent the law" and found to be illegal by the courts.  

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, jimeve said:

Bite the bullet and get married like the rest of us. :shock_40_anim_gif:

Laughing so hard I can hardly type.  :hystery::hystery::hystery:

• Haha 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, jimeve said:

Bite the bullet and get married like the rest of us. 

Or , having learnt the lesson, get single thereafter and have the best time of your life. Strokes and folks..... etc....

• Like 2

baronapart
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife put "Wife of 'baronapart's real name' on the title to the land 'we' bought to lull me into a false sense of security))))

To the OP the standard advice applies. Be careful and don't invest more than you can afford to lose.

Edited by baronapart
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 2/5/2022 at 12:37 PM, jimeve said:

Bite the bullet and get married like the rest of us. :shock_40_anim_gif:

There are alternative

routes