Cebu to accept both vaxxed, unvaxxed foreign travelers

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

So who is running this covid thing now? Can Gwen have her own border rules or was this already in the planning?

FROM Thursday, Feb. 10, 2022, Cebu province will accept foreign travelers, whether from non-visa-required or visa-required countries, as approved under Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases Resolution 160-B issued last week.

And from March, it will also admit unvaccinated foreign nationals, according to Executive Order (EO) 3, series of 2022 issued by Cebu Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia on Wednesday, Feb. 9, 2022.

This is a way to gradually revive the tourism industry in the country and the fortunes of the local government units which have been severely affected by the ongoing coronavirus disease (Covid-19) pandemic.

Garcia’s EO 3 contains the rules to be followed by those who wish to visit and explore Cebu.

For foreigners from non-visa-required countries who are fully vaccinated against Covid-19, they need to present a vaccination card or proof of vaccination against Covid-19 permitted by the IATF, and a negative RT-PCR (reverse transcription–polymerase chain reaction) test taken within 48 hours prior to the date and time of departure from the country of origin or first port of embarkation in a continuous travel to the Philippines, provided they did not leave the airport premises or were not admitted into another country during layovers.

Proof of vaccination must be presented prior to departure from the country of origin, as well as on arrival in Cebu.

They must also have “valid tickets for their return journey to the port of origin or next port of destination not later than 30 days from date of arrival in the Philippines” and travel insurance for Covid-19 treatment costs for a coverage of at least US$35,000 for the duration of their stay in the country.

They will not undergo facility-based quarantine in Cebu but will just self-monitor for symptoms for seven days.

Nationals from 157 countries may be admitted into the Philippines without a visa for an initial stay of 30 days, according to the Bureau of Immigration.

These countries include Canada, Japan, Singapore, USA, New Zealand, Malaysia and South Korea.

Visa required

For vaccinated foreign nationals from visa-required countries, they need to present the Entry Exemption Document issued under IATF regulations, in addition to presenting proof of vaccination, a negative RT-PCR test taken within 48 hours prior to the date and time of departure from the country of origin or first port of embarkation in a continuous travel to the Philippines.

They also will not undergo facility-based quarantine but will self-monitor for symptoms for seven days.

If they experience symptoms of Covid-19, tourists are instructed to inform the management of the hotel or resort in which they are billeted so that the local government unit (LGU) may also be informed.

At that point, the foreigner must be subjected to a rapid antigen test or an RT-PCR test.

If he tests positive in the Covid test, he must isolate and strictly follow health and quarantine protocols.

If it is necessary to take the foreigner to an isolation facility or hospital, the LGU is tasked to coordinate with the Department of Health for the patient’s referral.

Unvaccinated

Starting March 1, unvaccinated and partially vaccinated, or foreign nationals whose vaccination status cannot be independently determined can enter the Cebu airport only if they present a negative RT-PCR test taken within 48 hours before departing from their country of origin.

Such passengers will be subjected to a swab test on arrival.

They are also required to observe quarantine in a facility until the release of the result of their second RT-PCR test taken on the fifth day of their quarantine.

Such individuals are encouraged to get vaccinated against Covid-19 during their stay in Cebu.

For this purpose, the Department of Health Central Visayas (DOH 7) will make available the single-dose Janssen (Johnson and Johnson) vaccine for unvaccinated foreign nationals. It is free and there is no charge for getting vaccinated.

The Cebu Provincial Government first met with consul generals of Japan, Korea and China, officials of the Department of Tourism, tour operators, and representatives of the DOH 7, and the Mactan-Cebu International Airport prior to the issuance of EO 3, to come up with a unified approach to the entry of tourists to Cebu Province.

https://ph.news.yahoo.com/cebu-accept-both-vaxxed-unvaxxed-153200284.html

...........................................................................................................................................................

IATF to tackle Cebu policy on unvaxxed foreign travelers

The Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases will discuss the new policy of Cebu to accept foreign nationals to the province regardless of their vaccination, Malacañang said.

“This is something na pag-uusapan namin sa IATF,” acting presidential spokesperson Karlo Nograles said during a Laging Handa public briefing Thursday.

On Wednesday, Governor Gwen Garcia issued an executive order allowing unvaccinated tourists to enter Cebu starting March 1.

Foreign nationals, however, must present a negative RT-PCR test taken within 48 hours prior to departure from the country of origin; undergo swab testing upon arrival at the Mactan-Cebu International Airport; and observe facility-based quarantine until the release of their RT-PCR test result taken on the fifth day.

At present, only fully vaccinated foreign nationals, traveling for business and tourism purposes, may enter the country.

https://politics.com.ph/iatf-to-tackle-cebu-policy-on-unvaxxed-foreign-travelers/

• Haha 1
  • I'm Confused 2
  • Hmm thinking 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

As far as Governor Gwen flexing her powers against Manila, I am still trying to figure out if Prez DuT will allow international flights to fly into Cebu.  I remember there was a time he diverted all arriving international flights to Manila because he did not like Gwen's policy.  I now notice there are still very few international arrivals and departures on the Mactan flight schedule.

I am not thrilled with the thought of entering through Manila and then flying to Cebu.  I would rather pay extra and fly internationally direct to Cebu.  Has anyone seen any news about Mactan getting more international flights?

• Like 2

Joey G
Posted
Posted

We usually take Qatar Airways... it's longer because you go through Doha... but they do have flights from Doha to Cebu. Prices aren't that bad.  Puddle jump to Seattle... and one stop in Doha. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

If Cebu were to allow in unvaxed tourists, what would prevent any other island with an international airport from doing the same.   I think Duterte is about to knock down Garcia a peg or two and he would be justified in my opinion.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

It might have a little to do with a certain election coming up. The IATF have all the power but if they stamp her down she has already won a few votes.

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Funny how things translate back overseas... here in the US... just now on Fox News 6PM national broadcast they had a clip on how the Philippines has opened up and welcoming all visitors... of course no mention of anything else... so, I'm sure there are thousands++  planning a trip as I type :6:

• Haha 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted (edited)

Gwen seems to have been proactive practical and protective of the tourist industry and from my discussions with a few folks involved in tourism in the places Ive visited in past 2 years, Bantayan 3 times, Moalboal , Oslob, Malapascua ,all seem to rate her very highly.

The fact that the federal l govt doesnt care for her.....she probably shrugs and " wala akong pakialam".

At least shes trying .

Her, Sen de Lima, Judge Sereno.....all tough intelligent women the kind that the soon to finish President seems to be scared of.

Edited by Freebie
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
On 2/10/2022 at 12:08 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

As far as Governor Gwen flexing her powers against Manila, I am still trying to figure out if Prez DuT will allow international flights to fly into Cebu.  I remember there was a time he diverted all arriving international flights to Manila because he did not like Gwen's policy.  I now notice there are still very few international arrivals and departures on the Mactan flight schedule.

I am not thrilled with the thought of entering through Manila and then flying to Cebu.  I would rather pay extra and fly internationally direct to Cebu.  Has anyone seen any news about Mactan getting more international flights?

Direct international flights to Cebu are already being canceled. We had PAL tickets LAX to CEB and they were canceled last week. We are being forced to go through Manila to get to Cebu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

17 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Direct international flights to Cebu are already being canceled. We had PAL tickets LAX to CEB and they were canceled last week. We are being forced to go through Manila to get to Cebu.

Actually the last PAL direct LAX-CEB flight was 29 December. PAL changed all the LAX-CEB flights to LAX-MNL in January and February. Other international airlines are still flying in to Cebu... at least for now.