VPN’S

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Quite a few mention using VPN for Netflix.  Netflix has been available in the Philippines for quite awhile, no VPN required.

But the content varies from country to country, mainly due to licencing in particular regions.  A VPN allows you to connect to any country with a server and watch that country's content.

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mike J said:

Quite a few mention using VPN for Netflix.  Netflix has been available in the Philippines for quite awhile, no VPN required.

Both Netflix and Amazon Prime are available in the Philippines but the content is watered down big time for both. On Netflix you won't even see the programs your not getting but on Prime you will, however when you try to view it will say "not available in your region"

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, hk blues said:

The default password is available online for my modem but it didn't work so I assume the Globe Engineer overwrote it.  Maybe their policy is to have the same password for all modems for convenience sake?  Just guessing.  

When Sky installed they asked the GF what password she wanted. Anyway the only thing I do once inside the settings is change the SSID name to whatever we like.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

When Sky installed they asked the GF what password she wanted. Anyway the only thing I do once inside the settings is change the SSID name to whatever we like.

Yep, and with our old modem that worked fine but not with the all singing, all dancing one we now have.

To be fair, I know I can call my Globe tech buddy and get the password, or at least get him to do what I need to be done but as I don't have/ need a VPN there is no real need to.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Peaceful John said:

To my simple knowledge Freebie, there are 2 key steps.  First, make sure your VPN is on your router.  

As far as I understand, this is only for convenience so that all devices connected to the modem will be connected to the VPN. You can also set up each device with the VPN individually. That would work for me as I'd only need it for Netflix on my smart tv. I could download the VPN from Play Store directly to my smart TV as it's Android. This would negate the need for me to get the router password. 

Youngster
Posted
Posted
On 2/25/2022 at 5:32 PM, hk blues said:

Do you guys set your VPN up on your router or PC or Smart TV?  As I understand it, it may be difficult to set up on a router if it's a Globe or PLDT for example as we don't have access to the password etc.  

I don't use (need) a VPN presently but who knows in the future.

I use Linksys WRT3200ACM loaded with ExpressVPN to get around the 5 devices limit.

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Youngster said:

I use Linksys WRT3200ACM loaded with ExpressVPN to get around the 5 devices limit.

Thank You.

However, our modem/router is provided by Globe.  Regardless, we would only need1, maybe 2, devices (Smart TV and 1 smartphone).  Even more regardless, i don't actually use or need a VPN! :smile:

Youngster
Posted
Posted
On 2/28/2022 at 1:49 PM, hk blues said:

Thank You.

However, our modem/router is provided by Globe.  Regardless, we would only need1, maybe 2, devices (Smart TV and 1 smartphone).  Even more regardless, i don't actually use or need a VPN! :smile:

My Linksys router is connected to one of the ports in the Huawei modem/router provided by Converge, so I have the option of connecting wirelessly to either router, one with VPN and one without.  Like the other posters, I mostly use it for banking and streaming services.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Youngster said:

My Linksys router is connected to one of the ports in the Huawei modem/router provided by Converge, so I have the option of connecting wirelessly to either router, one with VPN and one without.  Like the other posters, I mostly use it for banking and streaming services.

Gotcha - thanks for explaining.

I haven't looked too much into this as I don't have any need for a VPN - It's bad enough watching Love Island / Too Hot to Handle / Beverly Hills Housewives etc etc that are available on Netflix Philippines so doubt I want to expand "her" choices too much beyond that!  

• Haha 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

For those who want a VPN for little things like buying a lotto ticket from their own country when its restricted to country only or banking etc I found a chrome extension that is fast with no restrictions or ads. I was using a free vpn on my phone but lately it is either hit or miss when trying to load so went searching to use on desktop.

The DewVPN is free and fast. I have no idea if it can be used for things like Netflix but does what I need.

vpn2.PNG

• Like 1