Coronavirus lockdowns and overstays

miguel britain
Posted
Posted

Ok here is the deal, I was set to travel back to Thailand to work 2 weeks before Corona caused all the lockdowns etc. Unfortunately didnt get to book anything. So here i am 2 years later trapped in the Philippines married to a Filippina but not living together as i needed money and work and where i was living in Visayas there was none. So here I am in Baguio working for minimum wage to have a roof over my head and money for food. I am now 2 years overstay as I could not travel out of Visayas till i had vaccines and because of constant lockdown. Now immigration want to fine me ridiculous amounts of money for overstay. Anyone had a similar problems and are there any solutions? I need help here I,m slowly drowning.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Have you talked to BI yet Miguel? That would be the first step. 

Be sure you can access your emergency back up exit plan money when you meet BI

Let us know how it shakes out and good luck. 

• Like 5

miguel britain
Posted
Posted

Immigration wont help they just want money i refuse to pay for the covid pandemic which is not my fault

miguel britain
Posted
Posted

it doesnt help that all my money has been spent on surviving the last 2 years

miguel britain
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, scott h said:

You last resort would be your Embassy. 

My brother works for the US state department, the Australians are probably pretty much the same.

The embassy will do everything in their power to put you in contact with relatives and friends back home to wire you the money, they will keep throwing obstacles in your way such as...."doesnt your ex wifes brother in law work in sydney,,,,cant you barrow money from him?"

Once they are convinced that you really have no means of borrowing money from ANYWHERE!, they will get you an economy class ticket back home. But I doubt they will fly you to Thailand.

Again, this is how the US embassy works

good luck

My embassy wont help me because I dont have an Australian bank account as I have not lived there for over 20 years.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Sorry to say but they have you over a barrel. In theory you fill in a motion of consideration to extend.  There was certain leeway if you had only overstayed for under one year but with the sound of things they've given you their final answer.

Realistically the motion is meant to cost between 15k and 25k peso plus the outstanding visa fees and 500 peso per month. Probably looking at about 60k peso minimum plus produce an exit flight ticket. They could even cart you off to Bictuan detention centre prior to departure which with no money could be a long time. 

I was quoted a definite extension of two months for 17k peso and at the time I had 14 days left on my visa before the 36 months was up. 

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Unless you've got relatives or friends to help you pay the fine and fees then you're up shit creek without a paddle, sorry miguel.

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, miguel britain said:

My embassy wont help me because I dont have an Australian bank account as I have not lived there for over 20 years.

It doesn't matter whether you have a bank account or not, if you have an Australian passport current they will work something out, you must have been on Centrelink/pension or someway to earn money. Did you have a work visa or tried to fly under the radar, if you had no visa to work, do what Jeoffh said, fashion a paddle because your up the creek.:4617: