Taipei as a hub?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Some airfare specials on the horizon using Taipei as a hub and flying EVA air.  Anyone had experience with them?

Specifically, what additional covid measures might I have to take?  What is EVA air like? What is the Taipei terminal like for transfers?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

As you know Taipei remains closed to transit. It's estimated this will open sometime in March according to my wife. 

We've flown EVA to CEB through Taipei hub many times. I like EVA the service, food and aircraft are quite good. 

Taipei terminal is large but well laid out and a pleasant environment for an air terminal. Transfers in our cases were not difficult no extreme distances to walk. There is a nice shower facility we've used a few times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Old55 said:

As you know Taipei remains closed to transit.

I did not know that.  A search of flights shows the following information, but it is in March:  (Dang it.  The ones in March are gone.  Sold out or cancelled I don't know.  But they looked like this:)

temp.jpg

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

EVA is selling tickets (as you know) anticipating an expected opening late March. Taiwan has said they expect opening late March. 

We are holding off buying tickets until early April as other airlines should have flights and prices hopefully be more reasonable. 

As far as I know the only sure thing today is Singapore Air or PAL. PAL is a deal breaker for us. 

The idea of flying all the way to Singapore then CEB is daunting but you can fly directly out of Vancouver so it's a viable choice for you.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

bob1965
Posted
Posted

Eva is my preferred airline for Asia. 
I’ve had bad luck with cathay, late leaving and missing connections on more than one occasion. China eastern were cheap, but that’s their only positive. Air canada/aseana were pretty good.

but eva just all round was good. Taipei is a well laid out airport. Stuff to see, restaurants are ok. Good lounge if you have access. Once stuffs fully reopened, I’ve heard the have a free city tour for longer connections.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

What is EVA air like?

Love Eva air and the Taipei airport is very nice.

For what its worth, just before the lockdowns we had scheduled a flight to the states that was canceled. We got a complete refund and getting it was relatively painless if memory serves, maybe 2 phone calls and 10 days before we got our money back.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Old55 said:

The idea of flying all the way to Singapore then CEB is daunting but guys can fly directly out of Vancouver so it's a viable choice for you.

They direct YVR to SIN?  For LAX, they stop in NRT.  I haven't check SFO.

I have flown EVA twice, I think, and both times I flew Premium Economy.  That was 20 years ago and the Premium Economy on EVA was hardly more than Economy.  Great deal.  The last time I checked, not cheap anymore.

I have been watching MNL/LAX and CRK/LAX.  So far, the cheapest for my family of 5 is 5-6 k, and sometimes those are one airline on the way and a second airline on the way back.

My friend flew UA, MNL/GUM/HNL/SFO in early January.  Got to Guam and all the UA pilots called in sick.  Luckily, he was able to reroute to NRT and it only added a few hours to his total time.

That UA MNL/GUM/HNL/LAXorSFO flight is popping up as the cheapest sometimes.  I wonder if we could layover in Hawaii for a week?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

They direct YVR to SIN?  For LAX, they stop in NRT.  I haven't check SFO.

I have flown EVA twice, I think, and both times I flew Premium Economy.  That was 20 years ago and the Premium Economy on EVA was hardly more than Economy.  Great deal.  The last time I checked, not cheap anymore.

I have been watching MNL/LAX and CRK/LAX.  So far, the cheapest for my family of 5 is 5-6 k, and sometimes those are one airline on the way and a second airline on the way back.

My friend flew UA, MNL/GUM/HNL/SFO in early January.  Got to Guam and all the UA pilots called in sick.  Luckily, he was able to reroute to NRT and it only added a few hours to his total time.

That UA MNL/GUM/HNL/LAXorSFO flight is popping up as the cheapest sometimes.  I wonder if we could layover in Hawaii for a week?

Yes Don there is a 20 hour direct flight from YVR to SIN. We've been eyeing that.

Talk to a travel agent. You can have an extended layover or multiple stops they call it? We've done it for Hong Kong five or six years ago the additional cost was ~$50.00 USD each I think?

We may do a extended layover in Taipei this summer only if the ccp virus is under control by then. I was stationed in Taipei in the early 70's for two years. Good memories but am sure nothing I remember remains today. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

Yes Don there is a 20 hour direct flight from YVR to SIN.

Come on . . its under 17 hours on the long way and under 15 hours back with a tail wind. . . . And cheap when its on sale.  As mentioned before, the catch is getting from SIN to CEBU.  Crazy prices for Scoot in March.

temp.jpg

• Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

Yes Don there is a 20 hour direct flight from YVR to SIN. We've been eyeing that.

I thought that was a bit high so I looked it up.  16:50.  We (cargo biz) used to use SQ LAX/SIN direct when it first started, and they could not take much cargo at all going into the headwinds most of the year.

Some of the YVR flights are stopping in SEA or SFO.  Probably part of Covid flight reductions.  I wish something would work out so we could use SQ Clark to LAX.

• Like 1