Password manager

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I never trusted saving passwords there because I don't know exactly how it is done, and if someone uses your computer, they automatically have your passwords and log into websites, right??? 

My laptop locks like the average cell phone.  I have to enter a password to start or refresh my laptop but once that is known then yes, they would automatically have access to my other passwords.  Is it different with a password Keeper?

My wife gets so frustrated as her work requires her to access their online job site daily, BUT they also insist on her changing her password every 3 weeks.  The old one stops working and she has to phone HR to get on and set a new one. Impossible to remember it so she has to use Chrome password filler or some other system.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Is it different with a password Keeper?

I still haven't done the research.  I will let you know if I find out the details of how it works in a more secure way.

The other thing with Chrome is that I was thinking that it stores the passwords on your computer.  That might be a risk if you get hacked, but just a guess.  Certainly no more risk than me keeping my passwords in Excel!  That is why I am hoping Keeper my be a solution.

• Like 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

I will buy a password manager just so I don’t have to suffer any more the recognition of fire hydrants, buses, hills,scooters.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

I will buy a password manager just so I don’t have to suffer any more the recognition of fire hydrants, buses, hills,scooters.

Traffic Signals are my pet hate on those - often the very edge of the signal encroaches onto a 2nd box causing (me) confusion.  And, do they want us to include the post for the signal as well?  So many ways to confuse us (me).

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Problem is it won't tell me its own password so I can't sign in to Google Chrome on any other device :feetontable_anim:

Yes it will, you can use other options to sign in or forgot password. Then you can go to Google passwords to view every stored password.

https://passwords.google.com/

Also you could sync Google with other devices. Another option if logged in, settings, export passwords and import. 

google 1.PNG google 2.PNG

Viking
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, hk blues said:

Just as a general observation - it has gotten ridiculous with password - I have more than 45 for various different things.  It's amusing to read sites where they say please don't write down your password and just remember it - if only!.  And, it's not easy to have the same passwords across sites etc as the criteria are so varied.  

Gone are the days when all we had to remember was the 4-digit PIN for the ATM! 

I am not too old when looking in my passport but when trying to remember my passwords I feel like I am getting senile!

45 passwords!!!

I use the same for all of the not so important stuff and then different passwords on the more sensitive applications.

The 4-digit PIN was not much better. Having many different cards created chaos in my head. There were numerous occasions when I stood at the ATM trying to remember my PIN, lots of people in the line behind me didn't made it easier to remember. 😂

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I still haven't done the research.  I will let you know if I find out the details of how it works in a more secure way.

For Keeper, I didn't find a easy to understand write up of how it works technically.  Most of the reviews mention:

For starters, Keeper uses strong encryption methods (256-bit AES) to secure all stored login credentials and sensitive files, and it offers a wide range of multi-factor authentication (MFA) options — including Touch ID and Face ID authentication.

It has excellent reviews and many features.  I will probably take the plunge.

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

I have been trying unsuccessfully for 3 hours to get keeper to work, and unsuccessfully I might add.

I reckon they are going to come back at me and say that it is because I am trying it on a iPad. 

I have sent emails to customer support giving them a step by step in detail of what steps I have done, and as usual they have replied to me repeating what I sent to them.

Yes, I have gone into settings and checked the auto fill passwords and also confirmed that “keeper “ is checked as well.

I am suffering with this as I have mentioned before because I am tired and sick of counting trees and the like.

looks as though I will be putting different coloured stickies on my wall in the next hour.

On a off subject I am also preserving with this in case my Mac computer ever arrives from Australia after it has travelled the world. It is now ten weeks since it left.

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

I was going to have another alcohol free day. That’s out the window.

phuck the password savers. My wall at the computer has started to fill up with yellow and green sticky things.

Now to check on more Important things. THANKS to mister Kelvinator, Mister Whirlpool and anybody else that does refrigerators. 

• Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Onemore52 said:

I have been trying unsuccessfully for 3 hours to get keeper to work, and unsuccessfully I might add.

I reckon they are going to come back at me and say that it is because I am trying it on a iPad. 

I have sent emails to customer support giving them a step by step in detail of what steps I have done, and as usual they have replied to me repeating what I sent to them.

Yes, I have gone into settings and checked the auto fill passwords and also confirmed that “keeper “ is checked as well.

I am suffering with this as I have mentioned before because I am tired and sick of counting trees and the like.

looks as though I will be putting different coloured stickies on my wall in the next hour.

On a off subject I am also preserving with this in case my Mac computer ever arrives from Australia after it has travelled the world. It is now ten weeks since it left.

Uh oh!

guinea-pig-242520_1920.jpg