How much for land

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Lots of great advice here, Steve. I add my opinion that it would be best to do boots on the ground to take a look and also check the - often dubious - paperwork involved... If it sounds too good to be true.....and all that. Good luck with this venture and I hope it works out for you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Lots of great advice here, Steve. I add my opinion that it would be best to do boots on the ground to take a look and also check the - often dubious - paperwork involved... If it sounds too good to be true.....and all that. Good luck with this venture and I hope it works out for you.

Where have you been Tommy T and how's the house going.

• Like 4

Clermont
Posted
Posted

The wife just bought her son a new house in a subdivision, of coarse Foreigners don't know how the PI trades men do things so keep out of it.  Well I did and after cementing the front walkway, it had to be dug up major water leak, the plumber didn't glue a main elbow join together, in the bathroom the builder didn't put the washer in the join for the shower. The outer roof of the kitchen not waterproofed nor the downstairs second coat of paint put on. The rest by skype looks to be okay, the wife and stepson are peeved off that someone would do that to them after they negotiated a package deal. Me I'm silently laughing and although I could say I told you so, I think they have learnt a valuable lesson, the builder run out of money and wanted more to finish it off.

A lesson here for all, it doesn't matter what country your in, tradesmen aren't of old and you have to be on the ball when checking their work out. I haven't been ask to foot the bill but I've just been asked if I want smoko, that's a sure sign I'm in the firing line. :cheersty:

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Clermont said:

The wife just bought her son a new house in a subdivision, of coarse Foreigners don't know how the PI trades men do things so keep out of it.  Well I did and after cementing the front walkway, it had to be dug up major water leak, the plumber didn't glue a main elbow join together, in the bathroom the builder didn't put the washer in the join for the shower. The outer roof of the kitchen not waterproofed nor the downstairs second coat of paint put on. The rest by skype looks to be okay, the wife and stepson are peeved off that someone would do that to them after they negotiated a package deal. Me I'm silently laughing and although I could say I told you so, I think they have learnt a valuable lesson, the builder run out of money and wanted more to finish it off.

A lesson here for all, it doesn't matter what country your in, tradesmen aren't of old and you have to be on the ball when checking their work out. I haven't been ask to foot the bill but I've just been asked if I want smoko, that's a sure sign I'm in the firing line. :cheersty:

I'm sure we've all been there!

My M.O. now is to be picky with the contractor on the 1st couple of days and sound like I know at least a little.  This kind of sets the tone for the rest of the job.  Sure, it brings with it some risk but the alternative brings way more IMO.

• Like 3

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

When I was giving the plumber advice on where he was going wrong, he walked off the job never to be seen again. The thing was I knew what I was talking about.

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 4/8/2022 at 2:41 PM, Clermont said:

Where have you been Tommy T and how's the house going.

Hi Clermont....

Thanks for the inquiry.

Been very busy with a new small land acquisition and development. I have learned to be on-site almost all time of each working day. Plus there is the ongoing landscaping as we endeavor to make our small property look and feel like a park and not just a house lot. We continue to mess with our veggie garden; the most thriving veggie is the square (wing) beans....want any? There are so many that we give many away to neighbours and friends. Otherwise, just trying to cope with ongoing virus caution and improving my style baking cookies and brownies.... Trying to keep life simple and rewarding.

And there are constant fixes and alterations to the house - fixing leaks, cracks. And training a headstrong but sometimes obedient "guard" dog. 

• Like 3
  • Love it 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

When I was giving the plumber advice on where he was going wrong, he walked off the job never to be seen again. The thing was I knew what I was talking about.

Now you know how I felt. :cheersty: by the way did he asked to be payed before he left. :hystery:

Clermont
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

And there are constant fixes and alterations to the house - fixing leaks, cracks.

Yes I feel it's going to be a problem for me, but keep tonged in cheek and just fix like you when their finished or I'll be like Onemore 52. :hystery:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Clermont said:

by the way did he asked to be payed before he left. :hystery:

I even had one like that come back 11 months later to ask for his 13th month Christmas pay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Yep...that's one of the risks I mentioned.  Still. if he's walking off because he doesn't like being told what to do because he's doing it wrong then no loss.

• Like 4