Good Motorcycle Insurance?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Heeb said:

I hope to still be riding motorcycles when I'm 70.

Several years back I made myself a promise that I would stop riding when/if I reached 70.  I am still riding and will be 72 in May.  I enjoy riding, much prefer it to driving, but I do feel I am getting close to giving it up.  Older minds and bodies just do not respond the way our younger selves did.

• Like 5

sinsinbad
Posted
Posted

Heeb, I hope you are riding at 70 too.  I will be 76 later this year and have been riding over 55 years.

I am fully aware of riding in the Philippines.  Between 2005-2013, I lived off and on there for over 5 years.  I always owned and rode a motorcycle almost daily.

I lived in Olongapo/Subic, Dumaguete, and Angeles.  As well as travelling many other places.

That is why I am not worried about riding there or myself.  I worry about getting blamed for an accident whether it was my fault or not.

That is why I want the best insurance with the highest coverage I can get.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sinsinbad said:

Between 2005-2013, I lived off and on there for over 5 years.  I always owned and rode a motorcycle almost daily.

After that much riding, you are probably more aware of the pitiful insurance coverage for motorcycles than the average forum member. Did you expect that insurance would somehow be better now?

sinsinbad
Posted
Posted

I left almost 9 years ago, and when I was there, I didn't think about insurance.  So, I never looked into it before.

Now that I will be returning to retire and live there full time, I thought that I should learn more about it.  No, I don't expect much, but I am sure some companies are better than others, and that is why I am asking.

• Like 2

Heeb
Posted
Posted
On 2/14/2022 at 11:41 AM, sinsinbad said:

Heeb, I hope you are riding at 70 too.  I will be 76 later this year and have been riding over 55 years.

I am fully aware of riding in the Philippines.  Between 2005-2013, I lived off and on there for over 5 years.  I always owned and rode a motorcycle almost daily.

I lived in Olongapo/Subic, Dumaguete, and Angeles.  As well as travelling many other places.

That is why I am not worried about riding there or myself.  I worry about getting blamed for an accident whether it was my fault or not.

That is why I want the best insurance with the highest coverage I can get.

I love riding over there, the chaos keeps me on my guard and the challenge makes riding fun again.

• Haha 2

• 3 months later...
Colsie
Posted
Posted
On 2/11/2022 at 1:02 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

I had a tricycle driver hit me once, when I was going slow on my scooter.  Every Filipino for miles said they saw it and it was the foreigner's fault (that'd be me).  I asked my gf to go find out what it was gonna cost me and she came back and took 500 pesos to give to the trike driver.  He smiled.  He knew he was the one at fault.  I just bit my tongue and smiled back.  That was much cheaper than any alternative.

Of course it was your fault, if you weren't in the Philippines it wouldn't have happened :89:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• 4 weeks later...
CebuAndy
Posted
Posted (edited)

I second the previous post. As a foreigner you most likely will be blamed anyway, so the insurance in real life might not be worth the ink on the paper.

Asian logic always apply. Do yourself a favor and forget all about our western logic etc, if living in Ph.

Observe the traffic picture from the safety inside a taxi for a month, then deside if riding is for you or not.

A friend had accident in Cebu when I lived there. The other native driver was drunk as a skunk and rear ended my friend, but because the native ended up in hospital for days, and my friend didn't,  extended family with assistanse of the boys in blue, demanded that he paid for the hospital anyway.

The accident happen only because the foreigner was in the country they said. I remember my friend called all people he knew for advice and assistance. In the end he was out of the country within 2 days, never to be seen again.

I find traffic in Cebu to be a breeze and safe, compared with Thailand where all drivers are full throttle, and 1 of 5 don't have a lisence. While I normally would complain about slow moving traffic in Cebu and province, that's whats make it safer imo. Had 3 'big motorcycles' while I lived there, never had a accident or a near miss. So my own conclusion is that I don't waste say 3,000 peso for a insurance that likely would be ignored. YMMW of course.

Edited by CebuAndy
  • Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
On 6/8/2022 at 6:17 PM, Colsie said:

Of course it was your fault, if you weren't in the Philippines it wouldn't have happened :89:

Phillogic at its best :bonk:

• Haha 2

Colsie
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, CebuAndy said:

I second the previous post. As a foreigner you most likely will be blamed anyway, so the insurance in real life might not be worth the ink on the paper.

Asian logic always apply. Do yourself a favor and forget all about our western logic etc, if living in Ph.

Observe the traffic picture from the safety inside a taxi for a month, then deside if riding is for you or not.

A friend had accident in Cebu when I lived there. The other native driver was drunk as a skunk and rear ended my friend, but because the native ended up in hospital for days, and my friend didn't,  extended family with assistanse of the boys in blue, demanded that he paid for the hospital anyway.

The accident happen only because the foreigner was in the country they said. I remember my friend called all people he knew for advice and assistance. In the end he was out of the country within 2 days, never to be seen again.

I find traffic in Cebu to be a breeze and safe, compared with Thailand where all drivers are full throttle, and 1 of 5 don't have a lisence. While I normally would complain about slow moving traffic in Cebu and province, that's whats make it safer imo. Had 3 'big motorcycles' while I lived there, never had a accident or a near miss. So my own conclusion is that I don't waste say 3,000 peso for a insurance that likely would be ignored. YMMW of course.

My friends wife is Thai and one day she was heading out of the house to go get a Thai driving license because it was the King's birthday or something. They give out a certain amount of free driving licenses to Thai's on occasions like that. 

Here in the Philippines, I think motor insurence is a legality and usually purchased before the yearly vehicle registration at the LTO 

Viking
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Colsie said:

My friends wife is Thai and one day she was heading out of the house to go get a Thai driving license because it was the King's birthday or something. They give out a certain amount of free driving licenses to Thai's on occasions like that. 

That sounds like a great idea, 🤪

• Like 1