Cataract surgery

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Any info about cataract surgery is most welcome, I have a cataract in my right eye and not sure where to have it done, been told NOT to have it done in the Ph from a friends friend he went blind,

that put me right off. I could go back to the UK and have it done free but may have to be put on a waiting list, how long for, who knows.

Also the NHS don't allow Expats to have free NHS treatment, so I may have to pay anyway.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Any info about cataract surgery is most welcome

Thailand has become renowned for medical tourism and I would consider it, were I you.  Any info I could suggest can be found on Google so take a look.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)

An American expat I know had cataract surgery here in the PH about a year or so ago.  He was very pleased with the care and the results.  I have reached out to him and will post what he has to say. 

Doctors Hospital in Cebu City

Doctor Larazabal

Cost was approximately $4000 (US dollars) for both eyes.  May be a bit less now that the dollar to peso exchange rate has improved?

Both lenses were "multifocal" so he can see fine both distant and close so no need for reading glasses.  

Vision now 20/20 in both eyes.

Very pleased with the doctor, the treatment, and the results.

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Possum
Posted
Posted

Rutnin Eye Hospital in Bangkok is very good from what I am told.

Also, Bumrungrad in Bangkok is also excellent in my experience. World class.

https://www.rutnin.com/en/home/

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

An American expat I know had cataract surgery here in the PH about a year or so ago.  He was very pleased with the care and the results.  I have reached out to him and will post what he has to say. 

How old was he?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

How old was he?

Not sure, but I would guess early to mid 60s based on appearance. 

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Cataract surgery is a simple procedure and it's done on a regular basis in third world countries with simple equipment and I too would have no hesitation having it done in the Philippines.

For example... The Fred Hollows Foundation which works in 25 countries including the Philippines restoring sight to those who cannot otherwise afford medical care.

https://www.hollows.org/au/about-fred

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Relevant but not directly, my MIL just had her eyes operated on for glaucoma about 3 weeks ago.  Cost was $3,000 and everything went smoothly. She is in her 60s and was delighted with the whole procedure. 

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about getting such routine procedures done here.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1