Has anyone used Cigna International / Cigna Global in the Philippines?

Balikbayan
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for a good comprehensive health insurance in the Philippines but can’t find any that provides full coverage for health maintenance exams/tests, hospitalization and medication (with reasonable co-pay), as well as direct pay to health provider (I don’t like insurance that is on a reimbursement basis)—similar to what I have in the US.  Cigna Global from the UK claims to provide them but I’ve read so many complaints about their refusal to approve treatment and/or raising rates once you use it.

Thanks!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Great topic and welcome to the forum. :tiphat:

Just to clarify..... I'm assuming you have moved to Philippines full time? Or as a visitor?

We have a recent thread on health care as a visitor in regards to the covid requirements. 

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

Balikbayan
Posted
Posted

I am planning on moving to the Philippines full time, but I’m concerned about not having comprehensive insurance. Most private Philippine health insurance coverage ends at 75 and provides low maximum amounts. While I’m still in good health, one can’t predict what will happen in the future. 

To clarify - I am looking for someone who actually has Cigna International global insurance and if they have used it in the Philippines. I’d like to know if they had any issues with Cigna refusing to cover medical treatments or if Cigna is unable to do direct payments—meaning, they pay the hospital directly instead of me paying and filing for reimbursement. Or worse, if Cigna raised their rates after they got an expensive treatment.

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I'm in the same boat as you, I tried looking up health insurance for when I'm over there and they all seem to want you to pay for the treatment then you have to ask them for reimbursement.  What I've decided to do is put a certain amount away each month until you have a fair whack to cover a heart attack or a major opp. If you have to rely on reimbursement you still have to have the money on hand. :whatever:

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Clermont said:

I'm in the same boat as you, I tried looking up health insurance for when I'm over there and they all seem to want you to pay for the treatment then you have to ask them for reimbursement.  What I've decided to do is put a certain amount away each month until you have a fair whack to cover a heart attack or a major opp. If you have to rely on reimbursement you still have to have the money on hand. :whatever:

I believe when Mike B had his motorbike accident some years ago now Pacific Cross came to the hospital to sort out payments. Was called Blue cross.

• Thanks 1

Balikbayan
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone for your input! 

• Like 1

Boinky69
Posted
Posted

I have a Cigna policy, they do have a long list of providers for the philippines but a lot seem to be manila based. The prefered model they use is pre-notification prior to attendance to a provider they hold an account with. In this way you attend and get treatment without paying - the provider dierct bills them. If it is an emergency you an attend anywhere and pay while notifiying them ASAP...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
Boinky69
Posted
Posted
On 4/16/2022 at 6:14 PM, Boinky69 said:

I have a Cigna policy, they do have a long list of providers for the philippines but a lot seem to be manila based. The prefered model they use is pre-notification prior to attendance to a provider they hold an account with. In this way you attend and get treatment without paying - the provider dierct bills them. If it is an emergency you an attend anywhere and pay while notifiying them ASAP...

I have just now cancelled this policy. It is certainly a "Gold Level Policy" in terms of coverage but the cost was getting prohibitive. I was paying around USD720.00 a month for global coverage (excluding USA) for unlimited medical cost coverage and medical evac. I also had optical and dental coverage. I had numerous claims (minor amounts for optical and dental) and they always refunded on presentation of the Invoices I settled. Cancelling the Policy was a little hard - they did not seem to want to end it and repetitively tried debiting my account..

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Been with Cigna since I retired 7 years ago. Then I was 60. Cost was about ok ( and I excluded US ) .....however i realised I rarely made any outpatient claims and so last year just made it for major hospitalisations coverage and that halved the annual fee. 

Thankfully still never been to a hospital but insurance is based on the what if premise.. what if you needed it.

Cigna say they have no upper age  limit but who knows what the cost would be aged 90! If the cost becomes too much over next few years will just cancel it and as Fleetwood Mac " go my own way "

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

If anyone is interested in Pacific Cross, send me a PM.  I'm not sure if I am allowed to post the agents name, who is an American based in Luzon.  He has many happy expat customers and he goes to bat for them whenever needed.  He is tight with Pacific Cross.  I have no skin in the game and have not pulled the trigger yet, but might need to sometime.  I was thinking about this last week when I went to the ER doubled over in pain!

Here is the latest Pacific Cross plan that he posted last month:

New plan for all ages! Heart attacks, strokes and cancer are now covered after 30 days!
These are the annual/yearly rates for the Pacific Cross peso plan. The ward level has a 1,000,000 annual benefit limit, the semi-private 1,500,000, and the private is 2,000,000, 3,000,000 or 5,000,000.
The plan includes an access card for hassle free check in. Pacific Cross settles your bill directly with the hospital. My team includes a registered nurse. We will ensure your admission to the hospital in an emergency. There are several testimonials posted in this group.
*Tourist visa is accepted
*Locals qualify

428620310_712856551048376_2663272775947293751_n.jpg